Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Needing advice...cat and kitten fighting

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by chesca13, Mar 27, 2011.

1. chesca13

chesca13 PetForums Member

I know that it isnt an easy thing getting two cats to be friends but just wondered any of you who have introduced a cat and kitten how long did it take, we got Noodles(8 weeks) on thursday night and him and Rhubarb(7 months) were getting on ok, few hisses from both sides and a few bops on the head but now on day 4 they seem to have gone back a step as Rhubarb has strated to sometimes pin him down and what looks like give him a little bite, i get her off him straight away he doesn't seem to be squealing the he gets up and just bats her back so it doesn't seem to bother him, is it ok that i let it get to that or should i get her away from him when they start hissing. Also today Rhubarb has been a bit off all she had to eat was her breakfast and she was picking at that untill about 12 o'clock(she sometimes does that so didnt really worry then) and has pretty much been asleep since then untill about 10 mins ago she was sick and did a really soft poo(she's never had any problems with her poo untill today) and now she has gone back to sleep could that be caused by the upset of Noodles coming or do you think maybe he had a germ that he got form one of the other cats and given it to her??? I just feel like i dont know what to do anymore and now i feel bad for upsetting Rhubarbs life and making her sick :sad:

2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Introductions usually go better when the cats are introduced gradually using baby gates or doors which are stopped so that the cats can see and smell each other but not actually touch each other.

4 days isnt that long for an introduction. it needs to go a little slower if you are having issues.

3. chesca13

He is staying in the spare room, he sleeps in there at night and comes out for a few hours at a time in the day(unless they both fall asleep downstairs) i know its going to take more than 4 days just wanting to know about other people experiences and roughly how long it took.

4. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

Hun...dont panic..honestly if you go and read my thread back on page 13 or 14....this sounds exactly like what happened to me with Honey and Indy in the first week.

The first couple of days hissing stalking a few paw swipes..and i thought wow this will be a doddle and then they got more comfortable and the fighting and dominance establishing began!!!!!

Its hard to watch and i kept on separating them..but really not the best thing to do.....in the end a friend came around and we let them got on with it and when i started to buckle and want to get involved..she stopped me..we would distract them with toys and things if it went on for too long but otherwise watched but didnt get involved.

I could tell it wasnt scaring Indy because she wasnt cowering under the sofa and she kept coming back for more!!

Everyone on here told me on here that there would be a clear difference in sound and body language if they were really hurting each other.
    A friend of mines husband who works for the rspca came around and observed them for a while and told me the same and also joked that if honey had wanted to kill indy she would of done it by now ;)

Even though there were squeals from indy...trust me there is a difference when they are really hurting..as i found out the other day when indy got her paw twisted over and over again in the beaded cord to my vertical blinds and i couldnt release her and the noise that came out of her was horrible and she was biting hard...had to cut my blinds in the end to get her paw out...she is fine though :)

This all sounds exactly like the pattern my two took...just monitor the physical stuff..after a few days i got used to it and would leave the room or go upstairs to the loo without worrying about them fighting...you almost have to let them do this to get to the next stage :)

Now when my two are fighting (normally initiated by indy !!) i just walk past and tell them to pack it in !!:D

You havent made Rhubarb sick hun...honey did have a couple of soft poos the week Indy came ..i put it down to the change in the house...and it soon rectified itself .

I know Rhubarb has been sick again this could be the reason...just keep an eye on her and make sure she is drinking...obviously if she continued to be sick..give the vet a ring.

When Honey was sick and had runny poos at christmas..it just ended up being dietary.....just keep an eye on it and give her lots of cuddles..you will know if you have to ring the vets...if shes sick again..give them a call.

i am assuming Noodles has been wormed and flead..so its probably not anything to do with him....just the change in the household.

i have been there and know exactly how you are feeling...pls keep your chin up...as you told me a few weeks ago..it will get better...promise..you are brilliant mummy to your fur babies and they will be the better for it in the end :):):)

big hugs coming your way

kelly xxx

ps my turning point was day 6...let them be together all day when i was off work..did the same thurs...by fri day 7
    i was at work they were cuddling and left together by themselves

#4 honeysmummy, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
    chesca13 likes this.
  5. honeysmummy

have a good day .hope your fur babies behave :):)

6. chesca13

Thank you for your advice, i re-read that thread after reading this, well i got half way through then Noodles walked across the keyboard and made each tab close one by one, i swear them two can find keys on here i never knew existed, but after getting it back up and reading it i felt alot better then when we went upstairs to go to bed Rhubarb picked up a bit, her face looked alot brighter.
    She only had some water she brought a bit of that back up but i think that was just because she had it on an empty stomach and she had been doing a bit of running after Noodles, then we went to bad she went to sleep in her box at the top of the stairs she normally sleeps in ther but then at about 6am she will come onto the bad but she hasn't since having Noodles but this morning at 6 i woke to 4 heavy paws on my stomach it took a second to click then my eyes welled up and as she settled down beween us i elbowed OH in the ribs to wake him to see who had come to join us the she did her loud purr that hasn't been heared for a few days and she was there till i got up at 8.
    Then this morning the two of them have been better, only hissing was from Noodles when Rhubarb had him pinned but i left them and she only had him for a few seconds then let him go, it was quite funny to watch them today they ran in one room her chasing him then ran out him chasing her.
    Rhubarb has only had a few biscuits and water this morning and *finger crossed* its stopped down and Noodles has had a few of her biscuits he didnt seem bothered before but he seemed to like them, Rhubarb was giving me such a look as if to say "i can't eat his but he can eat mine!!"
    So things are getting better and i feel a bit more like me today :thumbup:

Oh and yes the little man has been wormed and flead.

#6 chesca13, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  7. honeysmummy

Hi...so glad things are getting better and you feel better as well. That must of been so nice when Rhubarb climbed into bed with you after not doing it for a while :D

Hoping Rhubarb has eaten and had something to drink today...plastic syringes of water in the mouth are always good for making sure they get hydrated if you are worried.

Each day will get a little less stressful and you will start to think why you were getting so upset in the first place.

I still worry about my two every day.....good mummies do ;)

It will get more enjoyable for you now hun...let us know how today went xx
    :):)

8. chesca13

Well today has been the best so far!! My stress level had been at 0 all day, i have been able to leave them alone in one room while i was in another. They have had a few nose rubs and i think Rhubarb would be affectionate towards him but then he bats her and she backs off but she gives him lots of sniffs and he has started sniffing her they also have been using each others litter trays and when he has used one she goes and has a look where hes been, do you think that might be to see if he's done it right?? He is a good little digger when it comes to that makes a big hole then covers it with a little mountain of litter.
    Rhubarb has been a lot better today, ive only let her have biscuits as her meat has a high meat content so if her tummy was still a bit delicate didn't want to upset it but she has been fine on just the biscuits and drinking lots so i think we're all good there and Noodles has been eating her biscuits today after he had some this morning i mixed some in with his whiskers but he just left the whiskers ones, so hopefully i can get him onto them and then next week try some meat.
    Its felt like a normal day today, i have been able to get things done in the house(only now i have 8 paws helping!!:rolleyes:)

9. honeysmummy

WOOT WOOT YEHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i know that feeling of relief well...the first day you dont have a knot in the
    stomach....sounds like they are taking the exact same pattern as my two
    so pleased for you hun...it just keeps getting better...apart from the constant
    worrying we will always do about our fur babies :eek::eek:

Really pleased for you...its cheered me up..i am sat at my desk with a thumping headache feeling sorry for myself..but your post has made me smile

love kelly xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice