UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put this in general chat as it is aimed at all animals that should be neutered.
Am i the only one that think in the present climate, that vets could or should do more to make neutering more affordable for all?
We hear of all these charities telling us to get out pets neutered, and how there are so many unwanted animals about because people don't/won't neuter their pets.But as times are hard i believe our vets and these charities should be helping more.
Your thoughts.:D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I would agree with making neutering more accessible to all. I know sometimes there are voucher schemes but they don't exactly publicise them.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Neutering can be a controversial subject in itself.

However to answer your main question.. When you take on the responsibility for an animal that includes costs. Why should you expect charities to take up the slack when they should be focusing on those really in need of their assistance? Or should this assistance be cut for those who need it the most?

·
Registered
31,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am NOT saying that people should expect something for nothing.I am saying the likes of charities and vets could do more to help the sittuation.:rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,695 Posts
But neutering is a personal choice for
Health reason, that;s debatable
To prevent litters, control your animals
It's hardly a priority in my opinion and if your choice is to neuter the cost should be considered before you get the animal

·
Registered
74 Posts
One of the first casualties during times of recession is charities. I imagine animal charities especially. Their first priority has to be the animals in their care. For sick animals, and owners who are on low incomes, there are charities like the PDSA. Not sure if they'd pay for neutering though, unless it was because of health issues.

I'm sure there a lots of vets who will come to some "arrangement" for owners who struggle financially, when their animals are sick (let's face it, anyone's cirumstances can change), but they are running a business, it's their livelihood.

·
Registered
452 Posts
No offence, is she on benefits, because if not, I would defo look into that one
It was an offer for people with a low income so I assume its anyone who is either in receipt of benefits, only work part time, students etc but I'm not entirely sure, might be worth calling your local [email protected] to ask for more details

They didnt ask her for any proof of income so I'm not sure how they assess it

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
if you can't afford the basic things like neutering and vaccinations then you shouldn't be buying that cute little kitten/puppy in my opinion. in the grand scheme of things, the animal will cost you far more than that little operation.
i'd far rather the likes of the rpsca spent their funds on helping animals in need, rather than picking up the shortfall for owners who haven't thought about the basic care their pet will need.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
currently our local easipet care are offering reduced neutering/spaying for Staffies £40 for boys and £75 for girls.

and i know of several charities that give you a discount voucher when you adopt and always have done.

but to be honest its not really the responsibilty of the vets/charities to offer cheap deals - its part of being a responsible owner to know that is part of the expense when buying a pet in the first place!

As lets face it that cost is pitance compared to if they have an accident and need an operation - even a small one!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
There are some charities that both promote welfare and will do low cost neutering spaying and vaccinations and have low cost veterinary care clinics too
for customers on benefits and low incomes.
Celia Hammond trust is one

To provide low cost neuter/vaccination clinics for animals belonging to people on benefit or those unable to afford private veterinary fees.

To provide low cost treatment in our clinics for sick/injured animals whose owners do not qualify for help from the major charities but who cannot afford private veterinary fees
Celia Hammond Animal Trust UK Rescue Shelters

Blue cross also has veterinary clincs and mobile clinics for owners on benefits and low incomes and will help with low cost neutering and veterinary care too

Blue Cross - Veterinary services

RSPCA also have low cost neutering and veterinary care clinics
Veterinary care - What we do - RSPCA in action

Dogs Trust does too
Dogs Trust - Help with Veterinary Bills

There is also various vets around the country that offer low cost neutering if you are on benefits and low incomes or not. So they are out there to be found with some checking.

Just thought I would add details just in case someone who wants to neuter or needs low cost veterinary care out there, comes across the thread and didnt know there are places and they can get help.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Pesonally I think most people could stretch to the cost if they really tried and prioritised.
I live on £86 a week but have managed to put back the £229 necessary to get Diz spayed early next year. I budget, think ahead and live within my means.

Neutering is optional and doesn't need doing immediately after pup comes home, you have time to save for it.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Why on earth should a vet offer discounts to you to neuter your pet?:confused: We opted to have a pet, it's up to us to ensure we can afford to look after it properly and if that means neutering it, then we should have made allowances for this procedure before getting the animal in the first place.

It's a privilege to have animals, not a right.

Nope, I don't think vets should offer discounts for neutering. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,846 Posts
It was an offer for people with a low income so I assume its anyone who is either in receipt of benefits, only work part time, students etc but I'm not entirely sure, might be worth calling your local [email protected] to ask for more details

They didnt ask her for any proof of income so I'm not sure how they assess it
Oooh I'm a student and work part time! I shall investigate!

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
Hmmm Charities should do more.

Let us examine this premise.

If they should do more, why should owners not?

In these straitened times everyone has to select what they are going to do without and where the money is best spent.

So, if the charity donates money for neutering there is less for rescuing and other essential care.

Vets have to make a living, can you IMAGINE the outrage if they had sliding scales of fees for different patients and the potential for fraud!

There are charities that subsidise neutering and of course the adoption fee goes towards this.

If you cannot afford something, you go without. Simples.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.