Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nervous cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Annie38, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I recently moved home, and took my four cats with me. Three of them don't seem phased, but just over a month in and one of my boys, Dexter, is still hiding under the bed in the spare room.

At first I thought he probably needed time, so I'd let him eat his food in the spare room, but after a while I started to feel worried that I didn't see anything of him other than him poking his nose out to sniff to see if there was any food. I've started pulling him out from under the bed to eat with the others, but as soon as he's done he runs away and hides (I've tried shutting the door to the spare room but he disappears and I'll find him ages later hiding behind doors, or under cabinets looking scared to death.

What I don't understand is why he's so nervous - I sometimes give him a cuddle and keep him on my lap in the living room and he'll lie on my lap and purr his head off, but the minute someone else enters the room he disappears for the rest of the night. I just want him to feel comfortable but don't know what I can do to help him :confused:

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Personally I would never pull him out of his hiding place, as you have seen it is counter-productive. Coaxing him out is OK, with use of a wand or fishing rod type toys, or by offering treats. Persevere with this attention, a little at a time, and often, as it may take a while.

You don't mention his age, but if he is an older cat it could be the reason he is finding it harder to adjust to a new environment than your other 3 cats.

I assume you have had him checked out by the vet for any medical complaints, as that could also be causing him to hide?

It is probably going to a matter of just giving him time, and being very patient with him. I would get some Feliway plug-in diffusers and put them on 24 hours a day in the areas he spends most time.

Also maybe try him on a course of Zylkene, which is a supplement, not a drug, which helps calm stressed cats and gives them more self confidence.
    It has been successful in many cases.

3. Annie38

Annie38 PetForums Member

I say "pull out" but I did mean coax - it's strange, he will crawl out onto my lap and I'll pick him up and he clings on for dear life looking around as if panicked, and then suddenly will be fine, purring and pushing his head for more strokes, and then as quickly will be panicked again.

He's just over a year old - and the vet says he's in really good health. He's always been the quietest of my cats and has always been a bit of a mummys boy, not really interested in anybody else, but the constant hiding after weeks has got me really worried about him.

I did order a Feliway diffuser yesterday, am really hoping this works. While I'm trying to be patient it's upsetting to see him distressed!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice