Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New Afghanistan law!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ad_1980, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

thats awful :eek:

3. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Disgusting!!:mad:

4. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

That is awful!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

They actually stone women to death for BEING raped. I just cant understand the logic or thought behind such things.

I thankful for having been born in a more civilised and modern country.

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

I know, right?

It makes me wonder what this world is coming to...:(

7. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Same here! and we moan about things here!! It makes my blood boil that they are allowed to get away with this in this day and age!:(

8. whilst i compeletly disagree with the laws and the practices with regards to women in afghanistan, what right have we to intervene?

It is their culture, their law, their country - who the hell gave us the right to tell them how to live their lives?

I too am very thankful that i was born into a country that recognises equal rights and responsibilities.... i hate discrimination no matter who it is aimed at.

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The problem is, is that many of them come over here, and bring those laws and traditions and aspects of their culture into OUR country. Such as arranged marriages and honour killings. I dont think such things should be tolerated over here.

What they do in their country, should remain in their country.

10. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Because it is barbaric! whilst I agree that on the whole we should leave countries alone this is something that should be stopped! just think if we had not had someone start the ball on stopping slavery and things like that??? plus they are like it in this country with arranged marriges and things - women have been killed over arranged marriages and them rebelling -

#10 suzy93074, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  11. Dylan & Daisy

Dylan & Daisy PetForums VIP

I guess we can only voice our disgust at such laws and ill treatment of women but there is little we can do to change the culture and thought processes of barbarians.

I totally agree though that if people from such countries want to live here, then they must follow the laws of our society and should not be allowed to insist on having their own cultural laws thrust upon us. We would not be able to live within these countries and insist on English law prevailing. It's time the govenment ensured that foreigner's who wish to take residency in this country, abide by the rules and not pander to their needs.

12. What someone does in this country is subject to OUR laws, and those individuals deserve to have the book thrown at them...

I agree with you its barbaric - but what gave us the right to tell them what to do?

The slave trade, we abolished it in 1807 - the last country to my knowledge to abolish slavery was 1981 when mauritania abolished slavery. It wasnt only britains doing that made other countries abolish slavery.

the afghani people may see some of our customs as abhorrant - do they have the right to change our laws?

I'm notgoing to get worked up here, am playing devils advocate. I agree their practices are WRONG, but i still dont see what gives us the right to tell them what to do. Surely there are other ways of conveying the message accross?

Trade embargos for example?

By the way - if a person of another original nationality is now living in this country as a british citizen (born here as many multicultural people are), then its not a THEM in OUR country - this is their country too.

13. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Of course if they are born here then this is their country Im not saying they shouldnt practise their own regligions etc BUT there has to be a point where something has to be done when peoples lives are at risk-I just think its very sad:(

14. Dylan & Daisy

Im not saying i, nor anyone else has a right to change their laws or tell them how to apply them in their society but i do have the right to voice my disgust at the way a group in that society is being mistreated/abused etc.

We as a nation are by no means perfect and we have mistreated others during past centuries but we have at least, learnt to treat people with more equality but yes....we still get things wrong but not so radically.

A person of another nationality who is now living here as a british citizen should see it as their country and abide by it's rules (those born here are automatically british citizens but also have dual nationality)..... dont think anyone disputes the fact that the UK should be seen as their country. I think the point being made was that if they are British Cits then they shouldnt try to have their own cultural laws/beliefs thrust upon this nation.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

The problem is, is that they want their laws introduced here, and have already succeeded in a small way..

Revealed: UK’s first official sharia courts - Times Online

16. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

They'd better not allow this new law here in this country or i am so emigrating - that or i'll just kill myself. I'll be damned if i live in a country that allows such disgusting.....behaviour.

What next?

17. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Last Saturday whilst in Town I had a lady come up to me to sign a petition for a friend of hers who lives in this country she is a christian and her family are christians too - however most of her family live in a muslim society abroad - she did tell me where but I cannot remember...anyway her family were all set fire on for being christian!! but nothing is being done to punish them...there were kids within in that family:( and they were burnt alive...why do people get away with it??? :(:(

18. I think anyone i allowed to voice their disgust too! I completely agree with you! I think the treatment of afghani women is abhorrent!

As to thrusting the cultural laws or beliefs- they are entitled to their own beliefs just as we are - however noone should be exempt from the law, and where a cultural law is opposed to a national law, then the national law is the one which must be upheld and abided by.

Anyone who lives in this country (or any other conutry for that matter) should be subject to the laws of that country - no matter what their religion, culture or belief system.

19. Dylan & Daisy

That would solve nothing!!! If we all left cos we despised a law or 'killed ourselves' :mad:...what kind of stand against inhumane/abhorrant behaviour is that??

20. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Yep I Agree! thats why I think if people are disgrased by this behaviour they should speak out!! thats what gets things changed ultimately, just shrugging it off and saying oh well is not gonna help anybody -

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice