UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master of the Whingey Cat.
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is purely a ranting post, just to be warned :eek:

Basically, it's mid October, I've been back at uni for 4 weeks and I have no student loans coming in.

I'm entitled to a Maintenance Grant, which is non-repayable, as our household income is under 20k (note that I've had this for the past 2 years). Mum's sent them loads of evidence: Tax Returns, Bills, Payslips...the lot! But they're saying they still need more before they can assess me for a grant!!!! :mad:

And just to add fuel to the fire, the uni's cancelled both of my bursaries and scholarships- one of which I worked bloody hard for- because the finance hasn't been confirmed. I'm LIVID!!

Thankfully, I'm still living at home, but I'm panicking now. I only work 6 hours a week (ironically, so I can fit it in with studying), and am having to rely on my monthly pay from that. It's hardly anything.

Plus, at the moment, my fees aren't being paid.

I'm not in a good place :(

·
Super Moderator
29,636 Posts
You have my sympathies, I'm too knackered to write the possibly Tolstoy-sized novel of a rant about Student Finance, but I have had nothing but trouble with them since my first year, every year it's something else:rolleyes:
It's a nightmare:mad:

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have my sympathies, I'm too knackered to write the possibly Tolstoy-sized novel of a rant about Student Finance, but I have had nothing but trouble with them since my first year, every year it's something else:rolleyes:
It's a nightmare:mad:
I have trouble every year, too, it gets worse and worse every time! And all I want is the same funding as I have had previously!!

They'll be on the ball when it comes to paying them back though, I bet :mad:

What a nightmare for you :( Hope they sort it soon and you get all your bursaries back too.
Thank you! I hope so, too, it's just ridiculous now!!

·
Super Moderator
29,636 Posts
I have trouble every year, too, it gets worse and worse every time! And all I want is the same funding as I have had previously!!

They'll be on the ball when it comes to paying them back though, I bet
:mad:

Thank you! I hope so, too, it's just ridiculous now!!
Oh yes!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
student finance i hate....im soo glad i get NHS bursuary otherwise i would have to quit uni as they keep sending me forms through.

I know how you feel...they are useless. NHS bursuary is much more easier!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Everyone I know has problems with them during the beginning of term they really are hopeless.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
My son has just got his although he applied months ago.

My advice would be to go and see them and get the name of the person dealing with your case and find out exactly what it is they still require and when the likelihood is that they will pay you.

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My son has just got his although he applied months ago.

My advice would be to go and see them and get the name of the person dealing with your case and find out exactly what it is they still require and when the likelihood is that they will pay you.
I will try and find that out ASAP. Thank you! :)

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Sorry your having hassles :( Hope you get it sorted soon. I thought you could apply for finance up to six months after starting your course?

When I applied for student finance I was asked to send my documents, so sent my documents only for them to send my birth certificate back a week later! Only for them to write to me a week after that to say they hadn't received it and could I send it to them again :rolleyes: Apart from that the application went through successfully.

If it helps you any, my course tutor told me that the Welsh student finance system is so much more disorganised than England! Makes you wonder what the Welsh students are having to put up with.

·
Registered
26,620 Posts
sounds awful, i hope you get it sorted soon!

my third year i had hell with them. they wouldnt pay the grant or loan in because apparently soeone had frozen my account. i had no credit on my phone and no money to put credit on my phone. and no food. i was using my flatmates phone to ring them every day.
my bank wouldnt help out or extend my overdraft (even though i was only on first yea overdraft) i tried ringing them to explain. they said i would have to go into the bank. the bank i could have gone to was in glasgow, edinbugh or aberdeen, there was no hsbc in stirling t the time. i didnt have the f*cking train fair.

the only upside to the whole situation was i didnt need to pay rent cuse i was working for the uni at the time.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
You know if half of these civil service employees had to make it in the private sector they would not last the first three months, then maybe when they have had a taste of the medicine they dish out they would realise how ineffective their methods are and the hardship they cause in the process!

·
7,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds awful, i hope you get it sorted soon!

my third year i had hell with them. they wouldnt pay the grant or loan in because apparently soeone had frozen my account. i had no credit on my phone and no money to put credit on my phone. and no food. i was using my flatmates phone to ring them every day.
my bank wouldnt help out or extend my overdraft (even though i was only on first yea overdraft) i tried ringing them to explain. they said i would have to go into the bank. the bank i could have gone to was in glasgow, edinbugh or aberdeen, there was no hsbc in stirling t the time. i didnt have the f*cking train fair.

the only upside to the whole situation was i didnt need to pay rent cuse i was working for the uni at the time.
Wow, that sounds like an absolute nightmare!! Hearing about so many mishaps makes me wonder if anyone gets their funding smoothly :confused:

Sorry your having hassles :( Hope you get it sorted soon. I thought you could apply for finance up to six months after starting your course?

When I applied for student finance I was asked to send my documents, so sent my documents only for them to send my birth certificate back a week later! Only for them to write to me a week after that to say they hadn't received it and could I send it to them again :rolleyes: Apart from that the application went through successfully.

If it helps you any, my course tutor told me that the Welsh student finance system is so much more disorganised than England! Makes you wonder what the Welsh students are having to put up with.
Oh God, I dread to think what the Welsh system's like if it's worse than the English one! There must be nobody getting any money anywhere! :eek:

Know this all too well, my advice is to pester and don't take their bullsh*t answers!
Oh, I have been pestering. My Mum phoned last night to explain that what they're asking for is completely irrelevant to our situation. We don't have anything they're asking for. She got really angry and put down the phone.

I phoned again this morning, and they're now asking for solicitor letters. All I want is the same funding I've had before!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

The guy on the phone was quite understanding, though. I've now asked for a form so I can apply for a loan, as I'm giving up on the grant. I'm entitled to it, but they're just being ridiculous so I'll just have to get in more debt with a loan instead.

The loan application will take at least 6 weeks. I'm fuming!! Can't believe how unreasonable they're being! And to think, there'll probably be people getting the grant who don't even need one, people who are cheating the system. Makes me so upset, sometimes I wonder why I even bothered with uni :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.