Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 28, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave is 6 months and a bit now, and starting to get a little 'hump happy' :eek:

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to get him neutered before his humping becomes a problem?
    I am wanting to get back into fostering, so it would mean I would be able to take in greyhounds straight off the track easier, as they will not place an entire female with an entire male.

He is healthy, and fit. I will have to save up a bit of money first because it is £74 at my vet.

I've never had a male neutered while in my care before, but I take it it's less 'evasive' than getting females spayed? Lol

What special care do you need to take afterwards??

x

2. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

My vet doesn't recommend getting them neutered until 18 months at least but some vets are recommending getting them neutered as young as 8 weeks! it's seems to be the cool thing right now so go ahead. They have to be on crate rest for a couple of days and then on lead walks only for a couple of weeks but he'll be fine very quickly.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My vet said he wouldn't consider it before 6 months, my dad's dally was done at 8 months as he was becoming a bit of a problem. I would never consider doing it before 6 months.

I have heard that if a dog learns to be hump happy before neutering, it is harder to stop?

x

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I never really had a problem with my dogs they stopped after we got them neutered at 18 months. Just teach him a firm no command and it should help.

5. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Only other problem is the two people we would normanly have look after our dogs also have entire females which could make things difficult if we needed them looked after.

Walking him is also becoming a bit of a problem as he has to sniff and mark everything!
    I can be walking down the street with him and suddenly he stops and I nearly fall over! Lol

My OH's mums neighbour has a springer and Dave just follows her about. He is getting a bit too interested in girls! :ek:

x

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

If he is getting so interested in girls then get him neutered in case there is an accident.

7. Superpettoysrus.com

Superpettoysrus.com PetForums Senior

Hi, have you tryed easy vets to get him neutered???....its much cheaper as they are just a spaying and neutering vets???

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

What is easy vets?

Yeah, I defo don't want any accidents!
    I never let him off lead where there are other dogs because there are alot of stupid people in town who think it is ok to take their bitches in heat into town and let them off lead!

We usually only walk out by us, and we rarely meet a person but if we do we turn back to get the dogs attention then put them on the lead.

I managed to convince my OH to get Dixie spayed when we had the money as she was between seasons and I did not want any accidents!

Saying that I have owned a fair few entire females and males and never had an accident myself, but after raising a litter of 9 to a dog I didn't own was enough to put me off puppies for a good few years! Lol

x

9. Superpettoysrus.com

Superpettoysrus.com PetForums Senior

i dont know if easy vets is widespread but they have it in the north east....its not a regular vets it just for neutering and vaccines i think....but looking online just now i think it may just be a north east thing...boooooooo...im taking my girl in tomorrow for her spay and microchip poor little mite doesnt know whats coming :(

10. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

We had Bailey done at the same age Dave is now.

We took him in about 8 in the morning and they told us to call about 12 which I did. I was all frantic, worried about my boy, they said he was fine and very excited, I was like "That's nothing new!" and I knew for sure he was okay. We picked him up at 3:30 and I swear you wouldn't have known he'd just had an op, it was unreal!

He was bouncing around, did a few wee whine's later on, but was his usual self, not extra sleepy, nothing. The hardest part was that he had a silly collar on for 10 days that drove him nuts and banged in to everything and everyone as he went by, and that he could only get lead walks until his stitches came out 10 days later.

I'm sure Dave will be fine, I'd definitely do it as soon as you can. :)

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

My vet uses dissolvable sutures in op's so I think he will only need a collar if he botheres it, same as Dixe. She had a collar one for one day after she was spayed. Lol

x

12. HighlandQuine

HighlandQuine PetForums Senior

That's even better, I wish ours had done that, it would have saved me from 10 days of a demented pup that kept ramming my shins! LOL!

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

The worst part of getting Sammy neutered was his whining! He is a bit of a baby anyway, but the night of the OP my o/h slept with him downstairs - big wuss!

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice