Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by dukey101, Nov 22, 2012.

1. dukey101

dukey101 PetForums Junior

I am thinking of having my 6/7 month old puppy neutered but I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages

I want the best for my puppy. The reason why I am thinking of this is because he is starting to hump my 5 year old dog. :eek:

Thanks for any advise

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

There is absolutely no guarantee that having him neutered will stop him humping your older dog. It's more than likely a learnt behaviour and a habit or play, rather than anything remotely sexual.

I've never neutered any dog through choice - only ones of mine that have ever been done are rescues who either came to me neutered, or on a neuter contract - I firmly believe it's FAR healthier for a male dog to remain entire - the benefits of NOT neutering by far outweigh those of neutering, IMO.

In all the years I have kept entire male dogs (often multiple ones at a time) - not once has one of them ever got near an inseason bitch, nor have I ever lost a dog to a cancer/illness that could have been prevent by neutering, or had any issues with straying, indoor scent marking, aggression or humping that haven't been easily rectified - hence, my boys keep their plums unless the vet says they're to go!

#3 SixStar, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  3. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

Firstly dogs dont just hump because of testosterone etc and for sexual reasons, some do it just because they can, some do it for play, some do it to "dominate".

Neutering IMO is good if you are not planning on breeding, i think neutering outways the positives of not neutering. Of course neutering can have a negative impact, depends on the dog and alot of other factors, but can also have a postive impact and with some dogs doesnt change a thing! So its up to you, everyone has a different opinion so i would do what you feel is right for your pup.

But neutering wont automatically fix the issue, it needs training aswell.

4. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

On the flip side to above i'm with sixstar, to me there are so many more benefits in keeping a dog entire then neutering.

Plus i don't believe in unnecessary surgery. I do not and will not neuter my dogs UNLESS medically they need it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice