Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Needy, crying cat

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by hjorose, Jul 17, 2009.

1. hjorose

hjorose PetForums Newbie

I have a two year old male Ragdoll called Theo who I have had since a kitten. He is a housecat due to the nature of this breed although I allow him out occasionally in the garden supervised.

The problem I have with Theo is his crying. He cries ALOT. Sometimes it's hard to work out what he wants as he'll walk round the house, then come in to the room I'm in to cry for a few minutes, then he'll go back for a walk. This will sometimes continue for around an hour. When I leave the house my housemate tells me he sits by the door crying for me to come back and can be heard by the neighbours. Generally when I'm here he is very quiet and will be content. He is very much loved and always gets a cuddle when I get home and he'll get another cuddle at bedtime and sit by me while I'm asleep. I try not to give him TOO much attention so he becomes reliant on me but at the same time I don't want him to feel he doesn't have enough attention.

I've tried everything I can think of to stop the crying- ignoring him, loudly imitating his cries when he does it, buying lots of toys (he's not interested), playing with him (he'll get bored within minutes), picking him up for a cuddle (he only wants a cuddle on his terms, i.e he has to jump up on your lap), spraying him with water when he cries. I've even brought him the Feliway room diffuser which has had no effect what so ever.

I'm at the end of my teather, I would never consider giving him up but my housemate can't take it anymore and it's causing a lot of arguements! I'm considering getting another cat so he'll have some company, but I don't want to make the situation worse by ending up with two mad cats!

Attached Files:

#1 hjorose, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  2. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Has he always been like this, or is this a sudden change in his behaviour. If it is a sudden change then I would get a vet check, just to rule out some kind of medical issue. If its not, then it could be that he is lonely when you are not there and bored if he doesn't get 100% of your attention all the time. In those circumstances picking out a friend for him could be a solution. I don't know much about ragdolls, but some breeds much prefer having feline company. Just make sure you pick a kitten with the kind of temperament and personality that would go well with Theo.

3. hjorose

hjorose PetForums Newbie

He's always been "needy" but he's getting worse and worse, I have moved from a flat to a house 6 months ago which I thought would be better for him as at least he would have more room and occasional access outside.

4. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

sorry i dnt have any advice but i jst wanna say that he is gorgeous and i wud be cuddlin and kissin him all day. he wud have me wrapped round his little finger with thos eyes

5. ellie8024

ellie8024 PetForums VIP

if he has always been like that i would say he is lonely especially if he is really bad when you go out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice