UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I tried to tie a strip of netting onto our side fence, to try and block off Jumpy's access to next-door's garden near their gate where he can see into the road.

Did it work?? NO!!! :sneaky2:

Jumpy jumped straight INTO the netting, untangled himself, then got onto his usual perch in next-door's garden - from which point he jumped on top of their high gate!!!!! :eek:

This meant he was looking at the road and could've jumped down the other side.... he hardly ever goes up there, or jumps over, but tonight, because he knew I was trying to block his access, he did it!!! :devil:

He had been watching me the whole time I was preparing the netting, he just knew I was trying to stop him doing something, and he was having none of it!!!! :prrr:

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
your boy is so cheeky!

what is plan b? :D
Not sure........................ :001_unsure:

The Felisafe is still an option, but I am worried that he will find an escape route anyway!!! He likes to run off down the end of the garden where all the mice are, into the alley, at least it's safe from cars and people! If he finds he can't run down the garden, he might try harder to get out the front...... :001_unsure:

Today we had builders fitting a new roof on our next-door neighbour's house, and Jumpy was such a good boy, he couldn't go out until about 6pm, but he wasn't making a fuss, he knew there were builders making a noise and he knew to be wary when he did go out, so he is a very streetwise boy. I just hope Pixie will be the same when she gets to explore too! She's turning into a little rebel in the house, going everywhere that I tell her not to, and not listening when I say no... :sneaky2:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Gatsby is the same! Will stay put/stay in quite happily unless he gets the idea that this is my intention! I do worry about him going out - especially when I see him crossing the road. (not a busy one but a road nevertheless) Of course, the irony is, he has been out on the streets since he was about 3 months old and that's how he came to be with me. Now he has a cat flap and all other home comforts, will he use them? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Take 2.................................................................................. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I made a second attempt by running a length of plastic mesh along the top of the fence by our side gate. It's much more sturdy than the netting I tried before. Luckily the fence posts were already high enough to secure it. Mesh - PVC 5m x 0.5m x 25mm, 5397007007022

After much struggling with cable ties, and cutting my finger on a massive pair of blunt scissors!! :eek: I finally managed it!! The cats were shut in the house during this time.

Jumpy however this morning defied my attempts at cat proofing by jumping up and over it AGAIN GRRRRR :mad2:

I need to modify it asap because Pixie has started having surpervised garden trips now too (which she loves!!!). She would most likely be too small to scale up it like he can, but I really need to block up a hole which is currently blocked by a bin (which Jumpy uses as a stepping stone!!) He seems determined to overcome any osbtacles I try to put in his way :mad: :incazzato: :incazzato:

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the betting in a vertical position, as this might be the reason he is trying to jump it.
It's mostly vertical, but as it's not solid, it is quite flexible and does lean over slightly towards where he would normaly jump up. He jumps onto the bin in the corner (which needs to be moved, but can't until I find out how to block up the big hole behind it!!) - and then scrambles up the netting!!! :eek:

I have seen this little monkey scrambling up to the top of flimsy trees before now, and he sometimes gets onto the neighbour's low roof, so I'm really not sure what to do next :( :(

Do you have any practical advice on how best to deter him??? He seems to think he has a right to go into next door's garden at all costs :frown2:

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i'm sorry, i know it's no laughing matter but you've got to admire his determination!! ;) i've just got a mental picture of him there plotting how to thwart your efforts with the netting!

hope you get it sorted soon, it's for his own good after all! :)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ha, yes it would be funny if it wasn't such a worry!! :eek:

The thing is, each time I've tried something, he seems even more determined to get over it! I know there must be a way of making it less attractive to climb, but I'm not sure what........ any ideas?????? :confused:

I might be able to make the mesh half holes half-sized by putting another layer of mesh on top, so that it crosses over with this one, which might stop him from getting a foothold.... maybe................ :skep: :skep:

Just noticed that B & Q sell some very cheap brackets, which I could maybe run along the top, attached to the fence posts - but would they be the right size and angle to stop him?? http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/storag...y-Bracket-White-H-30cm-9796552?skuId=10187257

Must block up the hole behind the bin, and preferably with something solid! Will probably attach some of this mesh over it first, then put something else on top... which he can't climb on :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.