Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neutered Border Collie

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lovehatetragedy, May 6, 2011.

1. Lovehatetragedy

Lovehatetragedy PetForums Senior

So, about 7-8 months have past now since we got him and Merlin is now out of his puppy stage and has turned into a brilliantly behaved dog.

He was Neutered on Tuesday and ever since he's been acting very weird. Being my first dog im not sure what to expect. We were given painkillers to put in his food for three days so we're thinking its them, but since he came back he's been acting very dozy. He actually nods off when he's sitting up! All he wants to do is lay down with us and he's not been wanting to go for walks, he's so resistant to taking them he's holding it in when he has to go just so he only needs to take one or two walks a day.

We've also noticed the swelling around his testicles. The veterinarian said he would be slightly swollen but they're almost twice the size of what they should be and they're very red and sore looking. Now from what I've personally learnt through my experience at a vets surgery I'm thinking he has a possible infection. Could this be the case?

Thanks for any help you can give I'd really appreciate it!

[​IMG]

^ Sporting his buster collar!

#1 Lovehatetragedy, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

When I had my boy neutered, I remember him being dozy from the sedative that evening and a bit the next morning. But other than that he recovered super quick and was ready for his usual walks and training.
    If he's still really dozy now and you are worried about the swelling, I think you do well to, as you suggested, give the vet a call. Even if only to set your mind at rest.

Hope he's feeling better soon :)
    P.S. He's a really cutie! Sucker for collies here :eek:

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

lemmsy said it all! :)

4. Lovehatetragedy

Lovehatetragedy PetForums Senior

Thanks for the help Lemmsy, i took him straight to the vets this morning. He has a minor infection in the wound and its obviously causing a lot of pain and discomfort. They've given him a painkiller and antibiotic injection to tie him over the weekend and a new buster collar to keep him from nibbling at it so fingers crossed he'll feel at ease now :)

5. Mistyweather

Mistyweather PetForums Member

Poor boy, I really hope he is feeling better soon/by now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice