Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by lollo2304, Oct 15, 2013.

1. lollo2304

lollo2304 PetForums Junior

Hi, my first queen now has her third and final litter. They are now 8 weeks old and she has been calling now for a week! I was wondering when is the best time to to neuter her. Kittens are being neutered at 12 weeks and will leave her at 14 weeks.

Thank you x

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Anytime from now onwards - she will still produce milk if they are still feeding.

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Assuming she's still feeding the kittens I think I would be inclined to delay having her spayed until the same time as the kittens are spayed/neutered. That said, plenty of queens are spayed whilst the kittens are still with them and those that have undergone a c-section happily feed kittens without any problems in relation to kittens scrabbling at/around the operation site/sutures. Will she be spayed mid-line or flank? If she has a fair size litter and you think, from previous experience, that they'll be regularly piling in for feeding until the day they leave, then I would personally play it safe and delay spaying her for now.

4. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I've spayed my retirees at 10-12 weeks, they went in with the kittens.
    The girls come home and go right back to nursing without issue.

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Depends in my view how much the kittens are still feeding. If they feed a lot and she has milk I'd delay a bit, but if it's mostly comfort feeding and she doesn't have much milk then anytime as soon as she has finished calling. Of course your vet might disagree!

6. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Now this is an interesting one because I know that some vets will not spay until the milk has completely dried up, I'm not sure for their reasoning on this :confused: Also vets don't like to spay queens too soon after a call, allegedly due to the increased blood flow to the uterus at this time.

Whether these are 'old wives tales' that some vets cling to I don't know, but you own vet will be able to advise you on when he will be willing to spay.

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Seems to just depend on the vet, mine has no problem spaying girls full of milk, I have good mums who remain quite full for over 12 weeks.

8. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

It would be best to wait until her season has passed, it's a little bit more risky to spay while they're in season.

9. lollo2304

lollo2304 PetForums Junior

Thank you for the replies. I wasn't planning to neuter whilst she was calling, just curious if their was an optimum time from the kittens perspective.

Looks like they'd be fine from now on so I may try and get her in as soon as she has stopped.

Thanks again I appreciate the support.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice