Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutering age

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LotsaDots, Jan 7, 2021.

1. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

I know there have been a few threads about this over the years but I'm just looking for some current advice/experience.
    Billy is 6 months old next week (JRT)
    I was going to leave him maybe until 18 months or so before I get him castrated but we have been asked a few times if I plan to use him as a stud (I don't!) and now my husband is worried he is more desirable to thieves intact.
    I don't leave him unattended but he is off the lead in open spaces. He's probably being paranoid but it did get me thinking.
    He's also only got 1 testicle at the moment (Billy not the husband!) so not sure if that means I should get him done sooner or leave it and wait for the other one to drop.

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Ideally speak to your vet - undescended testicles can cause issues, it should've descended by now if he is 6 months old. A vet will give him a check over and see if they can feel where the undescended testicle is, the only treatment is to neuter.

Plus being a small breed you don't really have to wait until 18 months old - it's more of an issue for larger breeds :)

lullabydream likes this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Loki had an undescended testicle we waited until 18 months because he was a large breed but you can probably go ahead earlier. It can be a cancer risk if left.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. LotsaDots

Thanks my mum was a veterinary nurse and when she checked a couple of weeks back she couldn't feel the 2nd one. I don't really know why I was waiting to be honest just different things I've heard and read I guess. He doesn't have any behavioural issues beyond the normal teenage bratty stuff!

5. LotsaDots

Thanks we will definitely get him done, it's just a question of when. My mum has 2 intact bitches so it's not even an option to leave him (he spends a lot of time there under normal circumstances)
    The vet advised at his vaccination it would probably drop by 6 months so I'm still hopeful!

lullabydream likes this.
  6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Bless Loki’s never appeared !

LotsaDots and lullabydream like this.
  7. LotsaDots

Thinking about it, as we are in lockdown I don't know if vets are even performing routine procedures?

8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Mine are you just can’t go in with them.

LotsaDots likes this.
  9. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I would say that an undescended testicle is more important than a routine neutering. But vets are still going ahead with everything, it's just it now has to be done with all the lockdown procedures in place.

10. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Depends where you live I think. I'm in Wales and our vets sent out a message that said "Due to this evenings Governments lockdown regulation announcement We are sorry to say that non essential appointments will be postponed , this includes any nuetering procedures that may have been booked in."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice