Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbourhood Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by boxerlife, Jul 30, 2009.

1. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

Hi All,

I have a problem with a male cat that lives on my road, he keeps coming in through our cat flap and eating my cats food!! He is not cared for properly, he is dirty and scruffy and is out in all weathers, day and night.
    I don't know what to do, he is obviously hungry so will do any thing to get food.
    I cannot approach the owners as they are not nice people and would not be able to talk civilised about this!
    I can't afford to feed him too, I buy arden grange which is expensive!!
    also my cat does not get on with him and they do fight.
    Please help...

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Can you fit one of the cat flaps with magnetic locks, the ones where the cat wears a tag that unlocks it, then he wouldn't be able to get in.

3. nurseberyl

nurseberyl PetForums Member

I used to have this problem with my old cat, in the end the family that owned the cat moved away thankfully! they would wake me up fighting all over the house so I used to block the cat flap at night. or you could get one thats controlled by your cats microchip if they have one. its not fair on your cat no matter how sorry you feel for the other one!

4. MySugar

MySugar PetForums Senior

If he is that badly cared for can you anonomously phone the RSPCA?
    With regards to coming in I think really the options probably the ones mentioned above. My Mum had the same problem with a cat that tormented her cat Amber and ate her food. But he just stopped coming in when she decided to stand her ground!
    I hope you find a solution.

5. boxerlife

boxerlife PetForums Junior

Thanks for your replies, I did think about phoning rspca, but dont think they will do much. Even though the cat is dirty and scruffy, he obviously is a very good food theif as he isn't thin!
    Looked into getting a magnetic cat flap but my cat is forever losing her collers and the magnet ones are expensive to replace. I have got a cat flap that I can lock at night but don't think thats fair on my cat and she likes to go in and out as she pleases.
    Oh well don't think there is much I can do!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice