Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering Female Rabbits - advice needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Mojo Jojo, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have 2 female rabbits, both the same age (8 months old) but from 2 different litters.
    They are well bonded and have lived happily together since being separated from their mums.
    I am considering getting them both neutered due to risks associated with uterine cancers etc etc but i have a few hang ups.

Will they need to be separated whilst recovering from the procedure?
    If so, they will need to re-bond, which I foresee as a difficult task as they live in a large hutch outdoors, and other family members aren't keen on having them living inside for any period of time

Has anyone experienced anything similar before? If so, what did you do?
    Any advice on how to re-bond outdoor rabbits?

Thanks in advance

2. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

First off, yes DO spay them, I spayed female rabbits only think of babies and sex, they are like little bags of broodyness. Unspayed female rabbits will make nests, pull out their fur and fight for males even if there are none in the area.
    Female buns do have to be separated during recovery however you don’t have to put them in different enclosures find a bit of chicken wire or Perspex sheet and create a wall splitting the enclose in half.

When my buns got spayed I had to separate them, the male bun (Bumble, who had been neutered a few months before) couldn’t bare being separated from his little sister and kept jumping over the wall that separated them. Eventually I had to put them in desperate cages with a roof on liver the top and I placed the enclosures next to each other. They then spent the next few days side by side with only a bit of wire separating them. Their bond and live was so strong they couldn’t bare to be apart.

So yes DO spay and separate your buns, but allow them see each other and stay close

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Separating is a tricky one, I would make sure they're together as much as possible BUT the risk you have is if they pull their stitches. Make sure they both go in together and are done the same day ideally. You can try and keep them together but if they get a bit too curious and groomy with one another you may need to put a fence between them while they heal up for the first week or so. It's basically that initial healing you need to get through :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice