Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Neighbour called council on me - noisy dogs!?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by keeleyjane19, Jun 3, 2010.

1. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello.

I live on a farm, in a cottage.

There are 2 cottages and that is it.

Semi detached.

My neighbour rang the coucil as one of my dogs were barking in the day between the 2 hours he sleeps (herdsman- milks cows)

Where do I stand?

Is it more than likely to blow over as we only have him as a neighbour?

What do we do??

They rarely bark anyway.

When we leave they bark for like 20 seconds then stopped (we tested this with baby monitors)

I'm so worried they will take my dogs away!!

Especially as I run a dog business...it's my job and my source of income!!

HELP!!

2. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Did he give you any indication that they were annoying him? Has he given you an opportunity to resolve it?

I would start to act now and document everything so that you have evidence to show that you have tried.

Video them when you are out so that you have recorded evidence of times etc.

3. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Ok thanks, he hasn't spoken to us!! The council just turned up to his house and have said nothing to us!!

I will write down my assessments on my dog, when I leave, how long they bark for, and the time.

I rarely leave them, they only bark if someone knocks at the door or they hear something suddenyl like a bang xx

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I'm faced with this as it seems my neighbours upstairs have been calling the landlady AND council about my dog barking (but I have not heard anything from council except unofficially on the phone from a different department).

I noticed a few months ago he seems more barky than usual, so have been working hard to get him to be quiet - he will now stop after just a couple of barks. I've also recently had a behaviourist in (about a different issue), but that seemed to interest the council woman on the phone, it's obvious I am a responsible dog owner.

If you can show you are doing something to rectify the situation it will be in your favour, so do start keeping a log of when you hear them bark as a first-off, even just to prove they aren't barking as much as claimed. But it's surprising how much more you notice once you do start keeping tabs!

There are acceptable levels of barking allowed - a few seconds every few hours is not likely to be an issue. It's constant barking for hours on end that they are usually most concerned about. And with respect to your neighbour, you can't be expected to tiptoe around or change your life just because he works shifts.

5. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Thank you so so much.

We have 2 dogs staying with us at the moment which I think might of kicked it of.

I sort of kept log, and they bark about midday for like 10 seconds?

I tell them enough and they stop.

When they are quiet I give them chew sticks to occupy them.

They really don't bark that much, I have to keep them quiet as my 4 month old needs to nap!!

Thanks for your advice xx

6. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

#6 MerlinsMum, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

8. michaelasi

michaelasi PetForums VIP

bloody hell u lot seems to have neighbors from hell ... what on earth is going on with them , is because is to warm out side?

9. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I think so!!

He has NEVER complained!!

I'm going to keep a written diary of when they bark, why they are barking, the time and how long it lasts!!

Some days they don't even bark and when they do its excitement of going for walk or they have heard a sudden sound!

GRRRR to grumpy neighbours! x

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Must be something in the air or the water as keeley is not that far away from me, both on the south coast (or near!).

11. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

i get it here sometimes...we are a very tight knit community and there are several people who just dont like the sound of a dog barking and make sure everyone knows it! however,,,, everyone who knows me and my dog Lucy knows that she only barks if there is someone around that shouldnt be or if someone she knows is approaching. after that she is quiet. my foster dog has only barked twice since he has been with me. the people complaining about my dogs are the same people who party late into the night, bang things around, and generally make a nuisance of themselves. my landlord knows me and my dogs so i am not worried! i dont think it will be me being evicted any time soon...lol
    :thumbup:

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Ha! well I just got the letter from the council. It's the two blokes upstairs (I was told) who are complaining - they are trying to sell their flat so that's why.

I fail to see how the council will find it unacceptable barking, as he's rarely left alone and NEVER barks constantly. He'll bark at the cats in the garden but gets called in straight away, and is never left out there alone. He also doesn't suffer from SA - it's alert barking to sounds outside.

The really annoying thing is that I've apologised in the past to the chaps upstairs when he barked at 3am one night when there was a fox outside, and they said they hadn't heard him!

And they've not had the good grace to say anything to me in person at all. I hope the council hurry up and install some monitoring equipment.

What with being evicted anyway, it feels like I'm being harassed from every quarter. In fact, why should I bother being worried at all, as I probably won't be here that much longer?

13. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Awww dude, keep that chin up eh?

We got our pup and he screamed non-stop for ages. I had to go to both my neighbours and apologise in advance. One side said they couldn't hear him as he was in the kitchen with the doors shut, and they sleep at the front of the house anyway. And the other side were just really pleased I had a dog, as they were getting one too and were worried about it as the woman living in my house before hand was a cow and complained at the slightest bit of noise, aparently!

There are 3 dogs now on our row of 4 houses. Rupert, Sasha (Rotty) and Fiddy (Weimeraner). All three of them get on like a house on fire and its great as we all try and look out for one another.

You never know, your next place might be miles better! :thumbup:

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

At this rate there isn't going to be another place, as I can't raise enough money to rent anywhere else....

I am wondering that because these neighbours have been onto my landlord about this behind my back, and have never spoken to me about it in person, plus I now know it was they who called the RSPCA in March (clean sheet, nothing wrong!), whether this consitutes harassment?

15. dalpup

dalpup PetForums Member

I feel for you too!! We are having to leave our house too, not because of us but because our landlord is not doing certain things they should be :mad: we are literally on borrowed time now and like you cant raise a deposit etc as this wasnt planned so we will have to go to a temp house :( hope you get sorted with somewhere too xx

16. Kelly2774

Kelly2774 PetForums Member

hope everything gets sorted out for you's both soon :) My neighbours love my dogs & dont mind them barking if they do which isnt that often at all just if someone comes to the door or passes the back fence etc xx

Though someone did call the sspca out to us about 2 years ago, someone complained saying tht we had 7 dogs tht were all underweight, never walked etc :( i was really upset and the inspector was shocked tht the complaint was totally wrong x

17. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I kept a log all day.

Pixie barked for 3 seconds in the morning as the postman posted post through.

They all barked when they heard my partner come in in the evening.

And that was it!!!

My 4 month old baby cried more than they barked!!

xxx

18. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

If you sell a property you have to state whether you have had run ins with neighbours etc it thye are noisey otherwise I am sure you can get into trouble..

Re dogs barking I have two medium dogs... They bark if someone they don't know is around I don't leave them in the garden etc.. But have been here a year and the council came the other day and said I need to chop my bushes down and must clean up the dog poop after every poopa jobbie.. I clean up once a day.... Now there is a dog by mine I think its a lab that seems to be barking till gone 2am most nights..... Drives me out of my head... But would I go and tell them.. I am not sure... As they could say its mine barking... If someone did.. I think I would ship them too my mums for a few weeks to prove its not mine....

19. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i know how you feel because when we had kandy are labradore a few years ageo we got a new neighbour and he hated our dog and was always moning about her barking she didnt bark that much but some people cant leave thing alone he went round all our neighbour got a partion to get up moved or get our dog out we had vists for the council but in the end nothing came of it and he moved on to reporting the big trees and then moved now life is less stressful but i mess kandy as she died a year ageo it will proble blow over it just so much stress for nothing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice