Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

needing some advice on german shepherds

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Punkkitty, May 20, 2010.

1. Punkkitty

Punkkitty PetForums Newbie

hiya

new to this forum, hoping anyone can help..

about a year ago i bought a gorgeous german shepherd male, couldnt ask for a better dog :) although we have had a few problems with him its nothing drastic, like chewing.. which is a typical puppy thing.

he is now 18 months old, had the snip already.

so heres the problem..

when i take him for a walk, hes fine, off the lead no problems what so ever with other people or dogs.

but just recently he has started taking a disliking to certain people, yesterday he nipped my neighbour and was barking at him with hackles raised.. a couple of my friends have come up to me at our local pub and hes barked at them. also, he has got quite protective of our house and people are scared to come in unless he is locked in a room..

never had this problem with our dogs before so what can i do?

thanks for any help :)

2. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Hi there :) My girl is also 18 months old and she's going through the adolescent phase. She's not become protective but she has become much more talkative and can be very disobedient at times.

I would say this is the same for your boy. I wouldn't call it human aggression especially if he's never been like this.

Do you know if there'a certain trigger for him acting the way he does? Something the person does, or certain noises etc?

More people will be along with much better advice than I :)

3. Punkkitty

hey
    well to begin with while i was at work if my parents took him for a walk all the sudden hed bark at random people or jump up, hes not doing that as much now.

but there doesnt seem to be a trigger, its just certain people, both our neighbours especially. i was walkin down the road with him and he just ran at this bloke barking, hackles and then nipped him... i just dont understand it at all... first year was great, its just been the last couple of months :confused:

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You may want to get a behaviourist in to help xx

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,were your parents at all nervous or worried about walking him? If they tensed up when someone was walking towards them or were concerned about 'what if' when they walked him,it may have made him anxious.
    Do you tense up when he begins to behave this way when out or do you calmly correct him?

6. Punkkitty

nah they were not tense as they had nothing to worry about, but after he did it they obviously became llike it and i told them the same thing, not to be as they sense it... since theyve been more relaxed hes got better but again he had jumped at someone this morning and it was out of the blue again.

when he gets llike it i firmly tell him no and call him back but he sort of gets tunnel vision and its hard to stop him..

to make matters worse ive ust had the neighbour round threatening to call the police

7. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Ah,really tough for you eh.
    Hopefully others will be along to offer advise soon.But i think it may be a good idea to seek a trainer or behaviourist with this,so it doesnt get any worse.You dont want to lose him,so you need to get him sound again.
    Try having him on a halti when you walk him,and divert his attention before he gets distracted by maybe keeping treats on you.Have you had him checked by the vet,to make sure theres underlying medical porblem?
    I hope you get it sorted,sorry i cant help anymore.

8. Punkkitty

hey

ok bad news
    this has really annoyed me as im doing anything i can to sort it otu

hes threatened to phone the police unless i get rid of him.
    id rather he went to a experienced home than have him put down.
    so if you know of anyone please contact me.
    not just that but as i live with my parents, its their house their rules and they want him gone now. :(

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Im really sorry to hear that :(

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Oh that's sad..... I've just seen you live in Portsmouth..... snap! :D

Best idea is have a chat to Carol the Dog Warden, she's great and has LOADS of experience with GSDs. She may be able to point you in the direction of a good trainer, PLUS she knows the law inside out if you are worried about the threats. The new kennels in Hilsea are bigger than the old ones so they may even have room to take him in an emergency. Better that than Stubbington!

I may also be able to help with rehoming as I have friends who work for local vets and do dog rescue work. I do hope it doesn't come to that and I can sympathise as I have a difficult dog myself - if you want the very best Behaviourist/trainer in the area then call Barbs:
    Naughty Corner Training - Home

best wishes :) don't hesitate to PM me if I can be of more help :)

simplysardonic likes this.
  11. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

let him go to the police wont do much if its just a nip, You'll get a warning.

I'd muzzle him and get a behaviourist in, if your parents are willing to give him a second chance.

Good luck if not try the german shepard rescue

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

PS: Nearest agility is in Clanfield with Homested - Brenda Mizen
    Agility Training
    It's fairly easy to get to by bus; I used to make the trip all the way from Southsea.

13. Punkkitty

thanks for that
    clanfield is just up the road from me il have a look at that

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Not necessarily, my dog nipped and tore someone's clothing and I was called into the cop shop and charged under DDA Section 3. Deadly serious and was advised to have a solicitor present!!!! :eek:

15. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm so sorry about your dog & hope you can get it sorted out without getting rid of him
    Merlin's Mum, I have given you rep for your helpful post:)

16. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That's really sad :(

We had a GSD, and she was highly strung. One thing I was told which turned out to be invaluable was not to shut the dog away when you have company. I was encouraged to take her to the door with me every time someone came, and sound excited to see whoever it was.

It could be that he is particularly sensitive, and can sense peoples fear a lot quicker than the average GSD, and they can be pretty sensitive! If this is the case it might be an idea to see if you can enquire about having him tested to see if he would be suitable as a police dog perhaps? I'm not sure what the requirements are for police dogs, so I may be totally off. But if his senses are that good he could make an excellent drug sniffer perhaps?

He is gorgeous and it would be such a shame to see him go into rescue. If I had the room I'd of loved to have taken him, sorry :( I hope the is a solution for you, so you can keep him, that would be even better!

17. Punkkitty

thanks you :)
    it just seems like their dead set on him going
    never had to shut him away, when people come to the door i keep him there i undderstand all this, my dads good to but my mum is the most intolerable person youd ever meet, especially with dogs! shes wanted him gone for a whille so now its the final straw :(

18. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I did a little googling, I hope you don't mind :)

I found something that could possibly be of interest to you. It's a little out of date, but might be worth considering:

Has your puppy the skills to be a police dog? - Portsmouth Today

I do still hope you can find a solution, but if not there are a few options for you, and hope this could be one of them. Your doggy could be a hero some day. How proud would that make you feel? :)

19. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Was he not on lead?

20. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Doesn't matter. My dog was on lead when he nipped. DDA Sec 3 is "Dog dangerously out of control in a public place" which also means if the person nipped was afraid of being hurt or bitten, that's enough for a charge.

Dog only has to bark and frighten someone to be liable under Sec 3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice