Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbour's dog barks at me all the time

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lulu's owner, May 22, 2010.

1. Lulu's owner

Lulu's owner PetForums VIP

I'm wondering how to make friends with a dog that lives next door to somewhere I visit between two and six days a month. It barks madly at me, obviously thinking the garden is part of its territory, and it races back and forth to try and alert its owners to the perceived threat. They are in the house and couldn't care less what the dog gets up to. I feel sorry for the dog and also it gets a bit annoying when I'm out gardening for hours.

Unfortunately the owners put the dog out almost all day long, it never gets any walks and they will not be prepared to co-operate with helping me make friends with the dog because I have rowed with them and when I was very angry I threatened to report them to the RSPCA (though the dog is well fed and groomed so I doubt the RSPCA would be interested, in truth).

So my question is, how can I get this dog to accept that I am around and not be hostile or scared of me? I try talking to him over the fence but that doesn't seem to stop the barking at all. I'm sure that part of the problem is that the poor dog gets no stimulation and barks overexuberantly partly as a result of that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice