Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neuted

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KirstyLouise, May 8, 2011.

1. KirstyLouise

KirstyLouise PetForums Member

Hi guys

my two kittens are having the chop tomorrow but im worried about them as my friends kitten died on Thursday after being spayed so im really worried.

:(

2. Shelley Cat Lover

Shelley Cat Lover PetForums Member

It's more than likely that they'll be fine as long they have no underlying health issues and as long as you keep an eye on them afterwards :)

So sorry to hear about your friends kitten though, were there some complications? :(

Are you getting boys or girls done? My three boys have all had their furry space hoppers snipped, and it was all without any worries. My little girl went for her spay last week and it's a bit more serious surgery, they require some more rest afterwards and closer monitoring to make sure the wound is healing properly. Your vet will probably send you home with an e-collar if youre having a spay, so kitten can't lick her wound open or pull her stitches out.

X

Your vet will talk you through the aftercare procedure, and as long as you follow their advice you should be fine :)

3. KirstyLouise

Aw thanks and yeah something with her heart really sad and has made me so scared and my kittens are both males but im really worried but know it best to neuted them for there own health xx

4. Shelley Cat Lover

That's so sad :( I was freaked out about mine, as I have a stunted growth girl, we waited until she was teetering on the 2kg mark before we got her done. I was so panicky all day till we got the call to go and get her.

The boys were all pretty happy when they came home though - Bentley just looked at the area, looked a bit confused, looked around for them for about a day and then got on with life lol :)

I'm sure yours will be fine, good luck with the vets though :) x

5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It's so difficult not to worry but statistically they will be fine. Anaesthesia always carries risks but if your boys are both fit and healthy than that risk lessens. I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend's kitten but wish you all the best for your boys tomorrow

6. KirstyLouise

What part do they actually cut off?

7. Shelley Cat Lover

They open up the scrotum and take the testicle out. It sounds grim, but it's all normally all done quite neatly :)

8. Jansheff

Jansheff PetForums VIP

I'm sure they'll be just fine. When my two brothers were done the vet told me, with some amusement, that she did the first one, put him in a cage to recover, then did number 2. Number one woke first, saw number two sleeping in the next cage and yowled the place down until someone put him in with his brother, when he settled down, snuggled up and slept it off properly.

They were playing again before the day was over. I'm sorry about your friend's kitten, but such cases are the rare exception.

EDIT!! Just re-read that and realised how it sounds! I don't mean my own brothers were neutered, my two cats who are brothers LOL!

9. KirstyLouise

They had their op and they are both fine.

Thanks for all the advice guys xxxx :D

10. Shayden

Shayden Banned

LMAO @ the cat looking for his missing balls... thats hilarious!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice