Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New 60 l cold water tank. How many fish?

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Simone88, Aug 9, 2019.

1. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

The test strips are known for being inaccurate. It's definitely worthwhile investing in a liquid test kit such as the API as mentioned above. With Prime, daily water tests, and water changes whenever ammonia/nitrite are detected, as @3dogs2cats says, you can get them through this.

2. Simone88

Simone88 PetForums Newbie

Thank you for the advice. I bought ammonia remover which according to the tests (I'm using the tetra app) has worked. However the minnows aren't doing well at all. I've lost some more and the remaining ones have now what looks like fin rot. I'm not sure what to do. The biorb has long been emptied unfortunately.
    Is it possible that a disease was brought in by one of the plants? Or is it possible that the tank was contaminated even though it has been empty for 10 years?
    I feel so bad for the minnows.

3. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I`m sorry your minnows are poorly, I image the most likely cause will be because they were placed into an uncycled tank. All of us have made mistakes in fish keeping at some point it happens! The best way you are going to help your remaining fish is ensure the water is kept free from ammonia and nitrites which means testing everyday and having water ready to do partial water changes. What ammonia remover are you using because as far as I am aware there is no such thing, products like prime lock ammonia to make it safe for a certain amount of time but nothing actually removes it until you have cycled the tank.
    Please don't be throwing lots of chemicals into the tank to try to improve the situation, you need to cycle the tank and you now have no choice but to do a fish in cycle.

NaomiM likes this.
  4. NaomiM

Agree with all this. I don't have experience of the Tetra app so don't know how accurate it is, but as your tank is uncycled and your fish are clearly showing symptoms, I'd recommend doing a 50% water change daily for a while.

ETA - I just Googled the Tetra app, and it looks like just an advisory guide that you use with the test strips. It really would be worthwhile getting a proper liquid test kit - ammonia and nitrite need to be at 0 for the cycle to be complete and for the water changes to no longer be necessary, and with the inaccuracy of the test strips it's going to be very hard to tell when this happens.

5. Simone88

Good morning, I tried my hardest but despite the water changes and ammonia treatment (a generic one, the shop didn't have the one you recommended) the remaining fish were gasping for air. This has never happened to me before. I had no problems with the biorb and I used to keep (tropical) fish as a teenager. Obviously this time I was unlucky.
    As they were gasping for air I scooped out the remaining fish and placed them in a container with fresh water. They immediately perked up and made it through the night.
    Question now of course is what do I do with them? No pet shop will take them back and I only know people with tropical tanks.
    Btw , my partner seems to think a coconut may have caused all the issues. I was cycling the tank for a while when I added a planted coconut from the pet shop. Could this have contained the tank at all?

6. NaomiM

The coconut shouldn't have caused any problems unless it or anything attached to it is rotting.

Do you have any reliable water test results yet? How often are you doing water changes, and what percentage?

Could anything else have got into the tank water? For example, has anyone sprayed anything in the room (air freshener, deodorant, cleaning products etc) or do you have any plug-in air fresheners etc?

3dogs2cats likes this.
  7. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

As NaomiM has said unlikely unless something on it - plant or snail maybe, has died.
    When you first got the tank did you clean it with anything? Also how long were the minnows in the Biorb before you transferred them to the 60l?

Please do say how you are conducting water changes and your testing regime, what conditioner you are using and what chemicals you are adding to the water. The more information we have to more we can help you. :)

8. Simone88

Good morning. Thank you all for your help. MA were kind enough to "adopt" the minnows. That's one worry off my mind.
    I had a couple of dead minnows I couldnt find anywhere in the tank so I had to completely empty it. I am now starting fresh (new sand, plants) , with a heater this time. I'll take all your advice on board when it comes to cycling the tank. I've binned the test strips and will buy API and the prime products.
    The minnows lived in the Biorb for about 6 months. I never had any problems (apart from Biorb being a rubbish product).
    Also, I only cleaned the tank with water. I didn't use any other products. I guess the tank wasn't cycled enough and I introduced too many minnows at once. Such a shame. I remember when I first used the tank (16 years ago...) And the pet shops then said it was ok to introduce fish after 3 days ... And strangely enough none of the fish died. Hence why I thought I've got bigger problems in my tank than "just" ammonia.
    Anyway, this time i will wait and do regular water tests

9. NaomiM

Glad you found somewhere to take the minnows, though sorry it had to come to that.

Have a read through the fishless cycling thread, and feel free to ask if you need any help/advice with the cycling process :)

3dogs2cats likes this.
  10. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Morning Simone88, I am glad you have managed to find a solution.
    Fishkeeping is always a learning curve. The problem in my opinion was the tank was not cycled at all! LFS will often say set up tank and leave 3 days to cycle, this is nonsense, without an ammonia source the filter will not be able to start to cycle.
    Have a read of this thread: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/how-to-do-a-fishless-cycle.512107/ If you need any help at all in performing a fishless cycle do ask.

Sorry NaomiM I was typing at the same time but I am a very slow typist!

NaomiM likes this.
  11. Simone88

Great post, thank you. Our water in the south is quite hard. Any fish recommendations?
    It's still 60l, fluval filter and heater, lots of plants and sand substrate.

12. NaomiM

The fishless cycle will take a little while, but the advantage of this is you'll have lots of time to decide on what to stock :)

Hard water is great for livebearers. Guppies, platys and/or endlers would all be suitable, though if you keep endlers and guppies together, be sure to get males only to avoid interbreeding. Tbh I'd go for males only on any of those, to avoid being overrun.

Hard water is also great for cherry and amano shrimp.

I have hard water too and keep neon tetras, bronze corys and espei rasboras in my 70L. Like many fish, they ideally prefer soft water, but they're pretty adaptable. The same goes for many of the other popular species - dwarf/honey gouramis, cherry barbs, bristlenose pleco, harlequin rasboras to name just a few.

I've not kept them, but galaxy rasboras/celestial pearl danios are lovely little fish that do well in moderately hard water. They need a well planted setup with lots of hiding places, and ideally a dark substrate and cover from floating plants.

13. Simone88

Hello all,

I have 7 (happy) Danios in my tank. How many bronze corys can I add? Is a school of 5 too big?

14. NaomiM

Assuming your water tests are now reading consistently clear for ammonia and nitrite (i.e. the fishless cycle is complete), a shoal of 4-6 corys will be absolutely fine. I reckon you'll even have room for a few more small fish (i.e. one small shoal or a couple of feature fish) :)

15. Simone88

Really? On top of the Cory's and Danios?
    Yes, water is perfect. I am using the API test kits. And Danios have been very happy and active

16. NaomiM

Take a look at aqadvisor.com. It's a site where you can enter your tank dimensions and the fish you have/are interested in, and it will calculate your approximate stocking level.

You won't have room for loads more, but I'd have thought you could get one more small species in. Corys have quite a low bioload, so they don't raise the stocking level by very much.

Incidentally, what temp are you running at? If you're keeping this tank unheated/temperate, you might want to consider peppered corys rather than bronze, as they're more suited to lower temps.

17. Simone88

Good evening, the tank is heated. Currently at 23 C. Unfortunately the website doesn't work or is currently down :( so you are thinking 7 Danios, 5 Cory's and perhaps
    5 neon tetras or
    2 platys?

Obviously there's no rush, it's just nice to know what options there are.

18. NaomiM

Yeah, something like that should be fine :)

I have a 70L tank, so only slightly larger than yours, with 5 bronze corys, 6 neon tetra, 6 espei rasboras and some shrimp, and I could potentially add a couple of platys or something similar without being overstocked :)

ETA if you do get neons, get 6 rather than 5 as 6 is generally considered the minimum number :)

19. Simone88

Hello all,

More questions :) I really like the fluval U2 filter but so far 2 (very curious) Danios have died behind the filter. They get stuck in the weirdest place. When I try to free them they are already dead and their little bodies look completely battered. Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening? I thought about putting a bit of sponge between the filter and the glass?

Also, I seem to have misplaced the instructions for my filter :(
    What's the best way of changing the filter media without disturbing the cycle? The U2 filter has 3 different compartments.

Thank you in advance.
    Simone

20. NaomiM

I've had this same problem with Fluval powerheads - I lost one neon and two platy fry. A bit of filter sponge wedged in the gap solved it for me.

Re filter maintenance, you shouldn't have to actually replace any of the media except for the top wool pad if there is one, and then only if it's falling to pieces. Clean the wool pad weekly by squeezing it out in old tank water, but the other media will need much less cleaning - just a gentle swish in old tank water every few months. Since there's three compartments, I'd suggest rotating which one you clean each month. Make sure you don't let untreated tapwater come into contact with anything in the filter at any point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice