Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

New 60 l cold water tank. How many fish?

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Simone88, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Simone88

Simone88 PetForums Newbie

Hello all, I'm currently cycling a new 60l cold water tank. I already have 8 minnows in a different tank which I will add to the new tank in a couple of weeks. What other (compatible ) fish can I add? I have 5 live plants in there. I'm not looking to overstock but would like to add a couple of bigger, eye-catching fish if possible.
    Also, I bought a Betta 6000 internal filter however it came with no instructions and I cant find anything online. I assume the whole filter needs to be submerged in the water?
    Many thanks in advance :)

Attached Files:

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Hi, welcome back :)

There's not a huge amount of coldwater fish you can keep in a tank that size. Even the minnows would ideally be in a slightly larger tank as they're such active little fish, but i believe you've upgraded from a 30L (is that right?) so 60L will obviously be an improvement :)

If the room doesn't ever drop colder than 18-20 C, there's a few options, though I'd still recommend adding a heater set to 20 C to be on the safe side (it will rarely come on so will cost next to nothing in running costs).

- Florida flagfish - nice little kilifish. Get a ratio of 2 females to every 1 male. Can be prone to constipation/bloat, so be careful not to overfeed.
    - Variatus platy (be sure to get true variatus, not the more brightly-coloured southern platys, which are tropical fish). Breed like rabbits - best to get males only if you don't want to be overrun.
    - Zebra or leopard danios - like the minnows, they would ideally prefer a slightly larger setup, but they should just about be OK in a 60L. They come in normal or gold varieties. Get 6+ as they're shoaling fish.
    - Peppered corys - very active and characterful bottom-dwelling fish. They should be kept in groups of 4+.
    - Bulldog/rubberlip pleco - small, algae-eating pleco that likes temperate water with a bit of a flow. Add a powerhead at the bottom of the tank to keep the water moving.

3. Simone88

Hello Naomi

Thank you for your reply :) this "new" tank ist actually new. I used to keep fish as a teenager so my parents thought I might want the tank back. Of course, I would have loved a larger tank. I will definitely upgrade again!
    Back then, I used to have a tropical tank. I assume you mean I could keep a slightly bigger variety of fish in a topical tank?
    Couple more questions : the filter I got is incredibly noisy and powerful. Can you recommend an alternative one?
    And, where do you get your fish from? Pets at home is a no go (they would sell me about 30 fish). Is Maidenhead aquatics any good? They do have a great selection and lovely displays.
    Many thanks

4. NaomiM

The fish I recommended above are temperate, meaning they need lower temperatures than tropical (18-22 C) but they're not true coldwater so a heater set to 20 C is recommended for cold days. I wouldn't recommend going tropical (usually 24-25 C) in your case as your minnows will have shortened lifespans above 22 C.

I can't advise much on filters as I've always just used the one that comes with the tank, but I'm sure someone else can give good advice :)

Maidedhead Aquatics is generally good, though as with all chains it will vary by individual store.

5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Maybe just add more minnows, they do look their best in bigger shoals. I have a fluval U2 in my 64l tank it is virtually silent I have had it some years now and have never had a problem with it.
    Regarding where to buy fish, personally I prefer a good independent LFS that uses mains water, as that water will closely match my own. MA, as Naomi says, vary, there was one fairly local that was ok, that has now closed the other one in the area I do not touch as they don't seem to care about anything other than making a sale. I have overheard a staff member at [email protected] really grill a potential customer about their tank and knowledge and then tell them they don't think the fish they were interested in would be suitable, so again I think it comes down to individual shops and staff/management. Definitely shop around and hope you find somewhere decent then pray they don't change hands!

6. Simone88

Hello,

Thanks so much for your reply. I bought the U2 filter at the weekend (before even reading your reply) and it is amazing!! No sound at all. It was recommended by MA.
    I do like minnows! Very pretty and hardy.
    Just need some bottom dwellers now.
    Also, perhaps a stupid question but with the warm weather my tank is currently at 24C. A bit too warm for minnows? Can a heater (set to 20) bring the temperature down as well??

7. NaomiM

A heater can't reduce the temperature unfortunately. 24 C isn't too bad, especially in the short term. You can ease the temps a bit by doing partial water changes that are a degree or two cooler than the tank. Some people recommend floating a bag full of ice cubes by the filter outflow on the hottest days. Keeping the lights off will also help, especially if they're the fluorescent tube type, as these can really push the temperature up.

8. Simone88

Yes ,I think the light doesn't help. I do have quite a few plants in there though. Suppose it's fine as long as it doesn't go over 24 C :)

9. Simone88

Hi all, sorry I do have another question. I love the U2 filter but I think it might still be too strong for the minnows!? I have it on a slow flow setting (for planted fish tanks). One died yesterday and he looked absolutely battered :(
    Do I need to reposition it?

10. NaomiM

If you can point the outflow towards the tank wall, this will baffle the flow. Sorry about your minnow :(

3dogs2cats likes this.
  11. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Sorry you have lost a minnow, I would be surprised however if they couldn't cope with the flow mine love the flow.
    You can also baffle the flow by cutting out a small section from a pair of tights and fitting it over the filter to cover the outflow, It works perfectly to keep the flow less turbulent, I do it for my Bettas as they don't like a strong flow.

NaomiM likes this.
  12. Simone88

I think another Minnow also damaged one of its fins. It's really odd. Some of them seem to love swimming against the flow and others mingle at the bottom. At the moment the filter is on the side so the flow goes along the bigger part of the tank. You think I should reposition it on the other side?

13. NaomiM

Can you swivel the outflow pipe so that it points sideways at the wall? Or use tights as @3dogs2cats suggests, or even a small piece of filter sponge wedged in the outflow.
    Did you move your old filter media into the new filter, or are you running the old one alongside the new one? What are your water test results?

3dogs2cats likes this.
  14. Simone88

I will try both options. They are different filters so I couldn't transfer any of the media.
    Water is ok but I will take it to pet shop just to be sure. However I don't think it's the water as the minnow looked "damaged".
    I dont think it's a particular strong flow but the minnows have come from a Biorb. Biorbs have no flow at all. I'm now worried about losing another Minnow. But if the fin is damaged there's not a lot I can do. I'll see if the nozzle can be swiveled when I get home. Thanks

15. NaomiM

Damaged fins can regrow. The worry is the risk of infection. It's important to keep the water quality absolutely perfect - no trace of ammonia or nitrite, and no more than 40 ppm nitrate.

Melafix can also be used to aid healing as it's a mild antiseptic. But the water quality is the most important thing. What are you using to test it?

If you are using a new, uncycled filter without transferring any of the media or running the old one from the 30L tank alongside it, you are doing a fish-in cycle, which means you will have ammonia present. This will be causing the problem.

It's generally possible to put at least some of the old media in a different brand of filter. Sponges can be cut up, baskets can be opened and ceramic media transferred. If the old filter has been kept wet, it's still worth doing this. Or if you really can't transfer the media, squeeze some water from the old filter sponge into the new filter, and then run the two alongside each other for a couple of weeks.

#15 NaomiM, Aug 13, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    3dogs2cats likes this.
  16. NaomiM

3dogs2cats likes this.
  17. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I have just recycled my 64l after it had been left dormant for a few months, its previous occupant was a solitary betta so very understocked yet in less than 2weeks it is able to cycle 3ppm Ammonia in 12 hours. Looking back on my logs when it was originally cycled it took me approx. 6 weeks. It is amazing if the filter is kept wet how quick the dormant BB wake up!

Simone88 if you relocated your minnows to your new tank with a new filter unfortunately you are now as @NaomiM says doing a fish in cycle and this is most likely the cause of the problem with the minnows. The Biorb would have used substrate as its media, you could possibly fit some of the smaller pieces in the media cartridge of the U2, that will help , also the round white sponges can be cut to fit your filter. Put some of the biorb substrate in a small net bag ( or the foot end of the tights if you going to buy some to baffle the filter) and tie that in front of the flow or if you have air pipe going into the tank direct the end of that to go through the substrate - I think that will work @NaomiM ? Personally I wouldn't baffle the filter while you are cycling, the process is quicker with a good flow.

Your other option of course is to put the minnows back in the biorb while you cycle your new tank, if you do the above and use old substrate it shouldn't take long, if you do decide to do this whack the heat up ( if you have a heater that is) have the flow fully open and keep the tank dark. We can help you through the fishless cycle process.

Do you have a test kit? I ask because you mention taking the water to be tested at the pet shop. If you don't have a test kit I strongly recommend you get one. I use API master kit, you can get it online for about £20 it lasts a while. There is a saying that `we don't keep fish we keep water` very true in my opinion and you will need to regularly test during a fishless cycle or fish in cycle anyway, liquid tests work out much cheaper than strips.

NaomiM likes this.
  18. Simone88

19. Simone88

It's probably best to give the minnows away before they all die a horrible death. Can you take them to just any pet shop? I've had them for a while.
    Yes, I have a test kit (strips) but clearly something went horribly wrong.

20. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

You don't need to give them away, if the biorb was cycled they could go back in there until new tank cycled or if you follow the advice on transferring media you can do a fish in cycle. Do you have Prime?, it's a water conditoner that will make ammonia none toxic up to 48hrs. It is more expensive than other conditioners but it lasts for ages so very cost effective.
    I doubt any pet shop or lfs will take your minnows to be honest and there is no reason to give them away, if you are very vigilante about partial water changes as soon as ammonia is detected you can do a fish in cycle.

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice