Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nervous about going to raw food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Baldyegghead, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Baldyegghead

Baldyegghead PetForums Junior

Hi all, we have 2 dogs, both just over a year old, one a choc lab and the female is a mix, type of collie/lab so maybe a lurcher, she was a rescue dog so we don't know her background.

Anyway, they are on the last of their kibble, Hills Science Plan, and I'm awaiting a delivery of frozen food.

I've researched and researched, and just want to get their diet right.

When we are supposed to work on the 80 / 10 / 10 - does that mean 80 gms of say protein (chicken), 10 gms of offal and 10 gms of bone? But not for the first 5 days or so.

For the first few days I will try just white meat, no bones or anything else after they finish their kibble, wait a day before the new food. Is that correct?

If my order doesn't arrive when it should, what supermarket food is best to give, obviously cheap but nutritious, say drumsticks?

Thank you for helping a nervous, anxious new raw feeder to be.

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Dont panic first off :)

The 80:10:10 ratio (with 5% of the total 10% offal being liver and 5% being another secreting organ) is just a guide. You may, for example, find that your individial dogs need far more or far less bone.
    It also doesn't need to be balanced as a daily thing - as long as it works out over time, you'll be fine :)
    One day might be a really boney meal, so the next day would just be muscle meat and offal to counter it, it that makes sense.

Don't forget to look into what counts as muscle vs offal though, if you haven't already. It's not necessarily the same as what humans would consider!
    So heart, tongue, tripe, gizzards and similar are all muscle meats as far as dogs are concerned

wee man and Torin. like this.
  3. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Think of the 80/10/10 in terms of percentages of the total grams of food fed a day to your dog. The bone content of 10 percent I find can be the trickiest thing to work out; it’s not hard really, but raw meaty bones differ according to bone content. For example a chicken wing is 37% bone, and the average wing weighs 80gram so each wing will provide approx. 30g of bone. As long as you stick broadly to it though I wouldn’t worry too much as it won’t hurt to feed say 15% bone one day or even more, as long as most days you stay close to the recommended. There are good websites which list bone content by RMB (raw meaty bones) which helps. Some bought in raw food may already have bone ground into it if you’re buying minced so check this as will count towards bone content. Actual bones to knaw on though every day or most days of week will help keep teeth clean and develop muscle strength in jaw, shoulders and neck. One note though with you having two dogs - they are likely to guard these bones like their life depends on it, so best to feed them in separate areas (at least at first). My dog is extremely protective of his RMB (not with normal food or rawhide bones) so I give him his distance otherwise he’s likely to try and gulp it down.
    I have found that Tesco sell chilled lambs liver and lambs kidneys very cheaply (£1.20-£1.30 per pound weight), and I divi up into freezer bags so just a case of pulling one out to defrost each day.
    Stick to one protein source to begin with and introduce slowly. Chicken is a good one or lamb. Blend up some raw vegetables too to give fibre and additional vitamins. I know all about the anxiety, But if you start simply it’ll be okay.

4. Baldyegghead

I'm going to start later this week, with skinned chicken breast or Turkey. I'll try that for about 3 days to see how their stomachs cope.

Then I'll start introducing chicken thighs, should I give the skin too?

Then I think it's time to introduce other things like meat, organs etc. Not looking forward to the tripe bit though (do they have to have it?).

Does that sound about right?

They have always had veg in their cages to go to bed with so I'll keep that up.

Thanks for the tip about feeding separately. Good idea I think as I'm sure they'll fight.

Our female likes to bury food! I've often found bits of veg or stick treats hidden under our throw in the settee.

5. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Your plan sounds good to me. You don’t have to feed tripe but I personally have found it to be really beneficial for my boy. It actually is he only thing that will settle his tummy if he gets an upset. I know it has prebiotics in it and put it down to that . it has a perfect balance of calcium to phosphorus, is higher in calcium than other meats (100mg calcium per 100g weight compared with other meats Which tend to range between 5 and 16mg), but doesn’t have enough to forgo RMBs for bone calcium. I buy it frozen minced and tbh doesn’t smell that bad when feeding raw (don’t make the mistake that my hubby did first time and cook it!!!) It stinks to high heaven then Ive got used to it and don’t mind the smell now. Let us know how it goes...

6. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Sorry I forgot to answer the other bit of your question - yes can include the skin of chicken or turkey.
    And as a note ensure all raw veg is blended to assist Digestion.

7. Baldyegghead

Thank you.Yesterday was day one. Gave them chicken breasts and Turkey escalopes in 2 meals, slightly less than they should be on as it was the first day. They loved it. No problems with tummies.

Today tried chicken legs. Both coped well with crunching the bones but I was a bit concerned with the speed the lab wolfed it down. Perhaps these would be better to give him frozen to slow him up?

Tomorrow for breakfast will give pork mince. Is it too soon to be adding a bit of organs?

8. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

You will find changing to a raw diet quiet easy but do be careful when offering organs, especially the liver as this can cause a runny tummy if too much is given at any one meal, try mixing it with another meat as by itself it can be very rich. All other organs are usually fine.
    Some dogs do not like chunks of lungs, my lot eat them easily of they are minced with another meat. I think it is the spongy consistency our lot don't like.

May I suggest that you purchase a little book "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". This is a very informative, easy to read and understand little book. Excellent for helping beginners and always useful for long term feeders too.
    If you register with the "Honey's" website you can order a book for FREE, or look on Amazon where you can purchase a book for as little as 1p.
    Enjoy your raw feeding :D

JoanneF likes this.
  9. Woah

Woah PetForums Member

Chicken wings for my Labrador tend to be scoffed whole within two minutes. For this reason I have stopped feeding them as RMBs now, not because I fear he will choke (he has no problem swallowing them down like this it seems and of course a dog is able to swallow much larger things than we could without a problem), but because they do not offer him the chew time so not worth it. I use my ginder on them instead and feed as normal meals.turkey and lamb necks I have found to be better suited. You will find what works for your dog.

10. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Bear in mind that a lot of dogs are sensitive to chicken...go onto Facebook and look up BarfUK as they have great starter guides. I have been feeding raw for 6 years and will never go back

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice