Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kammie, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Well I can see myself gaining a fourth rabbit fairly soon, my mums neighbour has just bought her 3 year old son a rabbit as he's been on about it after seeing mine. Problem is he was all ok with the rabbit when it was shut in the hutch and started asking for the bun to be let out so he could pet it and let it run in the garden but as soon as the hutch was opened and the bun moved the kid run screaming away from it. They've had the rabbit now for about 3 weeks and its yet to be let out for a run, my mum has tried explaining to them but to no avail and she didn't even know the rabbit needs vaccines so mum explained about that and neutering too. Thing is I can see this poor rabbit being left cooped up in a hutch for life or sold on, mum has hinted a couple of times that if need be I can take the rabbit from them if they've found its too much to handle but up till now they've declined the offer. Last thing I want is this poor bun being stuck like this for life although they are feeding it well and keeping the hutch clean. Mum is going to keep giving them advice and help them make it better for the rabbit. Any advice on how we could go about helping them more to give them a chance with the rabbit before pushing them more to giving it up?

2. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

Gosh, this is a tricky one.

I think there is probably one so may hints that can be dropped and advise given and if they are still not doing anything different.

Poor little bunny stuck in a hutch all the time, is anyone getting it out and holding it? It could get nasty if it isnt getting enough attention.

3. Lavenderb

Lavenderb PetForums VIP

You could always offer to look after it if they go on holiday. At least that way you can check it properly.

4. u-look-like-a-hamster

u-look-like-a-hamster PetForums VIP

steal it :p
    if they ask were its gone just say , i dunno.
    how come ther is a new rabbit in your hutch that looks like ours??

ohh ebay ;) lol

Xx

5. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

The neighbour bought the rabbit for her 3 year old son and he's scared of it, me and mum haven't seen them getting the poor thing out or even petting it inside the hutch so I can only guess at it being a no they aren't handling it. They don't even know if its male or female, they just said they'd got it from a friend who's rabbit had babies hence why I'm saying it rather than he or she. I am considering asking if I can sex it for them but the neighbours are so stuck up and think they're better than everyone that they won't accept help.

6. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I wish I could but I'm living in London and mum plus neighbour is living in Southampton. Mum is pushing as much as she can to take on the rabbit so I can bring it here once its had a full health check in Southampton and is in good health to travel/mix with my three.

7. Lisa Franklin

Lisa Franklin PetForums Junior

Really tricky, dont know what else to suggest really, you dont want to have to report them to the RSPCA or anything like that. Fancy not even know what sax rabbit you have.

If you are not best buddies with them and your mum doesnt mind maybe you will just have to be straigh with them.

Poor little thing isnt having much of a life at the moment and rabbits can live for a long time, it would be awful to think that they would live like that for their whole life.

8. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Yeah I've spoken to mum about it and she's going to come outright and say to them take the advice and do better by the rabbit or let her take it otherwise report it to the RSPCA. The neighbour is so stuck up no one in the road get on with her and she's only been there a year.

9. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

Thats riduculous surely they took the child to see rabbits before, and they would have known he'd be scared of them?
    I'd just keep trying to convince them that you should take the rabbit with you, its not fair to leave it in a hutch the whole time.

10. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

I think you should try and pursuade them to let you take the rabbit, they havent looked into looking after a rabbit before getting it and dont know whats involved, they bought it for their son who is scared of it and so it probably wont get looked after and probably end up dying or just being stuck in a hutch all day and night everyday!

Go on you can do it Kammie! :D

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You could also inform them that they are in breach of the animal welfare act, and are infact, breaking the law in regards to welfare.

12. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Yeah I'll try my best to get that poor rabbit out of there even if I need to notify the RSPCA whats going on.

13. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

you could offer to get the rabbit used to being handled and then teach the kid how to look after it and hold it. i used to do it with my moms friends dauhters hamsters. i had them for a few weeks and tamed them first. although i dont think rabbits make good pets for three year olds. some people have more money then sense!

14. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

thats a good idea,:) :)

15. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

These stories are so common just breaks my heart, why are these people so irresponsible and stupid? Its a living thing not a toy they can get out when they feel like it, honestly i really do despair. Not sure what to say Kammie, obviously if they arent taking your advice theres not much you can do but try and get it off them :( If you cant take it yourself I maybe able to help and ask round some fosterers/rescues in that area for you x

16. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

I can take the rabbit thats not a problem but its just getting them to give the poor thing up. I can't just go in and take it or they'll get police involved probably saying I stole it. Mum has phoned the RSPCA and asked how we stand with trying to help them like we are and they basically said carry on as we are try giving advice and it may eventually sink in but if it does carry on another couple of weeks or the situation gets worse they'll come out and deal with it. So fingers crossed all will turn out OK mum even said to the RSPCA that I'd be happy to take the rabbit to save it going into a centre which they were OK with. Just a waiting game now keeping a close eye on whats happening and when the neighbours are all out mum is going in to give the bun some cuddles and a run since they leave their back gate unlocked.

17. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

I think in time they will get sick of it. If they can't even be bothered to find out the sex then they are not all that interested in having a rabbit in the first place and was done simply to please little Johnny. I find it worryong that there are families up and down the country that are doing this all the time.

Personally, I'd bide your time. The day it nips one of them or they just cant be arsed anymore will be the day they hand it over.

I would try to avoid letting the RSPCA pay them a visit at the risk of it causing problems between your mum and them, they make take it as a personal attack and it could cause bigger problmes. Keep going with the suttle hints and maybe try and explian (as tactfuly as possible) that if left unhandled, rabbits can become aggressive.

The other option is next time the little boy sees your rabbits, take the most well behaved one out, hold it in your arms and kneel at his level, show him that there is nothing to be scared of, try and get him to gently stroke it and if he does tell him he is a good boy, clever etc, ask him if it feels nice and soft etc etc. he may just need a little education and reassurance, he prob didnt expect to see the rabbit running around, remember, to a three year old, this rabbit is huge!! try explain theat they need to run around just like he does and to play like he does.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice