Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutered dog but marking, rolling and humping!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melton&Mabel, May 8, 2017.

1. Melton&Mabel

Melton&Mabel PetForums Newbie

Hi, my 1.5 yr old Bullmastiff is being a bit of a nuisance at the moment.
    For the past week he has been excessively marking, rolling and humping other dogs when out and about. He is usually brilliant with other dogs and is usually the naïve one to other dominating dogs. Luckily all of the dog owners and their dogs know Melton from when he was a tiny pup and know that he is just an excitable idiot.
    I tend to get him back on the lead until he has calmed down enough to go and play again. It does work but its every time we go out. Its almost like he is on his man period.. but how long will this last??
    Has anyone been through a similar stage with their dog?
    p.s. its seams odd but this has been brewing since we have got our female Jug puppy (he is completely submissive with her), could this be why?

Attached Files:

2. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Yes he is of 'that' age unfortunately.....

Yes you are handling it the right way by removing him from the situation, ideally you don't want him to be practising the behaviours at all. I don't know what you mean by rolling other dogs, as in bowling them over? humping obviously speaks for itself. Lot's of dogs can get a kick out of being thuggish and pushing their weight around, and this does tend to rear it's head at sexual maturity. Thuggish behaviour is quite reinforcing and makes them feel good which isn't great obviously, especially when you come across dogs you don't know, who's owners may also be alarmed given his size and breed.....perhaps you just need to be a bit more selective in dogs he is allowed to interact with? personally I don't allow my dogs to interact with dogs I don't know, keeps them safe and out of trouble :)

3. leashedForLife

if by "rolling" U refer to rolling on or in various stinky scents [manure, fox scats, dead pigeon...], that's not cured by desex - both M & F dogs will roll on stuff we find gross, & they find irresistible. :rolleyes:
    Neutered Ms & Fs continue to roll on reeking disgusting stuff just as intact dogs do, & anytime it's on offer, they'll be dropping their shoulders into a plotch of maggoty roadkill.
    Bleccchh, but that's a dog 'thing'. :( Keeping the dog on a long-line to be able to tug sideways on a front-clipped body harness, is the only way i know of to minimize the stinky after-effects, or - if U are very, very lucky & quick to react! --- prevent the rolling altogether, & not have an eye-watering stinking k9 for the trip home.
    How old is the JRT x Pug? // Has she been spayed? --- A silent heat could stir up a lot of undirected sexual arousal.

Does he also mount the recent arrival, at home? --- Or he mounts only non-household dogs, when he's off his home turf?

4. Melton&Mabel

Thanks so much for your help.
    Sorry not rolling over other dogs, just scent marking on the ground.
    Yes I'm the same around strange dogs, Melton has a look about him which other dogs don't like, unless they know him. Luckily the area I'm in has a small park for the dogs to have a play, so all of the dogs and owners know each other and the dogs are generally great together. As long as I know it is a stage and what I'm doing will help over time that is great. Yes his breed and size is quite alarming to new people I meet, im always quite wary of how people will react to him so I prefer to be safe and stick him on the lead in new environments.
    Thank you for your help.
    Daisy

5. Melton&Mabel

He is more scent marking on the ground when rolling, he is surprisingly a very clean dog and will not touch or go near messes from any animal (so far anyway )
    Mabel the Jug is 4 months old and Melton is brilliant with her. He is so submissive, gives up his food for her and any toys. They snuggle together a lot and are inseparable. He's on his back a lot of the time, letting her pin him and he waits for her when they chase eachother. I've attached a photo.
    It's only other dogs he has been humping when we are in the park. I've been taking him for runs to try and get rid of some of his energy but its becoming difficult to take him for a run, then pop home to pick up Mabel and then take them both to the park. Hopefully it will pass soon.
    Thanks for your help
    Daisy image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. leashedForLife

Melton&Mabel said,

Mabel the Jug is 4-MO, & Melton is brilliant with her. He is so submissive, gives up his food for her and any toys. They snuggle together a lot and are inseparable. He's on his back a lot of the time, letting her pin him, and he waits for her when they chase each other.
    I've attached a photo.

sorry it doesn't fit the script as written by De Dawg Wrassler & his various role-models [starting in the 1950s with the ex-K9 handler & war-vet of WW-2, who became the most popular & well-known trainer for the next 20-years, working for Disney - the only book CM/DW has ever read, on dog training, sadly],
    but giving up food to his lil' buddy, or letting her have the toy, is not "submission". It's
    deference - not to be mistaken for p*ssing one's pants & wimpily giving over everything, it's a happy sharing with a buddy; the buddy wants it more than U do? --- U hand it over, smiling. :)
    Similarly, his LYING DOWN to wrassle with her, or rolling onto his back & self-handicapping as they play, is the sign of a well-socialized dog who recognizes the massive discrepancy in his size vs hers, & his speed vs hers. The game is no fun if U win every time, in 5 moves or less - U need to make it a bit more even, to introduce some minimal challenge.
    Adult dogs who play with puppies, IF THEY ARE WELL-SOCIALIZED DOGS, will lie down to jaw-wrestle & use only their heads & necks, while the pups use their whole bodies to give themselves some leverage.
    It's called "play". ;)
    Only a very rude or bullying or undersocialized adult dog would knock down, terrorize, & wrestle full-on with a little pup.
    From this remove, i can't even hypothesize why he's humping other dogs - I can only suggest U prevent the behavior before it begins, which probly means a dragline on him attached to a front-clip body harness. As soon as U see the 1st body language hinting he's about to sidle up to another dog's butt, drag him outta there.
    Meanwhile, i'd look for a local trainer who uses humane methods; skip the dim-bulbs who spout dominance / dumbinance, stick to folks who teach the dog what's wanted, vs punish the dog for what's NOT wanted.
    If U're in the UK, the APDT-uk is an excellent 1st step. Choose a trainer who lists behavior modification & works with adult dogs - not someone who advertises puppy classes & training only [train = teach cued behaviors; B-Mod = change the dog's emotional response to a known stimulus or context].
    http://www.apdt.co.uk/dog-owners/local-dog-trainers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice