Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Neighbours cat wont go home

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by animallover57, Sep 23, 2017.

1. animallover57

animallover57 PetForums Newbie

Hello I have just joined this group. I am having a problem with my neighbours cat. It all started when she (the cat) started coming into my garden, i really felt sorry for her because she was so thin and bedraggled, so i thought i would feed her. But i think i have made a grave mistake because now she wont go home. Every day she is waiting to come in my home and constantly meows for food, the only time she is quiet is when i pick her up and hug her.
    If i leave her out she will constantly meow and scratch on my door. I have a cat of my own and he is not happy with her being around.
    Can anyone advise me as to what to do. Thank you in advance

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Put a collar on her with a message for her owner to ring you.If you know, or think you know, where she lives, visit her owner and tell him/her that the cat is visiting you.If you don't know ask around other neighbours .
    And don't pick her up and hug her, definitely don't feed her and don't let her in, that will just encourage her! Cats are very good at looking pathetic and unloved, even when they aren't !;)

4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi, how is the situation now? Firstly, a thin and bedraggled cat, needs investigating. It could be seriously ill, but it may also be undergoing veterinary treatment and owned by someone devoted to it & may require a strict diet. My last cat cost me several hundreds of pounds a month in veterinary treatment and a lot of time and love was lavished on him, but in his last few months he looked thin and bedraggled! On the other hand your visitor may well be neglected, as so many cats are. If you haven’t already, I would ask other neighbour’s (preferably cat lovers), what they know about the cat. It may need rehoming, though that’s not often that easy or quick to do, but if necessary you can get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. Cats usually know where they are better off, but your visitor may make your existing cat Ill through stress. For both cats’ sakes and your own, find out more and if necessary approach the owner yourself. Be brave standing up for the cat and good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice