Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours dog burning my grass

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sleepyhollow, Apr 17, 2011.

1. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Now I am an animal lover, but I am geting sick of the neighbours dog peeing all over my lovely lawn. Its a big dog and he can now jump the fence and pee all over my nicley kept lawn. His owner is a young lad so he aint to bothered about it (fume). Once the grass is burnt yellow with the pee, is there anything I can do to revive it except replant grass seed?

I do wish pet owners would take responibilty for what their animals do, he should build a 6ft fence, but looks like I will have to foot the bill and build it, cos he won't. So unfair! :cryin:

2. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

I saw this problem on the Alan Titmarsh show! though they said it was only girl dogs that cause the yellow staining!!

He suggested as soon as wee is done to dilute area with loads of water.

Failing that it is to cut off the yellow area and re-turf that patch.

3. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

His dog is male, but still kills/burns the grass when he pees on it :(

Like I thought, I will have to reseed or returf (fume).

Irresponsible owners do my nut in.

Thanks for the water tip will try that! :)

4. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

How annoying is that?

You could try a deterrant - don't know if they work.

Or you could call your local dog warden and ask him to intervene on your behalf.

Copious quantities of water only works if you are right there when it happens - once it's yellow it's too late.

Trellis may be a cheap option?

5. SixStar

SixStar Banned

How frustrating, it's one thing your own dogs burning the grass, but when you don't even have dogs... that's just not on :(

I have 5 males and they pee burn- I've given up worrying about it now, but in the days when I tried to keep a nice kept lawn and dogs (I've wised up now!) I used to use Dog Rocks, which are just natural stones that you put in the dogs water bowl and they change the pH of the dogs urine to make it less acidic, and therefore prevents lawn burn.

You could buy your neighbour a box as a present- I know it's not up to you, but they're a damn lot cheaper than a new fence!

6. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Yeah, its not my dog, so very doubtful I would be there the moment it happens to throw water over the patch.

Would a dog warden get involved with that sort of thing?

I am so proud of my garden and take great care of it, it is gutting that a mindless yob and his dog are ruining it for me :(

The dog is a bull mastiff cross, so HUGE lol. Not sure trellis would be strong enough, but thanks for the tip. I was thinking that rush type stuff, but also not strong enough.

7. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Thank you, what a good idea lol. I will buy dog rocks, but it will all depend on him remembering to put them in his dogs water.

I knew posting on a pet forum would get me some good ideas/help.

8. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

The visual obstacle should be enough. Mastiffs, like most dogs, are lovely but not all that bright.;)

Dog wardens vary a lot from borough ot borough. A good one should certainly take this on board so worth a try, I'd have thought. He/she should also know what your local authority can do to help you.

PS. Dog rocks didn't save my lawn. Maybe it depends on others factors.

9. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

You are right there, the dog is a big softy, lovely natured and not very bright. Just a pity about the acidic pee :D

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If it was happening to me, I would be taking the dog into my house every time he was in my garden and having the dog warden collect him.
    Then the owner would have to pay to get the dog back.
    He would soon stop it jumping out then! :lol:

I can't stand people who don't treat their animals responsibly. What if it jumped out and got run over?!

11. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

His own grass is ruined and there are lots of mounds of poo that sit for DAYS, before he decides to clear it up. He rarely walks the dog, he just opens the back door and lets the dog out to do its business-yuk! Basically the guy nextdoors garden is a dog toilet! :tongue_smilie:

I have french doors that I like to keep open during the summer, but at this rate I won't be able to cos flies that have been all over the dog poo will then fly into my house-again yuk!

The more I think about it, I may contact environmental health its just disgusting. Thank god the dog has never poo'd in my garden, well none that I know about! :rolleyes::

12. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

Agreed. You could trial some trellis; discount hardware stores (most towns seem to have one!) sell it for about £1 a length so it couldn't hurt to tack some up and see how it goes. If it works out then long term you could even plant some lovely climbers like jasmine along it, to improve the smell of the poop wafting over into your garden! ;)

My neighbour on one side has a dog but the other doesn't, so I try to be extra considerate of them, because I know how diffecult they could make my life if they were to take a dislike to Flo!

Good Luck!

13. sleepyhollow

sleepyhollow Banned

Thank you for the advice! :)

14. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I laugh whenever people say only bitches do it. I'm like yeah guess who has no knowledge of dogs then :rolleyes:

Probably as lots of dogs cock at plants and things they kill them instead :rolleyes:

15. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Dog rocks often don't work (didn't with my dogs) and they cost around £10. They need replacing after about 6 weeks. Green plastic coated wire netting is about £25, 3ft high 10 metres long at Wilkinson's, a bit more at Wickes. That, fastened along the top of your existing barrier, should stop the dog jumping over. Like the other person said, you can plant clematis or other climbers to grow up it. It's your neighbour's job to stop his dog straying into your garden, and I'd have no qualms about handing the dog to the dog warden.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice