Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutered Pomeranian Won’t Walk

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MMR, Apr 17, 2021.

1. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

Hi! I’m posting for some reassurance or advise please. My 11 month old Pomeranian has undergone neutering 3 days ago. Vet said he should be back to his normal self after a couple of days, but he’s not. I know not all dogs are the same but I’m just a little worried. He refuses to walk or go on floor. He just shuffles from one end of the sofa to the other end. He also refuses to go out and would rather wee wherever he’s laying and would only go down on the floor to poo. He eats and drinks normal.
    He’s been seen by the vet again the day after because I was worried about the swelling. Vet said he’s fine and the swelling was normal (which has come down a bit)
    Does anyone else has a dog who was like mine? How can I encourage him to walk and go back to normal?
    I also notice that he pants though he’s not really been anywhere or done anything. I’m worried that this is a sign of something??? He also tries to wiggle out of our hands when we pick him up. Could he still be in pain? Please advise. Thanks. x

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Panting can be a sign of pain or anxiety.
    How is he getting up on to the sofa?
    Are you making him jump down or do you put him down. Once he is down, what does he do?

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I would take him back to the vets, has he had a post-op check? He does sound uncomfortable, were you given any pain killers for him? Is he eating and drinking OK?
    I would also avoid picking him up, he's obviously not happy with it and there's always the chance he could wriggle out of your arms and injure himself.
    You could ring the out-of-hours vet for advice, they may well suggest you take him in to be checked over. I would want his temperature checking. And as O2.0 says, don't let him on the sofa specially getting up and down himself. Has he got a bed on the floor? Or a pillow?

4. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

We pick him up cause otherwise he would jump up on to the sofa. When we see that he’s attempting to come down, we pick him up again. He cries every time we do this. Once he’s down, he would lay down on the floor or try to jump back up.

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I certainly would let your Vet see him to be sure nothing is amiss.

You are correct that dogs behave differently.

My terriers were neutered and very keen to go a walk the day after - pretty much back to normal.

My Sister, however, had her Cavalier male castrated and he lay round like an accident victim for days, refusing to walk.

Have you taken him out for a walk?

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

If he's jumping up on the sofa he can't be that poorly!
    If he's eating and drinking fine, how does he get to his food bowl?
    Will he move if you encourage him with a tidbit?

7. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

His post op is on Monday, but we’ve been back the day after his surgery because of the swelling and our vet said he’s fine, no temperature etc. This was on Thursday. He has Rheumocam for his pain, just half a tablet a day. He is eating and drinking as normal. He has a bed on the floor but he doesn’t want it and he has a crate with mattress where he sleeps at night. He seems ok there but he comes out of it in the morning to move to the sofa.

8. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

We bring his food and water to him . Maybe that’s a bad idea? But I feel like if we don’t do this, he will not eat at all. I’ve tried to entice him to walk by leaving trail of treats but he just ignored it.

9. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

Not yet tried that cause he barely makes any attempt to walk at all.

10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

LOL yeah...
    If he's on pain meds, vet checked & no issues, and able to jump up on to the sofa but needs you to bring him his food and water, I'd say he's playing it up a bit ;)

Rafa and SusieRainbow like this.
  11. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I would stop him jumping on the sofa - put something against it to stop him doing it (I used puppy pen panels when my boy was injured), or flip the sofa around against the wall for a few days. Then you don't have the problem of having to pick him up.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

This is what I’m scared off. He’s being coddled too much and he’s liking all the attention. But could he be in pain too? Just now he growled aggressively when I picked him up to put him in his crate, and he’s never growled at anyone before.

13. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

This is brilliant. I will do this tomorrow.

14. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I would stop picking him up.

15. MMR

MMR PetForums Newbie

I know. I had no choice cause he was on the sofa. Tomorrow he won’t be as I’m going to do McKenzie’s advise.
    To add as well, I noticed that he won’t stand fully on his hind legs and seems to be dragging them when he moves... not sure why he does this.
    And thanks to everyone who has replied to far! x

16. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I would put him on the lead and take him outside at regular intervals. There is either something very wrong or he is a wimp and the only way to find out is to make him man up and then decide tomorrow if he needs the vet. Some dogs are very good at playing the wounded soldier if you give in to them.

CheddarS and Rafa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice