Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours cat won't leave us alone

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Handsomejack, Apr 17, 2019.

1. Handsomejack

Handsomejack PetForums Newbie

For months we thought this cat was a stray (very skinny and very old). It turns out he does have a loving owner who cares very much about him, and took him to the vet when we commented on how skinny he looks.

The owner isnt home for most of the day so the cat is constantly crying outside our house and getting inside uninvited. He even scratches the door and knocks on the windows!!

The problem is we have a terrier who is scared of cats and were scared he will bite the cat out of fear. But the cat is completely unconcerned about the dog!!

How do we keep the cat away from our house? We have stopped feeding him for a start.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Have you told the owner?
    I would think a very old, very skinny cat would be unsafe outside alone all day?

Jackie C and buffie like this.
  3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I think you need to have another word with the owner as @O2.0 has said an old cat shouldn't be left outdoors while its owners are out of the house.
    Do you know whether it Is shut out or can it get back in through a catflap etc ,it would be safer for it to be kept indoors now or in a cat proofed garden

Jackie C and O2.0 like this.
  4. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Oh how sad for the poor old boy. I would do just as you’ve done here and tell the owner that her cat is at risk of being injured and how very worried you are about him. I’m sure if you approach her in a friendly way she may do something about keeping her cat contained for the time she is out. Unfortunately feeding him was a big mistake but you know that now.
    The cat, if elderly might have kidney disease or hyperthyroidism or both if he is very thin.
    I hope you can come to an agreement with your neighbour. Let us know how you get on.

5. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

You should have a word with the owner. They are being cruel to the poor cat. No cat should be left outside all day let alone an elderly cat. I can't believe anyone would treat a cat like this :(

Jackie C likes this.
  6. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Maybe the neighbours aren't cruel. It's possible that if they have a cat flap, but the cat is cheeky and knows it will get fed and fussed elsewhere, so it vensures out! We all know cats are very manipulative creatures and can pretend they're starving and have no home to go to. They aren't daft animals, and know how to turn it on.
    A word with your neighbour might be the way to go.

7. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

Definitely with @Jackie C on this one. Fat boy still goes round all the neighbours declaring he is famished, even straight after breakfast. He also goes out begging in the rain even when I am in and have fed him! Thankfully they know he does have a home and food! Assuming old boy does have a cat flap and that after expressing your concern for his safety around your terrier they don’t want to keep him contained, all you can really do is ensure you don’t feed him in the hope he loses interest.

8. Handsomejack

The owner does have a cat flap so he isn't being left out on purpose. He is waiting on blood test results from the vet to see what is causing the weight loss (he really is a bag of bones).

He said that the cat can go through a full box of cat food in no time at all, so we know that he is not starving him)

I havent had a chance to speak to the owner yet but I know he loves him dearly. I just feel so guilty having to nudge the poor cat away from me when he begs for food. He is such a gentle and loving creature!

chillminx, Orla and Soozi like this.
  9. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Just a guess but I feel that the poor lad may have hyperthyroidism and that’s why he’s always hungry but losing weight. I’m sure your neighbour does love him but he really needs to watch him more closely from now on. Just have a friendly chat with him I’m sure he will appreciate that you care.

buffie likes this.
  10. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

The neighbour should really be keeping the cat inside whilst the cat is so poorly :(

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Coming from someone who is plagued by someone's roaming cat, it infuriates me that people don't keep their cats contained. Old young, sick or not, the cat should be kept contained.

And in this case, letting an elderly, possibly sick, cat roam is not love. It's lazy and selfish, it is not love.

Rufus15 likes this.
  12. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

I hope the poor old cat is okay. xx I think if I was in your shoes, I would probably have feed him as well, even though it's probably not the right thing to do, but I just couldn't help it. ❤️ The poor cat should really be kept in. x

Soozi, MissMiloKitty and lorilu like this.
  13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I don’t know whether the owner is elderly? But sometimes they have different ideas to the generation now. He might think let the poor little man have his freedom for however long he has left. But it does sound as if the poor boy is poorly. :(

chillminx likes this.
  14. Handsomejack

Update: We caved and started feeding him again! He usually leaves after we give him a good meal so its just easier this way. Except for this weekend when he refuses aldi own brand food...he happily eats roast chicken slices though of course!

We spoke to the owner and he is going back to the vet this week. His cat has been let out since he got him so he probably wont stop. But he will listen to the vets advice.

chillminx and Soozi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice