Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours cat missing nearly 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by saartje, Jul 14, 2019.

1. saartje

saartje Hallo

One of my neighbours cats has gone missing and she doesn't seem bothered. She has 2 female cats (they have been spayed) and a male cat (the male cat is not neutered) and the male has been missing now nearly 2 weeks. I asked her in passing yesterday if her cat had returned and she said no. If Saartje went missing I would be searching everywhere but she has done nothing from what she has told me, she just doesn't seem bothered at all. I am shocked that she is not even remotely interested in looking for her cat.

2. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

A free roaming male who isn’t even neutered... :(
    That does sound like she’s not very interested in cat welfare. Chances aren’t great that she‘ll listen to reason if he returns and she‘ll have him neutered at least?
    An entire male will roam far to mate, so he might just wander back one day, hope he will.

saartje likes this.
  3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As he is not neutered there's a chance he's not microchipped. :( We get lots of young un-neutered male cats in Rescue, all of them without microchips. and thus it's impossible to trace their owners.

Un-neutered male cats have a large territory (e.g. 5 square miles) and, when searching for a mate they may wander a long way from home. Too far from home to find their way back, in some cases.:(

Soozi and saartje like this.
  4. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Can only hope that he's found himself a new home with guardians who will love and care for him; or that he's been taken to a rescue where they will neuter him and find him a new home.

chillminx likes this.
  5. saartje

saartje Hallo

My neighbour told me her cat was on a special diet before he went missing but from the conversations I have had with her she isn't really bothered he has gone missing. I don't understand why she had the females spayed and the male was not neutered. The male cat is young I think my neighbour said he is 3 years old.

From my understanding all pets in the Netherlands need to be microchipped and registered on a government database.

Our Saartje (my partners and my cat) was spayed before we got her 9 years ago and microchipped. She is registered also on the governments database over here.

This is quoted off an Expat website in 2018.
    This is what Petbase says:-
    https://www.petbase.eu/en/microchipping-and-registering/microchipping-and-registering

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@saartje - I wonder what percentage of owners comply with this rule? And also I wonder how the system is 'policed', and what sanctions are imposed for any owner found not to be complying?

If a straying cat is found who is not microchipped then the owner can't be traced and so no sanction (e.g. a fine) can be imposed on the owner.

Perhaps in the Netherlands it is more usual for kittens to be microchipped before they leave the breeder? i.e. before they are neutered? In which case the missing cat could be microchipped.

In the UK most owners get their free roaming female cats spayed because they don't want the work and expense of raising litters of kittens. But some may see no reason to castrate their male cats. And if the un-neutered male cat starts spraying indoors he is no longer allowed in the house. This effectively denies the cat a safe, warm home, and so there is even more reason for him to wander off, and find himself another home.

moomoowawa and saartje like this.
  7. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

A friend of mine in the Netherlands has got two male cats. They are indoors only. But I had quite a job to persuade him to neuter. Luckily the vet told him so, too, when the boys were chipped and vaxed.

chillminx and saartje like this.
  8. Ottery

Ottery Cat Lady

I can't imagine how you can keep an unneutered male as a pet - surely he would be spraying everywhere and generally fairly anti-social. Not sure the two female cats would have enjoyed his company. He's probably wandered a long distance, I hope he hasn't come to grief and is lucky enough to find someone to take better care of him.

chillminx and saartje like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice