Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Needing Advice from Insect. Experts

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by Geko, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

Hey Guys my name is Connor and this is my first thread:D
    I have my 14th birthday coming up in about 4 months and I wanna buy an Insect Pet with the money I get I am looking for a cheap low maintenece insect probably with a max amount of £70 for the Insect and tank etc.

All advice welcome, Post your Comments below

Thanks in Advance,
    Connor (Geko)

2. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

If it's definitely an insect you want then Cockroaches make good pets. Lots of people don't like them, but they are under rated in my opinion! The Madagascan hissers are big and easy to handle, easy to house an feed and can live for a good 3-5 years, even longer.

Stick insects also make good pets, however they can be delicate animals so need careful handling, don't really live too long and most breed asexually (on their own, so expect lots of eggs) They are cheap to buy and look after though.

If you are after an exotic pet, but not an insect, then Giant African Millipedes make fantastic pets.

Let me know once you have decided on what you want and I will give you lots more info.

3. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

I all really depends as my mother hates creepy crawlies! :eek:hmy:
    Which do you think is the best of the three for a beginner as I have only ever kept Hamsters and Goldfish?
    Also which takes up the least amount of space and is the most docile?

Thanks Miss
    Geko

4. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

They are all perfect beginner pets. I have kept all 3 and currently keep cockraoches and Millipedes. (I have around 200 Millipedes at the moment, as they have bred)

I would favour the Millipede.
    They do however need a medium/large sized cage, as they generally grow to be around 6-12 inches depending on the species.
    Giant African, or sometimes they are called Train Millipedes are what you want.

I keep mine is an ordinary under bed storage box, which cost £5 from Instore. I have drilled holes all over the lid and also all around the top of the sides.

This would be perfect Wilko Underbed Storage Box and Lid Clear at Wilkinson Plus

The substrate to use is Coir, which you can buy in blocks from eBay. You could use regular compost from garden centre's, but a lot contain pesticides, which will kill your Millipede.
    They like places to hide - I cut a small plastic plant pot in half for them to hide under, but I also use pieces of cork bark.

It's best to provide a heat mat them - they will tolerate lower temperatures but it's best to recreate what they would get in the wild.
    You just need one to cover around a third of the tank, so that he can choose whether he wants to be warm or cool.

However, to stop this literally cooking your pet, or melting the plastic cage, it needs to be connected to a Mat Thermostat
    Search Habistat Mat Thermostat. You can buy them from ebay, reptile stores online or any reptile pet shop.

One of the really good things about Millipedes is they rarely need cleaning out. I would clean them out, and by only replacing about half of the soil, about once a year. They will condition the soil themselves.

Millipedes are incredibly docile. You may need to spend a little time getting to know each other, but I take my Millipedes to birthday Parties and they get handled by the children all the time, they never curl up and love wandering around on peoples hands.

Where were you planning on buying your new pet?

This is just a taster, if you do 100% decide on a Millipede then there is some more information I will tell you.

5. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

Please tell me more:p
    Iwas intending to buy it online by the way, If my parents let me get one for my birthday would you send me one of yours? Ill pay.

6. You can find bugs on the internet. Look on eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace - theres lots there, under the category of 'Food' (eBay's rules)
    Theres also plenty of pet (bug) accessories you can find cheaply on there too!
    As long as you have Paypal, its all safe and easy

Good luck in finding one!
    Hannah x

7. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

Thanks Hannah Ijust wanna ask Miss first as it is probably a more reliable source and it is easier to keep in Contact

8. MissG

MissG PetForums VIP

If your parents agree, then yes, I would happily give you one of mine.

They are only babies at the moment though, probably around 2.5 centimeters long. I was looking at finding new homes for them in a couple of months time, when they are bigger.

I will PM you, so we can discuss it further, it might be best I give you my phone number so you mum can give me a call.

9. ....zoe....

....zoe.... PetForums VIP

hey missG

if you are planning on getting homes for these awsum insects then id love to have 1 mayb 2 off you,

can i ask what they feed on ?? im guessing it fruit and veg but is there any certain food they need ?

also do they prefer to be in groups or not bothered ?

do they like dark areas ?

how easy do they breed ?

how quick do they grow ?

soz about all the questions but ive always been interested in these

thanks

p.s did you want anything for them (money wise) ??

10. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I used to have 3 Macleays spectre spiny leaf insects, they were great pets and look really impressive, theyare about the size of your hand when fully grown and all they need is some branches so they can feed on the leaves and you need to spray the leaves twice a day so they get moisture. You can get the eggs off Ebay really cheaply anf they have quite a high hatch rate. Ours lived for about 18 months.

Insects and Arthropods » Stick Insects » Macleay's Spectre Stick Main Page

11. ....zoe....

i have 2 female macleys that are due to have eggs in about a month im guessing but will be quite a long time till they hatch and thats only if they do hatch.

this is the second time i have had macleys and i find them great, facinating insects. and very easy to look after as long as you know how to look after weeds lol

although i would think that millipedes are a bit more interesting for younger kids and arent as fragille compared to the macleys

12. connor

connor PetForums Newbie

thats a nice name connor

13. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

:lol:
    Thanks for everyones Input so far.
    I will consider Stick Insects but it might actually take more than a year to get them as I have to wait for my Hamster to pass away first and he is a year old and they can live up to 2 to 3 years:D

14. connor

connor PetForums Newbie

come on get some they are so simple :001_tt2:

15. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

It really just depends when the time comes my Dad says I can get any Exotic Pet aslong as it aint a Tarantula as my mum is an Arachniphobe so I am considering either a Millipede a Stick Insect or a Corn Snake:)

16. ....zoe....

i have baby corn snakes rready to go now, got 13 avaliable and 9 due in 1 week

i am selling them for £20 each

17. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

That's a great price:)
    I would buy one from you when I am able to get one:)
    What colourations do you have, Pictures?

Geko

18. ....zoe....

brilliant

they are the normal colours (orange,cream and brown)

the first pipcture is of the mum, the rest are the babies

Attached Files:

19. Geko

Geko PetForums Newbie

I must admit Zoe they are absolouetly gorgeous babies and the mother looks like a prize snake!;)
    They would be great for the price it just really depends when I am actually able to get an exotic pet.

20. ....zoe....

well im sure i will have them for quite a period of time due to the numbers that i have to rehome, so just let me when you ready to have them/one or if you deff want one and il be grateful to sell one to you.

if i do start to get low on them i will get in contact with you to ensure that you want one and i can keep one back for you.

thanks for the compliment on mum snake, she is a lovely snake and a brilliant temprement :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice