UK Pet Forums Forum banner

New 6 week old Kitten

918 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Charwarr 
#1 ·
Hi,

I've just got a 6week old kitten yesterday. Since coming home she has had diarrhea. Is it just because she is in a new environment? She was obviously really nervous when she got home but she has calmed down a lot now.

Whats best to settle her tummy?

Ta

Smidge x

See less See more
G
#3 ·
ohmygod your cat is so cute :D

I'm not sure what to do to help an upset stomach but do you have an idea why your cats stomach might be iffy?

Have you changed Smidge's food recently? I find it is best to mix some of their old food with their new food to kind of wean them onto the new food. That can really go a long way to stopping upset stomachs.

I would make sure that water is topped up and the lil kitten knows where it is at all times too :) best of luck.

#5 ·
Six weeks seems a bit early - think 8 weeks is around the norm for moggy kits. I would give her something very bland like cooked white fish (coley) with a little boiled rice and/or cooked chicken with rice - just small portions (and add a tablespoon of water over it to ensure she is getting liquid) for the next 24 hours and then gradually reintroduce her kitten food. If she continues with the diarrhea then go to the vet as she may get dehydrated.

It will probably be due to the change of environment/water etc. Don't forget to get her vaccinated as soon as you are able if she hasn't already been done.

She is very pretty. Let us know how she goes on.

#6 ·
Thanks! She is a adorable!

Ive mixed her old and new food, so i'm just guessing it is because of a new environment. If it does carry on I will be taking her to the vets! :D

Luckily she is very well litter trained!!!

Her waters where she can see it at all times aswell.

Thanks!!

#7 ·
Cheers ChinaBlue, I will def try the food.

I was told 6weeks was okay for her to leave her mother by the owner of the kittens, as he has been selling the kittens for years, so was unaware that she may be to young, she does seem to be settling though.

Cx

#9 ·
That is cute, I love your cat and love the name.

I am going to agree with what Chinablue suggested, but also I got some pro-biotics for my kitten from the vets only cost about 4 quid, and it really helped shmitty and his dodgy tum, which is still dodgy from time to time too, as he was also a little too young to come to us.

Sometimes a nice bit of cooked chicken (NO BONES) chopped finely, or cod (again no bones) can help and is bland and dry-ish for them.

Don't give it any milk other than special kitten milk.

Yes please for updates, I love updates!

#12 ·
Smidge is doing loads better already! phew!

Rice and Chicken worked a treat! She loved it. So much more settled too.

She's found my boyfriends skateboard too, which she loves playing with, on and under!!!! Spinning the wheels fascinates her haha!!

:D:D:D

Cx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.