Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbours Cat hangs around in our garden all day.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by PeterCats, Aug 26, 2020.

1. PeterCats

PeterCats PetForums Newbie

About a month ago, my neighbours cat has been sleeping in my garden all day.
    My kids go out and pet him, he is really friendly and has created a bond with us up until the point where he tries to get into our house.

He has been sitting outside our living room window (on the ledge) for the past half an hour, meowing at us.
    After we go out and give him some attention, he ignores us. He then comes back and starts meowing at the window.

I'm quite concerned that he thinks our house is where he lives, is this the case? Are we being too friendly with him?

2. Mistys Mum

Mistys Mum PetForums Member

Does your neighbour let him in the house, are they out all day and does he seem well cared for? He might be looking for company.

3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

My sister's neighbours cat spends a lot of time in her garden and comes inside sometimes. The neighbours are out all day , they dont mind that he spends time at my sisters.

4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I would just mention this to your neighbours in case they have any objections. Also it would be useful to know if the cat is on a special diet or needs to avoid certain food/treats. As you have children it would be good to know if the cat is wormed regularly, and de-flead.

5. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

We have a neighbourhood cat who spends alot of his day at ours and often strolls in when the back door is open and will curl up in the kitchen! I do have to turf him out when he starts heading towards Popcorns food but my son adores him as hes so purry and loves strokes and really helps my son see what a cat is suppose to be like!! His owner is aware he comes to us and doesnt seem to mind as he goes back home for his meals and at night time! Maybe just mention it and check theyre ok with it! Poor kitty sounds like he wants company!

Orla likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

You could cat proof your garden to keep him out if he’s becoming a nuisance.

#6 Lurcherlad, Aug 31, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  7. Orla

Orla PetForums VIP

My beloved Tommy used to do this. He had previously been stray so was used to just going round the houses asking for food and attention. This continued years after he had found his forever home. I just had to let the neighbours know where he lived and not to feed him but as I was at work during the day, he continued to visit the retired neighbours or those who were at home right up until his death. He really just liked as much attention as possible. As long as the neighbours are aware and you aren’t feeding him or giving any medication and he is returning to his home, I wouldn’t worry too much unless his condition deteriorates and you suspect he isn’t able to return home x

Cully likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice