Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours dog keeps attacking my cats!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Annamay123, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Annamay123

Annamay123 PetForums Newbie

Hi bit of a different/long post but I’m after some advice!

Last month my neighbours dog attacked my cat in the alleyway behind my house, the owner did nothing, told me the dog was dangerous and it would bite me when I went to remove the dog from my cat. The police were called because she was then threatening and abusive, the dog warden was called and my housing company. All of which have been useless, the abuse from the neighbours has continued but both the police and housing authority don’t want to “aggravate the situation”. We had to pay a £750 vet bill for our cat, obviously with no contribution from the dog owner. I’d like to add this dog has bit a child, roams free, has gone for my dog before and is all round aggressive.

Yesterday we were having a BBQ in the garden when the dog jumped my fence and attacked another one of my cats in MY garden. The cat was not straying she was laying in HER garden, the owners have a low fence which the dog easily jumps. The dog had no collar on, this was met with another load of abuse from the neighbours. Luckily this time my cat has come away with only a few bite marks and apart from being traumatised, I think she will be okay!

We have reported again to dog warden, as this is the second time in a month, I’m scared to leave my cats out because of this aggressive dog, who the owners have no control over and seem to think it’s fine? Whilst I understand it’s “instinct” but my cats are not provoking this dog. The dog made a b-line for my garden as it has the taste of blood.

Any advice? Thank you.

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Well, i would have thought you were in the right here - certainly with the dog jumping into your garden. They have a responsibility to keep the dog under control or risk having it removed.

Picklelily and Annamay123 like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Ps sounds like the neighbour is one that the police and dog warden are wary of too. You're a bit stymied really:(

4. Annamay123

Hi!
    Yeah that was my thoughts, they’re extremely threatening and intimidating people, makes a stressful situation even worse. It’s a real stress, hoping the dog warden will do something now surely?

5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Sorry you are not getting a good response from the authorities, I know how frustrating that can be! I would advise you to keep reporting until they are forced to act. This dog is clearly not in control therefore the owners are breaking the law. Unfortunately because of lack resources and sometimes it is just not considered worth the hassle nothing gets done. Don't give up keep reporting and insisting on action.
    On a practical note look at making your garden safe from this dog, increase fence size, add trellis etc. It may be annoying you are the one having to control the dog from getting onto your property but it is better to take control where you can and keep your cat safe than rely on others.

Picklelily, lorilu, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  6. Annamay123

Thank you for your reply!
    We are going to increase fence height, it’s just frustrating because they’re whole attitude is wrong- the owners and authorities! They see them as just “cats” but they’re not they’re my babies Nevertheless we won’t give up!

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Have you thought of catproofing your garden, it would be more difficult for the dog to jump up against netting as it may still be able to scale a wooden fence.

8. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Oh how awful!
    I would continue to press the authorities. Ask for a report number, quote the law to them, be a pest. This is exactly the sort of human behavior that leads to headlines. A dog who free-roams, has already proven through behavior that he is dangerous to humans (bit a child) and nothing is done.
    Please continue to press the matter with the authorities.

9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I agree, all you can do is keep reporting it and demand reference numbers to keep a record.
    As for the cats really consider cat proofing or a cat run as free range cats are just an accident waiting to happen.

Picklelily, lorilu and Annamay123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice