Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New 8 week old kitten! Need advice!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Daniel Robin Bennett, Jun 10, 2019 at 7:19 PM.

?

Are we doing okay as owners?

1. Yes, you're doing fine!

100.0%
  2. There is a lot of room for improvement!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Daniel Robin Bennett

Daniel Robin Bennett PetForums Newbie

Me and my girlfriend recently adopted an 8 week old (tortoise shell) kitten as our first pet. I have had a family cat before, but she is more familliar with dogs so this is very new for us!

Everything is fine except a few small things, so we wondered if anybody had any advice for us :)

- She LOVES to run and hide behind the sofa despite being told not to. (We think she will grow out of this)
    - I havent seen her drink water more than a couple of times? Is this normal?
    - She uses the litter box 9/10 times, but has pooped and peed on the bed once before. Any advice on how to deal/prevent this. We simply told her no, whilst pointing at the poo, and then placed her in the litter box.

Info: when this happened I placed her in the litter box, stripped the bed, then placed her in the empty bath tub and wiped her tail and paws as she had made a mess! After cleaning, she was very shit, and somewhat apologetic for what she had done. She almost acted as if she wanted me to SEE her use the litter box the next time she needed to us it.

She is very well behaved, and has a big personality, but still young so mistakes and learning are normal!

2. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

maybe she doesn’t speak English

Very entertaining.

Daniel Robin Bennett likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Daniel Robin Bennett and welcome. :

Your kitten is very young to be away from her mum and litter mates and she is in a new environment, feeling overwhelmed by all the strange new sounds and scents and the new humans.

Please do not tell her off. Cats do not learn by being chastised, instead of you teaching her, you will just make her fearful of you.

As she is so young and you only recently adopted her she needs to have her own safe room at present, with at least 2 litter trays. Give her the type of litter she was used to at the breeders.

if she has diarrhoea then please take her to the vet a.s.a.p.. Diarrhoea is not normal and can be dangerous for a young kitten because they can become dehydrated quickly and then get ill, going downhill fast. She was not being "apologetic" for having made a mess on her paws and tail, she was upset by what had happened to her and frightened of you being cross with her, bless her.

The diarrhoea may be due to a change of diet since she left the breeder. She would be best fed on what she was eating at the breeders, then you can slowly change her diet once she has settled in, in a few week's time. Do not feed her dry food, it is not good for her, she is not able to drink enough water to hydrate it.

If you are feeding her only wet food then she doesn't need to drink water, she is getting all her fluids in her food.

Please do not give her milk, cats cannot digest it and can cause them diarrhoea.

She needs to be allowed to have safe places to hide when she feels wary. I see nothing wrong with her hiding behind the sofa when she wants to, she is not causing any harm is she? Please do not ever tell her off for hiding and do not pull her out of a hiding place. She will come out when she feels safe to do so.

#3 chillminx, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:34 AM
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 2:28 PM
    Lurcherlad, AmsMam, sandy-cat and 8 others like this.
  4. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I don't know why your kitten is behaving like this after you told her not to.:rolleyes: I have just asked my cat what she thinks but she didn't answer. She doesn't understand English.;)

Your kitten is just being a kitten. She isn't being rebellious or naughty she is just doing what kittens do. At 8 weeks she is just a baby.

lorilu, chillminx, sandy-cat and 3 others like this.
  5. Daniel Robin Bennett

Hi, since yesterday she used her hiding place as more of a playing area. Also I can assure you I havent been telling her off, just praising good behaviour and correcting the mistakes and being encouraging!! for example, when she does something right, a stroke and a tickle is given!! I appreciate the advice, her poo seems normal too! :)

sandy-cat, MissMiloKitty and ewelsh like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

She would understand how to be a cat better if she hadn't been taken from mum so young. She should have been with mum and litter mates until she was 12-13 weeks old

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  7. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Being a cat and dog slave I can tell you the two are not alike when it comes to training.

Dogs learn, cats do not take training well. They do their own thing and will learn to train you.

Shut the bedroom door, lots of litter trays too.

You will notice your kitten will have a timed toilet habit so make a note and stand by ready to pop little one into a tray IF you think she will go somewhere she shouldn’t.

My older cat practically lived behind the sofa for the first two weeks, they do tend to prefer the smaller places as they feel safe.

Lots of play, lots of cuddles and leave well alone when the kitten is sleeping.

I can tell you love her already.

Lots of pics please we love to see our new members grow.

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Praising good behaviour is the right thing to do :)

But you can't verbally tell a cat or a kitten not to do something. Cats don't learn from being "told". All that will do is puzzle her.

It is possible kitty soiled your bed to scent-mark it to help her feel less strange and scared. This is what cats do sometimes when they feel stressed.

Or it may be that she couldn't find the litter tray. So please add more litter trays and spread them around. Keep your bedroom door closed at present so she can not get in there.

If she poos away from the litter tray please say nothing, and do not point out her 'mistake' to her. Instead, quietly and calmly scoop up the poo, place it in the nearest litter tray and leave it there for a couple of hours. There is no need to show it to her, she will smell it in the tray.

If she pees away from the litter tray mop it up with a piece of kitchen paper towel or loo paper and place it in a litter tray and leave it for a while. Again no need to make any comment to kitty or point out her 'mistake' to her.

If she keeps soiling with urine, then you need to take her to the vet and have her checked for a urinary tract infection or cystitis.

I am glad she doesn't have diarrhoea. Her stools should be formed and firm, not soft, squishy or loose.

Lurcherlad, AmsMam, sandy-cat and 2 others like this.
  9. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Its pointless to say she left Mum at too young an age, however true that is.
    Don't allow her in the bedroom - I know its nice to have them in bed with you but she will pee or poo on your bedding to scent it to make herself feel at home, its very very common, also there is a chance you may lie on her during the night. Harden your heart and keep her out.
    Why don't you want her to play behind the sofa? Mine all love playing behind the furniture and its fine by me (as long as they don't poo).

10. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

It's not pointless at all. Not only does it benefit the OP who knows for the future if they get another kitten, it also benefits lurkers. It's a point that cannot be made enough.

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  11. Daniel Robin Bennett

Yes she is amazing! Thank you :)))

12. Daniel Robin Bennett

Yes, since then all poos and pees have been in the litter tray! She is very playful and loves to nap with me and my girlfriend afterwards! That advice is very helpful thank you! :)

13. Daniel Robin Bennett

I was worried that if somebody sat on the sofa if would scare her or maybe even hurt her!! She loves the bed, and she wakes in the morning with us to use the litter tray! She has slept there every night so would it be ok to continue, as changing this may confuse her and I dont want her to feel rejected (When she pooped, she was meowing for a while, and I had moved the litter box, so i think she tried to warn me, and also got confused)

14. ExD

ExD PetForums Senior

Lol - join the gang of cat slaves! She's got you well trained already! :Cat

15. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Daniel, It sounds as though kitty is settling in well. :) I am glad she is using the litter tray OK now. Excellent news.

Never move a litter tray, it just confuses a cat if you do that, and they may soil the floor where the tray stood. Instead add extra litter trays so there is always one near the kitten when she needs to use one.

Cats like separate trays for pee and poo, so she needs at least 2 trays, but I would give her 3 trays as she is so young still.

3 small to medium size trays spread around the home is much better for her than one large tray.

16. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

If you follow the advice of our lovely @chillminx you won’t go far wrong!

I was going to do your poll and initially say lot of room for improvement - but you seem to be taking loads on board so I haven’t voted as yet.

I hope you continue to enjoy the journey of being a new kitten owner and you both bring each other much joy!

Stick around - this forum is a great place for support and advice and we love to see gorgeous kittens develop and blossom into fabulous cats!

17. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

It is not pointless, I agree @Rufus15 . However, it's also not helpful to a new poster to these forums to offer no constructive advice but simply to tell them "you should have done XYZ" (something which may well have been outside of their control), especially in such a blunt manner. It can actually be extremely discouraging to read these sorts of posts and can/will put people off returning, which is surely an undesirable outcome all round as it means the owner will not benefit from the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

@chillminx has excellent advice as ever.

@Daniel Robin Bennett - welcome to the forums. Really hope you stick around and I'd love to see pics of your new kitty :)

18. Daniel Robin Bennett

Thank you!! She has her first vaccination today :) I will take the advice on board!

19. Daniel Robin Bennett

Im glad you changed your mind!! We are doing our best to have a happy family

huckybuck and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  20. Daniel Robin Bennett

Thank you for the encouraging words!! We are all here to gain and share advice, so happy for constructive criticism!!

sandy-cat, huckybuck and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice