Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Nettle Stings??!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, May 25, 2010.


  1. PoisonGirl

    PoisonGirl Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    19,820
    Likes Received:
    388
    Can dogs get stung by nettles?! :confused:

    Since our walk Dixie has been holding her paw oddly and keeps suddenly licking it.

    I have had a really good look, there is nothing there, I run my nail down all over to check for tiny thorns, nothing, checked between her toes and pads, nothing.
    She wont walk on it right and keeps stopping to lick it, then looking at me to say help!

    What can it be? What should I do?!
     
  2. paddyjulie

    paddyjulie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 9, 2009
    Messages:
    13,867
    Likes Received:
    828
    yes they can.... give her a piriton if you have any..it may help

    juliex
     
  3. Kinjilabs

    Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    11,079
    Likes Received:
    381
    As far as I know dogs dont usually get stung by nettles, well mine never have, could be a grass seed stuck in there? they bed into the feet.
     
  4. PoisonGirl

    PoisonGirl Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    19,820
    Likes Received:
    388
    Dont have any of that :(

    Shall I rinse her feet with cool water will that help?
     
  5. PoisonGirl

    PoisonGirl Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    19,820
    Likes Received:
    388
    I was really thorough with my check, turned an extra lamp on so I could see, there was nothing.

    Also she isn't licking the same place. She licks the back of her leg between her foot and dew claw pad, and when she walks she kicks her leg back as if its itchy then stops to lick her pads. When she's lying down she licks her toes :confused:
     
  6. Mum2Heidi

    Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2010
    Messages:
    13,024
    Likes Received:
    3,968
    When I stung myself as a child my gran used to always find a dock leaf (funnily enough they tend to grow near stinging nettles) wet it and rub it on the sting.

    I think they can get stung because Heidi is never keen to retrieve her ball if it goes in some.
     
  7. SpringerHusky

    SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2008
    Messages:
    14,968
    Likes Received:
    246
    What colour are her paw pads? Rusty recently got burnt on the pink bits of his pads like sunburn, they were very sore but I put some aloe vera cream on and soothed him up fine. (i've come across dog's with pink paw pads getting burns quicker/easier than one's with black not totally sure why)
     
  8. PoisonGirl

    PoisonGirl Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    19,820
    Likes Received:
    388
    Her feet are black. Dave is fine.

    OH threw a log and it bounced off and went into the boggy bit.

    Could an insect in the water have bitten her?

    This has happened before and I seem to remember it happening up the same road. It did eventually go away.

    I've got tea tree cream and something thats for putting on cuts, nothing much else, need to stock up my 1st aid boxes!
     
  9. Kinjilabs

    Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    11,079
    Likes Received:
    381
    How old is she? sounds like the begining of an allergy.
     
  10. PoisonGirl

    PoisonGirl Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    19,820
    Likes Received:
    388
    She's 2 and a half.
    It's happened before though, and went away on its own. Just can't remember how long it took.
    I think she always had sensitive feet, she grazed her leg once and it turned into a sore as she kept at it, when it had scabbed up it must hav itched her and she just kept making it worse and bigger.
     
  11. Freyja

    Freyja PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2008
    Messages:
    10,405
    Likes Received:
    965
    They can get stung by nettles especially when the young nettles are just coming through. When I first started taking the twins out on extending leads Simba ran through some young nettles and spent ages after licking at his feet.
     
  12. PoisonGirl

    PoisonGirl Banned

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2008
    Messages:
    19,820
    Likes Received:
    388
    She seems ok this morning :)
     
  13. Burrowzig

    Burrowzig PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2009
    Messages:
    19,215
    Likes Received:
    13,794
    Dogs can definitly get nettle stings, mainly on pads and noses. Like with us, the itching and tingling subsides after a few hours. My Ziggy shows stings by not settling, licking at her paws and sometimes nibbling them a bit. She's learnt to avoid nettles now, and if she has to go through them, she picks her way through very carefully. Quite the botanist!

    Piriton should help if it goes on too long, or aloe vera gel.
     
  14. sailor

    sailor PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2010
    Messages:
    5,952
    Likes Received:
    167
    Im quite sure just like humans, dogs can get stung by nettles, especially on any exposed fleshy areas, like around the pads, where the fur is thinner.

    My garden is a haven for brambles and nettles, Ive been slowly digging them up bit by bit and sailor has been helping, bless

    He knows Im digging up plants that "bite back" lol and he will completely avoid the nettles, but gently tugs at brambles or tries to dig down to the roots with me and once its out the ground, he gently picks it up in his mouth, takes it off to chew, but can only stare at it instead, then comes back over to help dig up another.

    and judging by his actions on how he deals with these plants, its obvious he is trying to avoid getting stung or scratched etc

    When his stick or balls goes into the patch, he just circles it and you can see him , trying to find the best route in to retrieve his stuff... most the time tho, I have to get it :rolleyes:

    He also puts his bones in the brambles and really gently tries to cover the bone with the odd bramble stem etc he must know that no animal is going to risk getting attacked by these plants to steal his bone :lol:
     
  15. xxsarahpopsxx

    xxsarahpopsxx PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2009
    Messages:
    1,413
    Likes Received:
    19
    This happened to geordie on our walk the other day. as soon as she started hobbling, we directed her into a wee burn nearby and after a few minute the hobbling stopped and she was running round like a maniac again lol :lol:
     
  16. Terr

    Terr PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2010
    Messages:
    655
    Likes Received:
    5
    Mine gets stung all the time since the weather's been improving. What's funny is that he ALWAYS sticks his face in it like it's the most exciting thing in the world and no amount of happy recall sounds can get him to come back until he's been startled by a sting on his muzzle. :rolleyes:

    He did step in one the other day and his back right leg was poorly for about 30 seconds. After that he seemed to shake it off. I had a good look and didn't see or feel anything.

    Do nettle stings even stay in the skin?

    I had a GR who periodically suffered from something very similar but on his paw. We never found out what was causing it but my mum got some soothing tea tree and aloe gel (or something to that effect). It probably didn't stop the problem but it helped him feel more comfortable.

    Hopefully it goes away soon and you figure out what's causing it.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice