Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nervous owner

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Britishshorthairbabies, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Britishshorthairbabies

Britishshorthairbabies PetForums Member

Hi all

I am on my final count down for my new bsh baby and wanted to ask your advise AGAIN! I am a nervous owner after losing one of my babies to dry fip in September. I have asked to see the dad and the owner of the stud has said its not the done thing but the queen owner said she will see what she can do? Is there anything else we could do or ask for? I vaguely remover someone mentioning a mating cert would that be enough? Should I be concerned? I have another four weeks to wait and I am nervous about adopting/paying for what's not a real bsh?

Thanks Nikki x

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Is this BSH not registered then? If not, then I really wouldn't be paying as there's no proof he's a BSH without that registration certificate. Anyone can make a pedigree. Seeing the stud won't necessarily give you any useful information. What are you hoping to get from it? Perhaps then I can better understand why you need to go. None of mine have seen the stud, but to be honest, no new owner has ever asked for that.

I would be more concerned about the conditions the kittens were kept in, how many cats there were in the household, hygiene etc. FIP is such a horrid, unpredictable disease that that's the best indicator you're going to get as to risk factors. You could have a titre test done, but again that doesn't really tell you much, as it gives no indication of whether the corona virus will mutate or not.

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Unless the owner of the queen also owns the stud then it would be unusual to see him. Also could you tell by looking at a cat if it's been registered? No. Not meaning to be nasty, but what proves it's a real BSH is it's registration with the GCCF, or (less likely) TICA, or (possibly) CFA via Felis Britanica. These days you get a rather nice A5 card, plus the pedigree. You don't get to see the mating certificate.

The kitten's breeder should be saying who they register kittens with, you can check on the GCCF website for a list of prefixes, and they probably have a website.

4. Britishshorthairbabies

He will be registered with the gfcc, is that proof enough? I saw the dad of the last one I didn't think it was an unusual request. But looks like it is!

5. Britishshorthairbabies

I am just paranoid x

6. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

Paranoid is ok - he's going to be your baby! I saw pics of the first dad, saw the second dad at the breeder and went to see the third dad at a show (with both breeders fully aware) so I wouldn't have known it was that odd either. I don't think it will help from a disease point of view though, just give you an idea of where some of you cat's characteristics come from. (You've got your daddy's nose etc)

#6 Jonescat, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  7. spid

spid PetForums VIP

YOu may have seen the dad of the last one as the breeder owned both mum and dad. If you don't own a stud you often travel a long way to take the queen to stud. Coda travelled for 2 and 1/2 hours to get to the stud and much as the stud owner might allow people to come and view her stud its a long journey for prospective parents to take and the stud owner has done her job getting the cat pregnant so shouldn't need to tidy and entertain a slave for a couple of hours just so they can see dad.

I show people Coda's active GCCF registered certificate, the mating cert, pictures of Dad (online on the breeder's website), the kittens GCCF certificates as they are back, and Coda's pedigree (I haven't printed the kitten's yet). I have to say most have been surprisingly uninterested. Maybe it's BECAUSE I offer them freely without being asked.

FIP is horrid and I hope you manage to stay free of it - but seeing a couple of cats isn't what you need to be looking at - take Carly's advise and look at those factors. Registration with the GCCF is proof enough that he is full BSH. It won't guarantee that he will live to be 21 though.

8. OrientalSlave

Think most people are uninsterested in the things you show them because they don't know what they are. When I collected my kittens in July all I really wanted to see was a correct looking pedigree, and a registration for the girl that showed her on the active.

You can overload people. Ask them if they want to see all those things before you launch into the spiel. Suspect they will be more interested in photos of the stud than anything else. I had seen the stud for my kittens as the breeder owns him. I even got to rub his tummy!

9. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

When I went to pck up my kittens I was shown mum,grandma,grandad and even half brother, but not dad as he had sadly passed ( recently).He was on the website. He was quite an older dad at 9yrs but It was lovely to see all these family members, and see what my two would look like in the future :)

With my previous girls the stud was kept elsewhere so I only ever saw the mums. I did always wonder though..

10. OrientalSlave

In my experience breeders usually let you see all their cats though I didn't see my kitten's mother as she was rather shy. (thankfully the kittens are not!)

But kittens don't always turn out like their relatives! If they did breeding a stunner would be simple. :D

What really matters in my view, apart from getting what you pay for, is how you feel about the breeder and their setup. And the time to think about that is when you go to see the kittens, not when you collect them. The breeder should be your first port of call if you have problems, and it's vital you will feel comfortable about contacting them.

Do of course make sure you know their preference - some of us for example loath text, and some of us hate being rung after 8pm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice