Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nesting box??

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by steph2010, Jun 5, 2010.

1. steph2010

steph2010 PetForums Junior

I have read on quite a few threads about some people putting newspaper in there cats nesting box and i was wondering if its something that you must do?? She has been acting really different the last 3 nights, on Thursday night she was in her box meowing and purring and also moving around quite a bit as though she couldnt get comfy then she would come out and lie in front of it then go back in, i noticed yesterday that there was what looked like bits of dried runny poo on the kitchen tiles (was out for a couple of hours) and also when i had came back in she had got a pair of trousers (my daughters dolls pair) and they were in her litter tray, think she peed on them:confused: she went for a poo yesterday morning and it was absoloutly stinking but it wasnt runny, according to the vet she will be 63 days on tuesday so does this sound as though the birth is quite near with the behaviour she is displaying..almost forgot when she is walking away from you and her tail is in the air you can definatly see her genital part alot more like its got bigger where as before it wasnt that obvious..

she has spent the last couple of hours trying to get into everywhere like behind the tv unit, behind the couch, behind the washing machine, and everywhere else she can get to, then she just lies down and goes to sleep for a bit then does the whole routine all over again

Thanks steph

#1 steph2010, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That last paragraph sounds a lot like Rilly was in the last 24hrs!

For your sanity and to keep your girl at ease it might be a good idea to confine her to the room where her nest box is, hopefully in a quite area. Ideally away from high traffic areas, other pets and small children.

She might cry a little, but this is easily solved if you can devote some time to her now so you are there when the kits arrive. I know this isn't always possible for everyone, but as much time as you can just incase she needs your help during birth, or even just some comfort :)

We never put newspaper in Rilly's box. We had an old large bath towel over some large bubble envelopes :lol: She found the envelopes to be very comfortable in the last couple of weeks, so I thought why not :D Then it was an easy job to take the towel out and replace with fresh a couple of hours after we were sure she had finished giving birth. We still use towels in the nest box, a clean one every day. It's much easier for us, and I feel more at ease knowing we can boil wash the towels to keep them absoloutely clean.

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Cotton has newspaper in her nesting box to which I will add towels and a fleece blanket :)

She had a thing for laying in the litter tray as I was changing it over (I line it with newspaper) so I shredded some in her box and she loves it :)

[​IMG]

4. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I use a towel. You can use blaknets if you want, it's only a matter of washing / disposal, that's all.

Liz

5. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

I put shredded newspaper in Geri's box with a towel and when she was in labour she pushed most of the paper and the towel completely out of the way and just gave birth on the cardboard with just a few bits of newspaper but obviously that was comfortable for her.

Mo xxx

6. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

When you change the towel every day where do you put Rilly & kittens whilst you are doing it have changed today but quickly while Geri was out of the box
    when we tried to do it yesterday she wasn't at all happy so we left it, well we tried to put towel back to make it warmer & more comfy for them spose its all a learning curve but don't want to upset her.

Mo xxx

Mo xx

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I would sneak in and do it when she leaves them. They do get a little annoyed but it is best to change it daily as the urine can cause infections. I literally had to tip Poppy out of her crate last week but we got there, another thing you can do is put the kittens in a little bed, or somewhere safe then quickly change the bedding.

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Well from day one my hubby and I have done it together. I have a tea towel that was boil washed before birth, this is laid out on a pillow on my lap/boobs :)o), Chris popped the babies on there quickly, then changed the towel, and weighed each kitty before replacing them.

It helped to put a plate of Rilly's favourite treat down before starting ... Tuna which had been washed and zapped in the microwave for 20 seconds to make it nice and smelly/irresistible.

If you don't have someone to help, just pop a pillow or a towel in a cardboard box and pop them in there while you do what you need to. Your queen should get used to it (thankfully Rilly never minded from day one), and it helps you create a better bond with the kitties yourself if they know you from as early as possible. I didn't start having proper cuddles until about 3 weeks though, this was also when I could take a little longer taking my pictures in the light tent as well. I simply replaced the pillow and towel part to a quick sit in the light tent on a covered hot water bottle :D

9. Momo12

Momo12 PetForums Member

Aw thank you both for your tips very useful actually bribery with food sounds a good one don't know why I didn't think of that, its just been a whirlwind since they been born and I have been so busy, its only now I am starting to think of loads of different things and starting to worry a little that I am actually doing things right as never been here before so I am learning all the time and some questions seem so silly but best to ask if unsure PF has been fantastic with all my worries so thanks once again:thumbup::thumbup:

Mo xxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice