Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering Why ???

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Aug 1, 2009.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Why is neutering an answer to all problems,I have seen so many posts recently on the forums recommending neutering rather than dealing with the cause of the problem. Why ?

2. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

Hi Sally

I am with you, Max is coming up to 6 and he has never been done, when he was a tearaway teenager, I took him off to obdience classes and he ended up doing brill and entering comps, he basically was bored and acting up - he needed more of a challenge. He's been a complete angel ever since, sometimes it just needs a little effort :D

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

One of the first questions some people ask is is he neutered,is she spayed ?

I have a spayed bitch here and she is no different to what she was when entire.

Another one which annoys me is,it will calm them down,I firmly believe that is down to training and age.

My boy is 3 and entire,we have had no issues even when my bitch was in season.

4. Molly's Mum

yea I totally agree, I've never had any problems with Max when Molly has been in season, don't get me wrong I've had to put in the time & effort and Max knows through hard work & training what is acceptable behaviour. As he is such a big lad I would never allow him to "hump somebody's leg" etc.

People look for easy options!!

5. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

do you think perhaps people are worried about pyometra perhaps in the female?

6. Molly's Mum

that's a good valid point, I was just referring to Max although of course I do have Molly and she will be spayed next year, once she has had the time to fully get over this litter ;)

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Yes but if were talking behaviour problems there is always people saying get them spayed or neutered that will work..just for an easy way out! :eek:ut:

8. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

I do like bitches to be spayed just in case they get pyometra, that would scare me, if it wasn't for the fact that Arran had cryptorchidism then he wouldn't have been neutered, I feel that it's made him even more fearful than he already was.

Terri.

9. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

So far 3 of mine are done, and the other 2 will be done when they are old enough and fully mature. I have had them or having them done to make sure their are no accidental matings. I know it is possible to keep them separate but with 2 young and a nearly teenage children it was really hard work and I couldn't settle unless I had checked there was no doors or gates left open. Also the number of entire dogs that are allowed to just wonder as they want round here is high I didn't want lots of dogs round my house :)

I do think it is used as a quick fix answer to behavioural problems when sometimes there are other options.

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I had Dixie spayed a few months ago, because I do not want to breed from her and do not want any accidents or hassle. A few of our friends have entire males and it could be inconvenient if she was in heat.

Dave is nearly 7 months he will be getting neutered soon as he his humping things is starting to get a bit of a problem.

I have owned both entire males and females and I agree most things it is not the 'cure' to get them done, but to train them.

x

11. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I do think it changes their behavior in some cases but isnt an alternative to training my first one was done at 9 months a little young i think with eyeinsight i thought it made him a little nervous so we didnt have our 2nd one done and having been through what he went through due to being intact i would never have another male and not neuter him.

12. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I do think Pyo is always a concern in an entire bitch,however as long as you keep a close eye on them post season and know the symptoms and consult your vet if you are not comfortable.

We had planned to have two or three litters (depending on what was in the litter)from our bitch then have her spayed,sadly Pyo struck her at 22 months.

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Entire males can display the following behaviours:

* Scent marking
    * Dominant behaviour, because they are intact
    * Humping, because they are acting on instinct
    * 1/10 cases treated by vets are because of inter male aggression. In most cases this can be treated by neutering.**

Not every dog will display these behaviours, and you may never have a problem. But for something so simple, why not deal with the first most obvious cause.

In my opinion, it is unfair to expect a dog not to do a behaviour when it is acting on instinct. i.e when it humps, it does so out of frustration. You can try to train it out of him, and you may even succeed, but surely all the time he has these urges, it is unfair not to expect him to do it.

Millions of dogs get neutered every year, with few problems. So my advice is always to do this first. Stop them acting on instinct and hormones and then you can work on the training issue.

Just as a foot note. ..... Sammy has great social skills and loves other dogs. The only time I have had any problem is on 2 occasions where him and another dog, have squared up to each other. On both occasions I said to the owners "Is your dog neutered?". Both times I have been told "no". I don't know whether it was the other dog trying to dominate Sammy, or Sammy reacting to the other dog because it was entire. Either way, I am convinced it was because the other dog was not neutered. Also both times these dogs were not on a lead. What if there had been an irresponsible dog owner whose bitch was in season? Quite possibly the result could be an un-wanted litter.

** Source of this information is Bruce Fogle D.VM M.R.C.V.S. He is a practicing vet and lectures internationally at veterinary colleges on animal behaviour. He has written several books, The Dogs Mind being the one I have taken this information from.

14. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Aww that is really sad:(

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

When my mother got our doberman/gsd she was CRAZY. She came from a small flat where she was allowed to wander the streets of Cardiff. We neutered her as we had an elderly male dog who hadn't been neutered and were planning to train her (she'd just turned two). However neutering her seemed to work absolute wonders and she calmed down so much. Of course we had a long way to go with training but she no longer felt the need to rip our settee apart (that was a fun day).

:yesnod:

16. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I think it's too often touted as a cure to behavioural issues, where in reality the behaviour has been allowed, and the dog hasn't been trained to behave appropriately, sometimes through lack of understanding and then people are told or advised that spaying/neutering is the cure to their problems.

Although my older bitch has been spayed, she's still a flirty gerty, she hasn't changed in character one bit from being entire. She still scent marks over the top of other bitches/dogs' pee when out on walks (she even half cocks her leg), she does think she's the most important Labrador in the whole of the world, and she is quite possibly right ;)

I don't think neutering necessarily stops any problems, although I'd always advise anyone if they weren't particularly competent at handling behavioural problems, or even owning an entire dog, to have them done, it's one less thing to worry about. Mind you, I've only ever owned bitches so far, so will possibly have that theory put to the test next year!

goodvic2, I get what you're saying, but going back to Indie, she will, given the chance, hump other dogs as a dominance issue; I don't let her, but it is there in her 'nature', despite the fact she's a bitch, and spayed, and also that she's always been discouraged from humping anything.

17. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

We were totally gutted,so were alot of our friends in the breed as she is a very well bred bitch.

Obviously it wasn't mean't to be,it was a scarey time for us but in typical terrier fashion she bounced back and recovered very well.

Goodvic,
    In my experience all dogs hump Tyler did,it's part of a dog growing up.
    I think to many people jump into the neutering camp without first trying to resolve the issue at hand.
    Neutering will not work whereby the behaviour is a learn't one.
    I do understand neutering for a medical condition,but not for calming a dog down or behaviour issue's.
    Neutered dogs will also mate with a bitch,they will follow an inseason bitches scent,just because they no longer have all there tackle doesn't stop those natural urges,they still have a nose and brain.Infact I know of Neutered dogs that have mated bitches.

18. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Lilly does the same thing with my two male dogs, however it is not a problem. I agree that dominance plays a part in some of these issues as does training. But if neutering your dog is LIKELY to help, why not do it? Of course if you have really strong opinions on it, then don't. But the average person neuters their dog anyway.

From experience I have found that neutering certainly can help with scent marking in the house, and humping. But at least once you have neutered, you can then move on to training x

19. louise5031

louise5031 Guest

As first time dog-owners we were inclined to take the vet's advice and this is why we got Zach our mongrel dog neutered. The pros of neutering given to us by our vet that persuaded us included eliminating the risk of testicular cancer and reducing the risk of an enlarged prostate which is a very painful condition which can go unnoticed in the first instance. He did also include the reduced risk of marking in the house and some dominance issues, however those weren't really an issue for us as we were going to dedicate a lot of time to training.

My OH also felt it was unfair to keep him intact and always have the urge to mate but never actually be able to do the deed! Suppose that is a bit of male empathy there! He did stop humping, but I know intact dogs that still hump, as it is a learned behaviour. He definately still went through the stroppy phase, which could be seen as 'dominance' if you wish to see it like that, balls or no I think that is part of growing up and the only answer is to spend a lot of time on training your dog.

20. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I used to think like you, but no more. With male dogs, I see so many people who are unable to exercise control and the extra male hormones makes this worse. With bitches, so many don't seem to realise the responsiblity they have when their bitch is in season, and now I would recommend neutering a pet, although not until fully mature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice