Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutered stud

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Elmstar, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

Hi all,

Does anyone have a link that discusses how a neutered stud can still be fertile?

I've heard rumours but can't actually find anything that describes how this is possible after removal of the testes.

2. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

yes my stud boy had been nuetered and even 5 weeks after he was able to get one of my retired girls pregnant !!!

The vets say it takes upto 6 weeks as they can have a build up in the tubes or something hence when removing the balls they can still be fertile :)

3. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

See our vet said Shinzon should be OK after a week and he's been rampant since! :eek: He's had a lot more sex than our stud boys.

I just don't see how he can still be fertile? Surely the tubes are washed out regularly?

4. staceyscats1

staceyscats1 PetForums Senior

mmmm not sure about that :) all i can say is i removed by boy from everyone for like 3-4 weeks then as soon as i put him back wham i had fur babies i was shocked as i didnt know until i had took the girl in for spaying then thats when he told me lol

maybe get your vet to explain the details as am not sure science behind it all :)

To be safe i would keep him away for the 6 weeks save having any accidents !

5. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

It takes a while for their hormones to die down, up to 6 weeks as has already been said, hence his willingness to continue his studly ways. They are still a potential problem in that time too I think your vet is wrong with his week assessment. I would prepare for a potential litter or two if he has been mating your girls.

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Nearly all castrated animals can remain fertile for up to 2 months after the op.

Active sperm will still be in their system.

7. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

IF.....he's been at it like a randy rabbit!

I still haven't seen any documented evidence on this, does anyone have a link?

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Sounds like you have your own experiment running, you could write you own article ;)

9. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

LOL, he's such a randy git :D

Hopefully I'll be writing about how he was infertile! We never even knew that Rosie was in season!

10. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

its the same as when a man is "fixed" he can still get you pregnant the first few times

The tests make the sperm but it sits in the tubes and an area before it is used. i believe they need to cum a good 6 times at least to remove the sperm and start shooting blanks

11. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

But a man isn't castrated? :D

I think Shinzon did the required number with one of our girls so, hopefully, the others should be safe.

12. lauren001

lauren001 PetForums VIP

No, but the effect is more or less the same, the sperm is stopped from going to the penis from the testicles in vasectomy and castration. Any sperm in the tubes already made will need clearing out, before he could be classed as infertile.

After Vasectomy, Sperm Clearance May Occur Later Than Previously Thought

It will be interesting to see if she does become pregnant though as by the sounds of things it is not from want of trying on his part.

13. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

LOL, and she was on Ovarid which didn't seem to put a dent in her calling!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice