Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Netherland Dwarf...Info Please!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by cherrie_b, Jun 30, 2009.

1. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Hellooo from me and Jackson! :D

I was wondering if you guys could give me some info on my new rabbit!? I have scoured the web and alot of websites have said that the breed is a) not suitable for children and b) doesn't have the best temperament. Would you guys say this is true?

Jackson is going to be an indoor bunny (in the front living room...out of bounds to the cats) because my 2 cats would attack him if he were in a hutch outside...are ND's ok with this? The tinterweb says that they are fine but I just wanted to hear off anyone who does have their ND indoors!

:001_tt2: Thanks :D

2. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

We have two Netherland Dwarf rabbits, male and female that live seperately but outside in hutches with pens attached. I find that Binka, our neutered male is a nicer rabbit when he's away from his hutch - he tries to be a bit dominant if you try and stroke him when he's in his hutch or pen. I think if you handle them a lot from being young you would probably be okay.:)

3. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Thanks Jazzy! :D I never realised how difficult they were to catch once you let them out...he is super fast! He was just admiring himself in a mirror! :eek:ut:

I am going to the market in a minute to see if they have any hutches or pens for him to play in the garden! :D

4. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

oooooh never thought of looking at a market, good thinking batman!

5. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Any rabit can be unsuitable for a child it depends on the handling you put in and generally what the rabbits temprement can be like as all rabbits are different. Size wise a netherland is a ideal size for a child if supervised and get your child to wear a long slieved top as rabbits claws can be sharp. If its going to be a house bunny they tend to get more handling and use to human contact. I would suggest to get your bunny neutered as soon as old enouhg if you donnot intend to breed as this also plays a major part on there behaviour. Ideally rabbits are better as a bonded pair of neuters male and female as a pair as they really love the company of other rabbits. Getting males neutered helps also to stop them spraying. Good luck.

6. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Thanks for that. I shall be getting him neutered asap. He will be getting a lot of fuss...from both me and my housemates and my boyfriends kids. I was going to get him a friend but I will have to get a bigger cage so I am keeping an eye out for one.

He is ssooooo cute! :D

7. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes they are quick aren't they.:laugh:

I used to have one that ran round the garden, years ago, and our toy poodle would play with him.

8. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

I've got an indoor nethie called Poppet, he's nearly 10 months old now :eek:
    At first he did nip abit when being handled (well nipped me anyway) but being brought up around my dog hes started copying what the dog does.
    Poppet ADORES my dad and constantly follows him around the house. (I'm so jealous!!) and he even sits on his knee to watch tv and licks him!
    The only problem with Poppet is bed time / medicine time! Theres no catching him! It takes three of us to get him as he hides under our recliner sofas however he is getting the hang of running out the door so we're doing good!
    He's also been toilet trained since we bought him home :) x

9. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

I have nethie cross he about 8 months old at first he liked being handled when he was tiny but didnt like it after s while..but now since he is out during the day he dosent mind now you just got to watch with any rabbit those back legs..:eek:

Love to see piccys on your bunny..;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice