Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

NEVER AGAIN off lead!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Deb, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

Cassie's recall has become worse over the last month or so and therefore i do not often let her of the lead. Have been practicing in the house and garden with extra long lead. Anyway hubby and i took her out for a walk yesterday eve intending to be out for about 1 hr. Felt a bit guilty as she had not been out much because we had thunder storms up north so i decided to let her off on the beach. BIG mistake. After she stole the other dogs balls (we had not taken hers as i wasnt going to the beach!!) it then took us 1 1/2 hrs to get her back. It was like we didnt exist-she totally ignored us and at times was a good few hundred feet or more away from us. Even when we walked away from her (she usually follows) she was not bothered. Other people on the beach, whose dogs she was playing with, tried to get her for us. When they left she just sat and looked as us for quite a distance away. Hubby was seething, i was close to tears.. Nothing enticed her. In the end, due to her being tired i think!!, i managed to rugby tackle her to get her lead on. I did not tell her off but could not bring myself to praise her. Could not even speak to her and we then had to walk home. All in all we were out for 3 hrs and did not get home until 10.30pm. Hubby was ready for getting rid of her (again:mad:) but this morning he has forgiven her but i don't feel i can ever trust her again., When we do training in the house/garden she is good but it all goes out of the window when she is allowed off the lead:(

2. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Could you not use the long lead when you are out?
    And teach recall.
    Not all dogs will do the same thing as they do at home.
    She needs to learn recall whilst she is out at the park etc, to realise this is when you want her to come back also. Some dogs can understand recall in once place for example, home and the garden, but not whilst out in the park, or the beach for that matter. So teaching recall in all different places, with the long lead should help.
    So instead of letting her off the lead whilst out, use the long lead, she may not be able to go as far as she wants to, but at least then you know you can get her back and will be able to let her off once she has learnt.

My dog is great at recall at home, but at the park, I have to use a long line at the moment to teach him again, otherwise he won't come back.

3. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

Yes have used long lead while out. In fact on her walk yesterday morning i used the long lead and she was good-coming back when called

4. yes she needs to truely learn the recall. A long line lead would be ideal for you to help her learn x

5. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

That's good then.
    You need to keep doing this and perservere with it and make sure you praise her when she comes back, obviously it won't be straight away but after time if you perservere she should come back and you will gain trust in her and when you do, you may feel that you are able to let her off again.
    Good luck :)

6. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

You have my sympathy, my 2 are great on a long lead and in the garden ( except when there is a cat about). And i know they know when they "should" come back.:(

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think it sounds like she knows the difference between being on a lead, no matter how long, unfortunately.

Do you do any one to one training with just her?

8. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

Yes i do but the weather up north is not as good as down south!!! and it is not the weather to stay in the garden for long. Will persevere this week-she is going into kennels next week as we are on hols so will start again in ernest when i come back

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I know all about that weather up North ;) I'm a Northerner too.

I take it when you said you hadn't taken her ball along, that she has her own retrieve toy? It is a good idea for a dog that has got a good play drive, to have something kept aside for training/play - that way it becomes even more significant to them when it appears.

10. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Is there a secure area near you that you could use? Maybe a tennis court in a park. I know some tennis courts have a no dogs sign on them but if you had a word with the parkie and promised to clean up any mess the dog made they may bend the rules a bit.

I use the works car park which is securely fenced and has a large secure gate it means my dogs run on tar mac rather than grass but at least they can get to run free and even if it takes 2 hrs to catch them I know they can not get out and onto a road.

11. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

My collie went through this stage so I know how you feel when your dog decides when and if they will come back. I went back to the long lead and everytime he came near to me I gave him a tit bit I didn't say anything to him just gave him the reward. A month later he is off the lead again and comes near me I reward. This worked for me. ( so far )

12. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

There are some tennis courts near me but they belong to a school so i am a bit unsure whether i can access thme or not. My garden is quite small as well.

13. Deb

Deb PetForums Senior

I am clicker training her at the moment-just in the house. I am practicing the 'come' and 'fetch' making sure she drops the toy on my knee before she is rewarded. Again its raining today so no garden work!!

14. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Good to hear you've started with clicker training, did you get some help or just go straight into it?

I agree with the others that you need to practice her recall, using the long line, outside when on walks. Dogs are situational learners, so you may have to establish a good recall in lots of different areas before you can feel confident. It could take weeks or even months, but the long term pay-off is huge :D

Don't forget to take the clicker and treats out with you on walks too, the clicker will re-inforce the recall and because it makes a consistent sound and isn't influenced by emotion (like our voices) she will start to associate the recall with good behaviour. You might want to introduce a whistle for recall too, to avoid any signs of stress/anger in your voice which might make her reluctant to come.

Until you start making concrete steps forward with a bomb proof recall, I would avoid letting her off lead altogether - chasing her around will become addictive and that kind of learned behaviour can be difficult to overcome.

Could you afford a couple of one-to-one sessions with a trainer who can point you in the right direction and restore your confidence?

15. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Dont give up on it, recall if very different when out there with distractions luckily ive never has to use a long lead but they are brilliant when recall doesnt come easy. I dont think a beach with other dogs, the wide open spaces are not a good idea until she has mastered it a bit more, take her where she is a lot more contained and build on that, always loads and loads of praise annd treats for coming back even from the shortest of distances.

16. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

What age is she?? I know all of my dogs have gone through this stage at about 9 months old and i had to put them back on a longline for a bit and up the reward!! We used hotdog sausages and pepperoni for a bit and also Matrix likes cheese so we started taking that with us.
    He is now off lead again and is nearly always reliable apart from saturday when we took him to the woods and he randomly decided to run off as we said 'up' to get him in the car!! So we are getting the sausages out again at the mo, he is now 2 and a half but i think he was 'showing off' to Logan!! ;):rolleyes:

We also have a squeaker from an old toy of his in our treat bag so if he doesn't return for our calls we squeak the squeaker like mad and run in the opposite direction and this never fails!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice