UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just finished changing the bedding on my own & it has been a job that has doubled in time all because of a 18 week old kitten:eek:.
I will admit some of that time was spent laughing at the positions Oakley got himself into:lol:, but from now on I will be relying on OH's help :D
What other household jobs will now become longer with a kitten? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
It gets harder the bigger they get, Monty still at the age of 3 and a bit of porker throws himself all over the place and hangs off the sheet and pillow cases and duvet as you try to change the bed what used to be a 5 minute job has turned into a 20 minute tussle and struggle with a big ginger cat :D

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
this is a great game for cats right until the end! my siamese Luci loved this right up until her death at 15!!

Now I have two cats at the same time, such fun for all concerned :lol:

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
18 weeks or two years - they still want to 'help'!!! :rolleyes: :D

When I wash down the kitchen worktops, Abby & McGee both jump up afterwards to inspect them and make sure I have done a good job.

When clearing out littler trays, you can gurantee one of them will go in to make sure I don't miss any bits.

When painting the garden fence, McGee was very helpful as he rubbed himself against the paint to see if it was dry yet.

And THAT is only the tip of the iceberg.................... :arf:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I get the picture now, there is no hope.:eek:
We have obviously been very lucky with Chilli as she has never been interested in things like that so for the last 11 years household chores have been boring;), but there is a little part of me that now feels sad that obviously what ever went on in Chilli's early life before she came to us she never had fun.:(

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
We have obviously been very lucky with Chilli as she has never been interested in things like that so for the last 11 years household chores have been boring;), but there is a little part of me that now feels sad that obviously what ever went on in Chilli's early life before she came to us she never had fun.:(
I feel the same way about my Frankie :( I've cried for him and feel he's missed out on so much :(

·
Mentored by Meeko
26,474 Posts
I've found with Meeko if there is any chance a cat can "help" he will do his best to oblige :rolleyes: :lol::lol:

So far very little has proved to be beyond his capabilities :rolleyes:
He is a fully paid up member of the furry apprentice club ;)

·
Registered
23,934 Posts
I feel the same way about my Frankie :( I've cried for him and feel he's missed out on so much :(
If it helps ladies, some kittens are very playful and then suddenly, one day, they just become all grown up and just stop doing playful things. They turn into staid old cats and do the sleeping, eating thing until they are old codgers. It doesn't always point to them having had a rough life and no longer wanting to play or being able to.

When Oscar was a kitten he was really full of beans. The flat I lived in had a load of picture hooks in the hallway and we hung some old baseball caps on them. This was fine until we replaced our bed mattress and the old one was propped against the wall - under the baseball caps - until we could get rid of it.

Well, a certain little ginger kitten thought this mattress was his own personal playground and used to go mental on it. His favourite trick was knocking the baseball caps down. :rolleyes: He was a right little bundle of mischief.

But when he was about 2.5 - 3yrs, this fun all stopped and he became a serious wee man!!! He's now 14.5yrs old but he's been that age for over 11yrs. He's been a pampered puss all his life so there was no reason for him not playing except that he didn't want to.

I hope this makes you both feel a bit better and less sad. Maybe your kitties did have their fun but had 'grown up' by the time you got them :eek:

This picture is from one day when the baseball caps moved faster than Oscar could. :lol:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you Moggybaby for the words of wisdom & the picture gave me a giggle too. :lol:
I think that when you adopt a rescue cat you are never really certain of their past & in our case for Chilli they were not even too sure of her age :( so it always makes you wonder whether they were always going to be standoffish or whether their past makes them that way.
We tend not to over think it too much as we know that we have given her a loving home & she is a spoilt princess (and she knows it):D:D it is just that seeing Oakley behave like the youngster he is brings home how quiet & slow Chilli has always been

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
i occasionally try to sneakily change the bed while he's asleep in the other room to save time... never works, he can hear the rustle of the duvet from several rooms away!! :rolleyes:
It's the snap of the unfurling sheet that does that at my house, I have tried the sneaky approach with Moo and I have manage to strip the bed silently but re-making has never been a Monty free activity.

Maudey Cat will look on in disgust as she would never lower herself to help with changing the bed she just like to sleep in it.

·
Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks
14,968 Posts
If it helps ladies, some kittens are very playful and then suddenly, one day, they just become all grown up and just stop doing playful things. They turn into staid old cats and do the sleeping, eating thing until they are old codgers. It doesn't always point to them having had a rough life and no longer wanting to play or being able to.

When Oscar was a kitten he was really full of beans. The flat I lived in had a load of picture hooks in the hallway and we hung some old baseball caps on them. This was fine until we replaced our bed mattress and the old one was propped against the wall - under the baseball caps - until we could get rid of it.

Well, a certain little ginger kitten thought this mattress was his own personal playground and used to go mental on it. His favourite trick was knocking the baseball caps down. :rolleyes: He was a right little bundle of mischief.

But when he was about 2.5 - 3yrs, this fun all stopped and he became a serious wee man!!! He's now 14.5yrs old but he's been that age for over 11yrs. He's been a pampered puss all his life so there was no reason for him not playing except that he didn't want to.

I hope this makes you both feel a bit better and less sad. Maybe your kitties did have their fun but had 'grown up' by the time you got them :eek:

This picture is from one day when the baseball caps moved faster than Oscar could. :lol:

Thanks MB :) it does make me feel a bit better, I'd like to think that Frank had all his fun when he was a kitten/young boy and was just like your Oscar :) and now he just wants to laze around and chill.

Loving the photo of Oscar :D thanks for sharing your story :)

I often think and wonder what his life was like before he was in the rescue and we adopted him, it's something I know I shouldn't dwell on.

He's my special boy and I love him to bits, all that matters now that he is happy, loved and cared for and has a forever home :)

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i know what you mean - i often wonder what happened to arthur before he turned up on my doorstep. he's a proper scaredy cat and isn't too keen on people in general (apart from me! :eek:) it makes me so sad to think that anyone could have ever have turfed him out onto the streets, especially while he was still a baby!

all i do know, is that i'll do everything i possibly can to make sure that the rest of his life makes up for whatever horrible things might have happened in his early days! even when he's being a bloody pest while i'm trying to change the bed!! ;)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
happened to my dad tonight.

He came home from the quiz night early and found a cat had been sick on thier bed, so had to change it....taking it off was fine.

Opening the airing cupboard for new covers? He had our youngest and oldest cats trying to get in....then once he had shooed them out he went to work on the pillow cases, the sheet and then the duvet....he lifted it up, as you do and heard *thump* cos Jenson had climbed inside the duvet and when dad lifted one end, it toppled him out....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i get 'help' changing the beds- if it isnt to their spec i have to do it again!!!, my cleaning is 'inspected' especially the bath :rolleyes:

should i leave a binbag by the door cos its raining, they check i have recycled;)

they leave toys in strategic points eg just under coffee table, to be sure i hoover enough.:eek6:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We are always "aided" by 2 eager Burmese when changing the bed.

Darcy, who is 5 months old, also checks that the washing is dry by clambering up the airer. While she's up there, she knocks various items off, obviously saving me the job of taking them off myself!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.