Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nervous Kitten - first time cat owner. T_T

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Kitsiekit, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Kitsiekit

Kitsiekit PetForums Newbie

I've had dogs my whole life, so I know what to expect with them, but I've never had a cat before. Just recently brought home my new 4 m/o munchkin kitty on Friday night, and kept her in my kitten-proofed bathroom and adjoined study.

She had been hiding behind the toilet and the bottom of my table in the study the past two days, but yesterday evening came out and had food, played, even slept on my CPU while I did my work. The whole time the door to the study was open but she didn't dare venture out, just stared. Up till this time she's been willing to come when I extend my hand at her, and actively butts me with her head to get her pets and cuddles.

This morning when I went in and opened the door, she actually stepped out, and went out to explore the living room, but found a hidey hole under my plant's shelf, and hadn't emerged since, even though I've coaxed her and played with her. She comes out, sniffs, curls on me occasionally, but then darts back in just as quickly. Should I be worried?

Points to note: she's been using the litter box every night while I'm asleep, has been eating wet food except for this morning, where she only ate half the amount I gave her. I'm not sure if she's been drinking as I have a kitty fountain, but I haven't actively seen her drink. The wetfood I give her is pretty moist though.

2. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Sounds like you are doing a good job to me. She will get more confident as the days go on. Cats don't really drink especially on a wet diet - the moisture in the food is sufficient to satisfy them. Just keep doing what you are doing and Im sure all will be well

tyg'smum likes this.
  3. tyg'smum

tyg'smum PetForums Member

Ooh - new room! Scary!

Seriously, she'll be fine. She's found a safe place to sit and have her Important Little Thoughts, and she's having little explores, because she's a Big Brave Girl.

You're doing fine as well. As BarneyBobCat says, just keep on doing what you're doing now.

Pictures, please!

Treaclesmum likes this.
  4. Kitsiekit

Kitsiekit PetForums Newbie

Ah thank goodness. She's fine now and ventured out for dinner and is happily sleeping on my couch now. Her nerves make me nervous. xD She's still not eating as much as she's supposed to, but I guess that'll take some time?

Here's her hiding under my CPU yesterday. xD And another of her just staring. She has the most gorgeousss eyes.

Attached Files:

Treaclesmum and chillminx like this.
  5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You are right, her eyes are the most gorgeous amber colour :) Very pretty girl she is!

6. Kittynanna

Kittynanna PetForums Member

She is absolutely gorgeous

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice