Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Need your advice re epilepsy!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by wrighty, Aug 12, 2009.

1. wrighty

wrighty PetForums Newbie

Hi guys and girls my names lisa and my dog is teddy and he`s 7 years old and has suffered epilepsy since he was 2!
    He`s currently on epiphen 90mg in the morning 90mg at night! And epilease 750mg in the morning 750mg at night! Which was upped to this strength in june! Since this weve had one fit in 8 weeks which is good for ted as he was having them weekly!
    Now i gave ted a bath and shaved him on friday and since that he`s been very unwell! The vets have advised me its not his bath etc thats done this its the drugs he`s on???
    Now would he take two months to show signs that the drugs are too much for him?? Almost changing overnight!
    He`s very lethargic and can hardly stand up looking like he`s had one too many gins! Apart from this he`s fine! he gets very tired and is asleep most the time! He`s very unsteady on his pins bless him and has the twitches!
    He had blood tests to show his drug levels and looks like the vet will be changing this! Just awaiting results!
    I forgot to mention theyve also put him on antibiotics in case he has an infection????
    poor teds eh! he`s my life and would like to get this sorted once and for all! Any info or if anyones in the same situation please help! lis:wink5:

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sometimes they can take awhile to react to medication, especially as many take time to build up within the dogs system.

Cant offer any advice personally. I hope his bloods came back ok, and you get him settled on some new meds.

3. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hiya-poor Teddy!
    Has your vet taken any blood samples to measure his phenobarbitone levels?If not may be something to ask them about.Also may be asking about liver supplements (samylin,hepatosyl)while he is on his epilepsy medication as teh medication can sometimes have affects on the liver.One last wee thing is vets will sometimes prescribe potassium bromide tablets in conjuction with the epilepsy tablets.This can help to lower the dose of the epiphen tablets and decrease the frequency of the fits and also the drunkeness effects.The epiphen will most likely be causing him to look/act drunk!Anyway wee list for you to have a wee chat to your vet!Hope this helps and hope Teddy feeling bit better soon. :D

4. wrighty

wrighty PetForums Newbie

Cheers guys as i said yes he had a blood test yesterday and yes phenybarb levels are fine but the bromide is 28 and should be no higher than 25 so weve got to lower that! And see how he goes! Altho this is gonna take time hopefully this is what it is! Fingers crossed!
    Still very drunk bless him! Just want me old ted back! xx

5. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Aw thats fab - you seem to have a very knowledgeable vet there:DX

6. wrighty

wrighty PetForums Newbie

He`s a good friend of mine so knows the ins and outs of ted! And is round here once a week to visit us! :wink5:

7. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hehe now thats the kind of vet you need lol!If only they were all like that!:D

8. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

aww poor ted, what breed? bless him - hope he starts to feel better soon x

9. wrighty

wrighty PetForums Newbie

Teds is a collie cross with a lakeland terrier!
    Still very much the same today! Getting meself in quite a state with worry tho the vet said dont expect a miracle its gonna take time for tablets to adjust in his system! But he keeps looking at me with those eyes as if to say help mum whats wrong with me!!! xx

10. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

aww bless - must be so hard for you - I don't kmowe how I would cope. hugs xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice