Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nero's dental...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AmberNero, Apr 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I'm picking up my boy in an hour, he's been in since 8:30am- and was on the table for longer than they thought he would be, and took longer to come out of the anaesthetic than they thought- but he's all done, waking up, and seems ok.

I was at my friend Julias house today with Amber, Julia, and Julias partner and their 4 dogs- tried to keep my mind off worrying, and they live very near the vets, so I could walk round if there was an emergency. Amber is staying with them for 2-3 days while Nero is overcoming the worst of the after-effects- she's quite clumsy and I don't want her to stand on him while he's dozy, or try to get him to play while he's too delicate.

Sooo Im sitting here at home now, without any dogs :cryin: It just doesn't feel right. My cat, Tig is being lovely- cuddly and purry, and keeping me company but my stomach is still doing flip-flops!

Poor Nero, he's going to feel awful, and it will feel so odd for him with no teeth :(

I don't know if I'll be back online later, it depends entirely on how Nero does. If he needs me, obviously I won't, but if all he wants to do is sleep, then I'll update a little later. Wish us luck, this is going to be rough, I think :(

2. bobbyw

bobbyw PetForums Senior

Sending speedy recovery vibes your way.

I hope he's not out of sorts for too long.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

Good Luck! Will be thinking of you and Nero. It will feel strange for him at first, poor thing...

4. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Good luck,wishing him a speedy recovery!

5. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Thank you :eek:

I'm off to set up the car for Nero. Urgh. I feel sick with worry.

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Wishing you well for this evening. Hope Nero is feeling better very soon.

7. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

Good luck for you and Nero! I hope eveything's ok - they're always a bit strange after they've been sedated just try to get him to lie down!

Sending lots of healing thoughts for him and hugs for you. :001_wub:

8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

All the best for a speedy recovery to Nero. Sounds as if he has really been though it today :( Lots of cuddles to him.

9. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Hope everything is ok with Nero.. Wasn't online today to wish him luck.
    Suki and Bailey send their hugs and licks xxwoofxx

10. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Hi all, thanks for the lovely messages :) We got Nero home at about 7, and he's finally settled down now so I thought I'd do an update while he's sleeping.

He has been heavily sedated, and has had a large dose of painkiller. As soon as we got in he crashed out for an hour on the floor, then woke up and started whining. We offered him some food and he tried a little, but it wasn't soft enough (it's special food, softer than pate, but still needed water and mashing) he needed to be spoon-fed to get him going, but then he got the hang of it, and he seems to feel a lot better. The bleeding seems to have eased up a little, too.

Every now and then he's whining, and it's very, very difficult to deal with, I know it's not helpful to cry, but every whine is like a stab to the heart :( We're sitting next to him, though, and when we stroke him, it seems to reassure him, and he'll stop whining.

If he is in too much pain I can give him some tramadol at midnight.
    I'll be sleeping with him downstairs, as he is too wobbly to go up to our bedroom tonight.

The worst thing is the guilt that I put him through this, and the shock of how different he looks. I know he will be happier in the long run though.

There is literally nothing that could have prepared me for how awful this is. My poor boy :(

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

ohmy you poor thing Im so sorry he's in pain and you're going through this
    It will get better, you both are strong and will get through the pain
    Get well soon Nero

12. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Aw gosh, it sounds really awful for you all right now :( I imagine it must as well as feeling sore feel weird not having them anymore and all a bit confusing for him right now. I am sure your gestures of care are a comfort to him and he will be happy to have you sleep alongside him this evening. Hope the situation improves soon. At least you know as you said in the long run in is for the benefit of his own health, comfort and well being. x

13. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Hope Nero's feeling better soon!

I felt terribly guilty too after Throp's dental as he was still really woozy and dripping blood from his mouth every so often and just seemed in such a sorry state, the next morning he was back to his old self boinging around. So don't be too hard on yourself.

AmberNero likes this.
  14. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Oh poor baby :( give him a hug from us & I hope he' much better tomorrow xxx

AmberNero likes this.
  15. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

How is he today? I hope you both had a peaceful night :)

16. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

Hope everythings OK today.
    My mums little lurcher had all that last summer at 14 and shes rocking n rolling fitter than ever now at 15. So all the worry is completely worth it when they are back to their usual self, and your wishing they would be still for a minute :)

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I missed this yesterday how is Nero doing today?

He may hav not looked too good yesterday but I bet as soon as he is recovered properly he will be thanking you for getting rid of his nasty teeth.

18. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

This is so true my mums little girl was so poorly, infections from the teeth were damaging her kidneys. Since having it done shes put on 5kg (12-17kg) and is back to her old bossy cantancerous self :)

19. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Hello all, thanks again for the support- a lot of the comments have made me feel better about all this :)

Sooo last night Nero was ok-ish, every half hour or so from 11-3 he whined, and only went back to sleep if I started stroking him, then from 3-5 he would settle if I told him he was a good boy and to go back to sleep, and made shushing noises like you do for babies. After 5 he didn't make a peep, bless him.

We gave him tramadol in his food at 12pm , but though he ate dinner ok, he really didn't touch the food. I called the vets this morning and they said to hod off til 12 for any more tramadol- and Nero doesn't seem in too much discomfort, so I think we'll be ok til 12 noon.

He mainly looks confused, and I think his whining this morning is a bit of a pain/ confusion mix, he's not normally a very clingy dog, but he wants me next to him right now, so he must be feeling rough (as he obviously would).

The bleeding has really eased up and he ate all of his breakfast, he was really looking forward to it, wagging his tail and all :) And when our lodger woke up he was happy and wagging his tail, so I really think he's feeling quite a bit better this morning- better than I thought he would :)

We have got through 8 clean towels already! So I'll do another update a bit later. My freind sent me some pics of Amber last night- she looked really happy and chilled out, it's so lovely to think she's going to be alright for the next few days, that made me smile last night. thanks again for the support and lovely comments.

20. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Pleased to hear things look better today. Poor Nero but at least he ate his breakfast so that surely is a good sign.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice