Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours dog attacking my cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Annamay123, Jul 14, 2019 at 9:33 AM.

1. Annamay123

Annamay123 PetForums Newbie

Hi I’m after some advice!

Last month my neighbours dog attacked my cat in the alleyway behind my house, the owner did nothing, told me the dog was dangerous and it would bite me when I went to remove the dog from my cat. The police were called because she was then threatening and abusive, the dog warden was called and my housing company. All of which have been useless, the abuse from the neighbours has continued but both the police and housing authority don’t want to “aggravate the situation”. We had to pay a £750 vet bill for our cat, obviously with no contribution from the dog owner. I’d like to add this dog has bit a child, roams free, has gone for my dog before and is all round aggressive.

Yesterday we were having a BBQ in the garden when the dog jumped my fence and attacked another one of my cats in MY garden. The cat was not straying she was laying in HER garden, the owners have a low fence which the dog easily jumps. The dog had no collar on, this was met with another load of abuse from the neighbours. Luckily this time my cat has come away with only a few bite marks and apart from being traumatised, I think she will be okay!

We have reported again to dog warden, as this is the second time in a month, I’m scared to leave my cats out because of this aggressive dog, who the owners have no control over and seem to think it’s fine? Whilst I understand it’s “instinct” but my cats are not provoking this dog. The dog made a b-line for my garden as it has the taste of blood.

Any advice? Thank you.

2. Pepperpots

Pepperpots PetForums Senior

I’d probably get a high fence put up, and possibly cat proof your garden. It’s not fair that you have to do this, but it’s probably safer.

3. Scouttie

Scouttie PetForums Member

How awful for you. These people are not taking proper care of their dog and you paying the price.

From recent experience, take your cat to the vet to have the bite marks checked. My cat recently suffered a large abscess on her back, which we think was from a bite mark. This is despite the vet giving her an antibiotic shot after the incident (not the vets fault, the bite mark wasn’t visible and he was taking precautionary measure).

I think you pr only solution is a high fence, and come cat proofing to keep the cats in the garden. Unfair I know, but you have tried everything else.

jill3, chillminx and Annamay123 like this.
  4. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forum. Firstly I am sorry to hear your cat got attacked. I had this happen to me many years ago to one of my cats, and a neighbour’s cat was attacked by the same dog, but unfortunately passed away. I went after the owner, and when he said there was nothing he could do as it was natural for dogs to go after cats. I then went to the local dog warden. He went and gave the owner a warning, and was told if it happened again he would take the dogs away from him. It did happen again to someone else, and the dog warden took the dogs away. Like the owner wasn’t very nice and he is still the local bully of the area.
    I decided I would cat proof my garden, knowing full well we have cat haters on our estate. I felt it was a good move for me. Is there anyway you would consider this? Or build a catio so that your cat can enjoy the garden too. My husband also built cat trees and shelves for the boys. So that they can see out of the garden but not get out. The only time they are not allowed out is bedtime and when I go out. But I know in my mindset that they are safe from all the things that can harm them. I hope you can get some resolution to your very inconsiderate neighbour. The fact the dog has bitten a child it should have been taken away from them. The dog should be muzzled and kept on lead as it’s unpredictable. My dogs are fine with my cats, but outside cats are a different matter. So they are always kept on lead. I hope I have helped a little. It’s not fair that your housing authority, police or dog warden won’t help. I would keep ringing them until something was done about it.

Viv xx

Annamay123 likes this.
  5. Annamay123

Thank you for your reply, this has been helpful! Will definitely look at cat proofing that garden! Thank you x

sandy-cat likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Annamay123 - I am sorry to hear what has happened to your cats. :(

I am very surprised to hear the neighbour's dog has bitten a child and nothing effective has been done by the dog warden or the police to make the owner either keep her dog under proper control or risk having it confiscated.

A few summers ago I witnessed over my fence two German Shepherd dogs killing my neighbours cat in her own garden. The dogs' owner lived locally and the dogs had escaped from the owner's garden. They dogs got into my neighbour's back garden and attacked the cat as she lay snoozing in the sun. I yelled at the dogs and raced round to my neighbour's immediately, and the dogs ran off. But it was too late, the cat was left fatally injured and died as I got to her. It was awful.

My neighbour involved the dog warden, the police, our local councillor and the RSPCA. The owner was told by the dog warden to keep the dogs on her property, but the dogs continued to be seen free-roaming in the village. The police were not really interested at first but my neighbour persisted and eventually after 6 months of nagging, helped by a change of management at the local police station, the police decided to take the incident seriously.

The police instructed the dogs' owner to re-home the more energetic of the 2 dogs within a certain time frame, or both dogs would be confiscated. The owner decided to do this and with just the one dog she seemed more able to keep him under control on her own property.

I have been glad I chose to cat proof my own back garden. It was done for the purpose of keeping my cats within the garden, but the big bonus is they are safe from any predatory animals getting into my garden. I used a system based partly on Purrfect Fence UK's with its collapsing brackets and my own DIY system.

#6 chillminx, Jul 14, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 1:54 PM
  7. Annamay123

Thank you so much!

chillminx likes this.
  8. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Contact Trevor Cooper at Dog Law. He is an expert in this field & will give you some invaluable advice. There is plenty the authorities should be doing regarding this so he can help let you know how to approach this https://www.doglaw.co.uk/contact-us/

Emmasian, TriTri and Annamay123 like this.
  9. Scouttie

Chilli mix I am considering cat proofing the garden, and have been looking st the purrfect fencing. Can I ask did you install in yourself?

Annamay123 likes this.
  10. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I agree re cat-proofing the garden. Last year my neighbour's dog escaped for about the 80th time (they didn't make a lot of effort to keep it in and often left the gate open). He got into our garden, chased one of my cats and picked her up shook her just as she was trying to get in through the cat flap - I was there and saw it happen. He fractured her spine and she had nerve damage which made her lame for months. We now have a big cat-proofed garden enclosure for the cats, we used Protectapet who installed it for us. The dog has been in our garden twice since that time, I think he wants to repeat the experience. Fortunately he cannot get to the cats now but just seeing him in our garden makes me want to commit an act of violence!

Annamay123 likes this.
  11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Annamay123 likes this.
  12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes I did, with the help of my OH, ;) I bought a kit from Purrfect Fence consisting of pliable brown mesh and the special type of brackets which fold inwards under the cat's weight if they try to climb over the fence. The brackets are the major cost. We used the kit on the 6 ft high wooden fence between my garden and my neighbour's garden, and also on the fence that divides our back garden from our front garden and driveway.

The boundary the other side is a 7 ft high hedge which belongs to our neighbour. So we put chain link fence on our side right against the hedge. My OH screwed lengths of dark brown square plastic drainpipe, cut in half lengthways, to the wooden posts. But with hindsight we should really have had metal posts, which the cats could not have climbed anyway. (We chose not to because the metal posts tend to rust). On top of the chain link we put rolls of mesh loosely attached, so it moved if the cats tried to get over it.

We also had to cat proof the shed roof, to prevent the cats getting up there and from there to the garage roof. And cat proof a 30 ft high holly tree in the garden which was right against the boundary.

Ottery and Scouttie like this.
  13. Scouttie

Thank you. As you will have seen from m my other post scout is under house arrest at the moment - so I need to think about how to keep her safe when she is allowed out.

chillminx likes this.
  14. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

Youve been given great advice and the only thing Il say is my cat is an indoor cat because we lived in a flat but when we moved to our house with garden the whole street has dogs and both sets of neighbours have cat hating dogs! So despite the 6ft fence I would never ever let her out incase she went into a garden. I had an outdoor cat who I turned into an indoor cat age 10 so if you are unable to cat proof your garden so your babies are safe I would keep them in. Theres lots of toys and activities now for indoor cats and mine is perfectly happy and thankfully safe!

Annamay123 likes this.
  15. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

You're probably right to be cautious popcornsmum. Funnily enough I never had any problem with neighbour's dogs when I lived in London. There were quite a few neighbourhood dogs, but the cats seemed to know which gardens to avoid. People left the dogs in the garden but they had proper fencing and didn't want their dogs escaping because they were likely to be stolen or run over. Whereas here (rural) people rely on hedges and inadequate fencing, and don't apparently care if their dogs escape. I spent the first few months plugging holes under the hedge so another neighbour's two dogs (small white mop types) couldn't get into our garden - you'd think the owners would care, but apparently not.

Annamay123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice