Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours Dog Pooing in My House!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Debs2460, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Debs2460

Debs2460 PetForums Junior

Could anyone give me any advice regarding my neighbour's dog? He frequently gets into my garden through my slatted fence (he's a small Jack Russell). I don't mind this but he's started coming into the house if the door is open, and once he's devoured the cat food, and my dogs food if there's any left, he takes himself upstairs and has twice done a poo in one of the bedrooms. He also cocks his leg and marks. His owner says he does it in his house too and he doesn't know how to stop him. He's 8 mths old.
    I lost my old dog in may and have now got a 12 wk old puppy - I don't want him thinking this is the way to behave.
    Apart from the obvious answer of a new fence(which I can't afford anyway) has anyone got any advice on why he's doing this? I think maybe it's a dominance thing. I have 4 cats and the bedroom he does it in is where they spend a lot of time.
    Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

2. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

i know you say you cant get a ne fence but would some chicken wier be cheeper.

is he doing it when you are in the house or out.

3. Debs2460

Hi, he does it when I'm in the house or he sneaks in when I'm in the garden, I'm always about though when he comes in, otherwise the door wouldn't be open, and thankfully I don't have a cat flap.
    Chicken wire will probably be the answer, as I don't want my little pup getting over into their garden either.

4. marianne

marianne PetForums Member

Yuk! It's enough that we clean up after our own dogs but someone elses! It sounds like the pup next door should be crate trained. Even older dogs can relearn housebreaking. Since this one is only 8 months old it shouldn't be as hard. Since it is your neighbors dog getting into your house it should be their responsibility to secure their fence and yard. Best of luck to you!!

5. davehyde

davehyde Banned

i would honestly make the owner come round come round and clean the mess up.

make her spend time and money cleaning your house as well as her own.

she may decide to do something about her dog then.

i wouldnt put up with it more than once.

if my dog done it i would be the first to ask my wife to go and clean it up.:rolleyes:

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Goodness!!!
    What is your neighbour's attitude when you've mentioned this? has he been apologetic, offered to pay for cleaning the mess, vowed to control the dog more, mend the fence? Has he taken on board your upset, your worry for your new pup's safety (yours can get through the fence too most likely)?

Dog Wardens are pretty good at negotiation in disputes like this and they might also - tactfully - lay down the law, if your own efforts aren't succeeding.

Having had a similar problem, I know that a dog wandering on your property is technically straying by law, and as such could be picked up by the warden and impounded, to be released by the owner paying a fine. I'm sure you wouldn't want it to get to that stage, but it's worth thinking about - the threat of that from the dog warden might be enough for this chap to do something about it.

PS: Dog warden will have some very good constructive advice to give this bloke about his own dog's indoor soiling ;)

I'd be going mental if it was me!

7. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi....i would def get something cheap but effective put up against the fence...like the chicken wire !!! You can get some cheap stuff from B&Q.....!!!! Need to stop him getting into your garden and house !!!!

8. Louby

Louby PetForums Junior

if you dont mind the JRT coming into you rgarden why dont you get a stairgate/babygate for around £20 (mothercare) and put it at the backdoor when the door is open - keeps the JRT out and ur pup in. Voilá!!

L x

9. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Blimey you're a tolerant neighbour!

Get the neighbour in to clean up her dog's mess and start charging her for the dog and cat food it eats. Couldn't you both go halves on some really cheap chicken wire - after all, now you've got a puppy he's just as likely to start going into HER garden, which presumably you don't want.

10. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

I am fairly sure i am right on this ,:rolleyes: but its up to your neighbour to keep the dog on their own property,:wink5: so they should be the ones going to the expense of the fencing, or at least share the costs, which would help you both. :smilewinkgrin:

11. Debs2460

Hi Folks

Thanks for your replies. It's tricky because the house next door is rented so they aren't liable themselves for any enhancements.

I think chicken wire is the best option, then I won't have to worry about my pup straying either- I never had this prob with my old dog because he was too big to get through the slats. The fence isn't broken- it's just slatted to allow our roses to grow through it.

Yes I suppose I am quite tolerant, I like my neighbours and really wouldn't want any ill feeling between us. The owner of the dog is a lovely lad, maybe that's why I am so tolerant.:wink5: And yes he is very embarrassed and apologetic about it. He hasn't offered to clean up though but that's a man thing I think:D

I love your reply Davehyde, assuming it's a woman and that you'd send your wife in to clean up if it was your dog! lol:p

I'm just intrigued to know why a dog who has been out in the garden all day finds it necessary to poo in the house.

12. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I would certainly be insisting he cleans up his own dog's mess!

13. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

If the house is rented then get on to their landlord!

14. sammyben

sammyben Guest

OMG!! I would be mortified if my dog done that to someone else's house. I would ask your neighbour to get onto landlord about getting fence fixed...and until if I was your neighbour I would be making sure that the dog was on a long lead when out in the garden to make sure he doesnt stray!!!

x

15. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If my dogs go into next doors garden I clean their mess up.

We had a problem with their dog getting into our garden through the hedge. He just wanted to come and play with my two, but he is bad for playfighting, and was upsetting them when they were in bed.

I couldn't afford chicken wire (I would have needed loads!
    So I bought (from home hardware) a roll of green netting. Which we managed to staple to the bush/tree and used two lengths of it to make it about 5' high. It was much cheaper and easier as we could use scissors to cut it. And since the dog tried once to get in, he gave up.

x

16. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

The reason he's doing it is to be dominant... he's older than your new puppy and is showing him who's boss.

To be honest, this shouldn't be your problem. The neighbour should have proper control over him and if my neighbours dog came into my house and pooped and peed inside, I'd be sending them the bill for a clean up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice