UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Sully is being neutered today and I've never been through this process before (except with family dogs but I was a kid).

My OH was asking me this morning "can anything go wrong?".

I can't even be at the vets because I'm too ill and don't want to be spreading my germs around.

Obviously a lot of you have been through this process, what should I expect?

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
With boys it's a very simple, routine procedure so I really wouldn't worry about it. Females have a more invasive procedure obviously having to go right inside etc, whereas boys are quick and easy. Recovery times are not too bad with males either. :)

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
There is always a very small risk with having a general anaesthetic. However, a neuter is a routine operation and I am sure Sully will be absolutely fine, albeit a tiny bit sore afterwards :001_smile:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I have had foster lads neutured while living with me and they have been fine, a little grogy on the day of op but totally fine next day. I worry whenever mine are at the vets the last time was when one was in ( and she was only having a sedative not even a GA ) I cleaned the house like a mad women waiting for them to phone, the house never looked so tidy as that day:D

I`m sure little Sully will be just fine.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had foster lads neutured while living with me and they have been fine, a little grogy on the day of op but totally fine next day. I worry whenever mine are at the vets the last time was when one was in ( and she was only having a sedative not even a GA ) I cleaned the house like a mad women waiting for them to phone, the house never looked so tidy as that day:D

I`m sure little Sully will be just fine.
I've been cleaning too! But after a spring clean just a few days ago I have nothing left! I could start wrapping Christmas presents early but that would deprive Sully of his 'run away with the wrapping paper game'.

G

·
I'm sure he will be fine, it's not as invasive for male dogs. Better to concentrate on planning some nice treat or long walk for him once he's back to himself rather than focus on what could go wrong.

It's great that you have gotten him neutered btw

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sure he will be fine, it's not as invasive for male dogs. Better to concentrate on planning some nice treat or long walk for him once he's back to himself rather than focus on what could go wrong.

It's great that you have gotten him neutered btw
He will be spoilt rotten when he gets home (in a healthy dog friendly way of course).

I already feel guilty for having to skip his supper last night, as soon as he realised it wasn't coming he got this evil glint in his eye and proceeded to grab anything in sight and run away with it!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hey guys, Sully is being neutered today and I've never been through this process before (except with family dogs but I was a kid).

My OH was asking me this morning "can anything go wrong?".

I can't even be at the vets because I'm too ill and don't want to be spreading my germs around.

Obviously a lot of you have been through this process, what should I expect?
Neutering is a routine operation, much smaller an op then a bitch spay, vets do thousands over a career, and a good vet will do a minimal incision and its a pretty quick process all in all, Im sure he will be fine.

Dont be surprised if he is still a little bit out of it tonight. He may eat OK or he may pick and some may not eat at all. They are usually quite thirsty but dont let him gulp down huge amounts in water all in one go, it can make them sick, little and often with the water is better.

Usually a easy digestible light diet is best first night, like chicken no skin and some rice or potato or white fish instead of the chicken (check for small bones)

Because of the anaesthetic and drugs bowels can be impaired for up to about 72 hours.

Some dogs leave the stitches and incision alone some are more persistent, a quick lick to clean it occasionally is fine, but you need to stop excessive licking and gnawing as they can remove stiches. You need to check several times a day for no missing sutures, pulled skin, excessive redness or swelling, or oozing or discharge from the suture line. If he is persistent then you may have to use a collar, these are usually better then the rigid huge elizabethan plasic jobs.
Comfy Collars for Cats and Dogs

ProCone - Soft Recovery Collar

ProCollars - inflatable protective collars for dogs and cats

Try to stop him jumping and running about madly, most vets say on lead walks only until the stiches are out which is around 12 days ish. But as its coming towards having them taken out, just make sure they are not pulling and getting sore, as some heal really quickly, Nanuqs were ready to come out in 10 days and were starting to get sore so I had to take her back sooner.

·
Registered
144 Posts
One of my dogs won't settle afer an anaesthetic and literally paces the floor all night. She won't lie down and looks at us as if she's never seen us before. She also poo's in the house which is something she normally would never do, in fact last time she pooed in the car on the way home which was a joy in itself:rolleyes:
Next morning she right as rain and I'm like a zombie from lack of sleep!

Anyway I hope all goes well for you and your lovely dog is ok.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Neutering is a routine operation, much smaller an op then a bitch spay, vets do thousands over a career, and a good vet will do a minimal incision and its a pretty quick process all in all, Im sure he will be fine.

Dont be surprised if he is still a little bit out of it tonight. He may eat OK or he may pick and some may not eat at all. They are usually quite thirsty but dont let him gulp down huge amounts in water all in one go, it can make them sick, little and often with the water is better.

Usually a easy digestible light diet is best first night, like chicken no skin and some rice or potato or white fish instead of the chicken (check for small bones)

Because of the anaesthetic and drugs bowels can be impaired for up to about 72 hours.

Some dogs leave the stitches and incision alone some are more persistent, a quick lick to clean it occasionally is fine, but you need to stop excessive licking and gnawing as they can remove stiches. You need to check several times a day for no missing sutures, pulled skin, excessive redness or swelling, or oozing or discharge from the suture line. If he is persistent then you may have to use a collar, these are usually better then the rigid huge elizabethan plasic jobs.
Comfy Collars for Cats and Dogs

ProCone - Soft Recovery Collar

ProCollars - inflatable protective collars for dogs and cats

Try to stop him jumping and running about madly, most vets say on lead walks only until the stiches are out which is around 12 days ish. But as its coming towards having them taken out, just make sure they are not pulling and getting sore, as some heal really quickly, Nanuqs were ready to come out in 10 days and were starting to get sore so I had to take her back sooner.
Thank you, that is all really helpful advice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of my dogs won't settle afer an anaesthetic and literally paces the floor all night. She won't lie down and looks at us as if she's never seen us before. She also poo's in the house which is something she normally would never do, in fact last time she pooed in the car on the way home which was a joy in itself:rolleyes:
Next morning she right as rain and I'm like a zombie from lack of sleep!

Anyway I hope all goes well for you and your lovely dog is ok.
Oh dear! That must of been a stinky journey! :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Do dogs have head coller on after the op? (boy dogs) I'm having my Boarder Terrier done probably end of July after my birthday and before his we can't have him still healing on any of our birthdays both will be special as I was in hospital for mine this year and it will be his 1st.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do dogs have head coller on after the op? (boy dogs) I'm having my Boarder Terrier done probably end of July after my birthday and before his we can't have him still healing on any of our birthdays both will be special as I was in hospital for mine this year and it will be his 1st.
Sully has a head collar on and has to keep it on for ten days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.