Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering will it stop marking in the house?!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by spaniel07, Nov 14, 2012.

1. spaniel07

spaniel07 PetForums Junior

I have book my sprocker 3yr old in on Wednesday to be neutered as he marks in the house.

Its not always but we go through stages of him doing it, I do tell him off if I catch him.

So will neutering stop this??

Thanks

2. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

Impossible to say with accuracy, possibly, but if it's a habit then no, sorry

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Probably not, it'll be a learnt behaviour by now.

4. Netpon

Netpon PetForums Member

Hopefully, yes. A friend of mine had a JRT that marked in the house and she didn't get him castrated until he was about 5 and the marking stopped almost straight away. BUT it isn't guaranteed with a dog that has been doing it for a while

5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

Possibly. Or possibly not. Dogs are creatures of habit. They will return to the same place to mark. I find that putting a bowl of water down where they mark stops it - or blocking the place off with furniture.

6. GermanShepardOwner

GermanShepardOwner PetForums Senior

In my experience it does stop alot of dogs marking, but it depends on how long its been going on and the induvidual dog. They are all different and they can do it for different reasons.

With the neutering and training so discouraging him then it should make a difference.

7. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

chester used to mark in the house...his best trick was to cock his leg up and p*** on my freshly washed ironed clothes :incazzato: after he had the implant he did stop, and now the implant has worn off he has not started to mark again, so if marking is the only reason you are neutering have a think about the implant..

8. kellyamina

kellyamina PetForums Junior

My cocker used to mark in the house...in the most inconvenient places he could find...beds, sofas etc etc...
    He was neutered....didnt make any difference :thumbdown:

9. essex spaniels

essex spaniels PetForums Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice