Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Nelly pug - home alone!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cuddypuppy, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

Had to leave Nelly on her own for the first time today as we had a family appointment with the dentist.

I set up the playpen, with the crate, puppy pad, safe toys and the TV on. When we got back 50 minutes later..............

She was absolutely fine :D She didn't seem overly bothered that we were back either.

This was a big relief as I know I will have to do this more often, as I go back to work on 7th September for 3 mornings a week (in a school).

2. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

She will be fine when you go back to work :D i always think that some time alone with no one around is good for them as they can really rest properly.

Did she leave you any lovely presents on the pad though? :p lol

3. Cuddypuppy

No little parcels for me!! I am not sure she knows what it is for though, as she has been going to the loo really well outside. ;)

4. rona

rona Guest

Well nows the time to start leaving her for short periods on a regular basis so that she is used to it when you do start work :)

5. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

Thats brilliant!!

My pugs were the hardest to housetrain. They will actually punish you sometimes! Delilah my oldest one used to be terrible, if we were in the garden and she was bad she'd actually run into the house, wait til someone was looking then cock her leg (yes, she actually lifts a leg to pee! :D ) on the carpet!! If we really upset her she'd leave a wee nugget :eek:

Just keep it up with getting her used to going outside and hopefully Nelly wont be as naughty as my little horrors :rolleyes:

6. Pam/Holly

Pam/Holly PetForums Senior

How old is she? Thats good that she was ok for 50 minutes while you were out. I would start to do this on a daily basis now and gradually extend the time a little to get her used to being alone. If you let her out before you go each time she will get into the routine nicely. How many hours will she be left when you are at work?

7. Cuddypuppy

She is 10 weeks old tomorrow and will be just over 15 weeks old when I go back to work. She will be alone for 3½ to 4 hours including travelling time, for 3 days a week during term time only.

8. Cuddypuppy

The toilet training and sleeping is going really well, but she has this habit of turning into a monster at certain times of the day and is really snappy and lunges for our feet, legs and faces!! We call it her gremlin moments and call an end to playtime when she gets too rough. If she hurts me I whimper. The rest of the time she is cuddly and sweet.

9. Pam/Holly

You should be able to have her ready by then to be happily left for that length of time on a regular basis. if you start to work on it now and and take it gently and calmly. :)

10. Pam/Holly

My little dog has always done this from a puppy and she is now 19 months old, she has a mad half hour usually it's when she is tired and won't give in. Once she gets it out of her system she is fine.

11. Cuddypuppy

What dog do you have? :)

12. Pam/Holly

I have a Yorkshire Terrier.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice