Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

need to find a new home

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Apollo2012, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

We have two fancy goldfish. They are my daughters and she loves them but we don't have the space for them anymore. They live in a 70 ltr tank in her bedroom but they can't stay there we're in a smaller flat now and there's just nowhere to put them. But I can't find anyone who wants them. I want them to go to a good home with someone that will look after them. I promised my daughter that I will make sure they go to a good home she's upset that they can't stay but understands we just don't have the space.

Someone did offer to take them but I got a bad vibe about him (don't know why) and turned him down. Is there anywhere that they could go?? can fancy goldfish (oranda) go in a pond? Or is that just normal goldfish? People don't seem to want goldfish really but I can't let them go to just anyone either. I feel stupid being so choosy about where two fish go but I would feel so bad if something happened to them

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Do they need such a large tank?

I know they need more space than some people think, but that seems a lot?

If they can live happily in a smaller tank, I would change it and keep them

3. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

@Lurcherlad - yes they do due to being very messy fish that produce a lot of waste, and also growing larger than most people realise (the ones you see in the shops are all babies).

@Apollo - have you tried asking on dedicated fish forums such as http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/, and searching on Facebook for local fishkeeping groups? You're more likely to find experienced owners in places like this who can provide the right homes for your daughter's fish.

Re ponds, I've heard varying opinions concerning keeping orandas in a pond - they are one of the hardier fancy goldfish species and apparently some people do successfully keep them in ponds, but I would guess it depends on whereabouts you live and how low the temperature tends to drop in winter. If you do decide to give it a try, I'd wait until springtime when the weather warms up before introducing them, as right now the cold would be too much of a shock to their systems as they're not used to it. You may also need to invest in a pond heater for use in the coldest weather. I found an article here that may be of some help: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=3975

Thanks for caring about your fish enough to want to do the right thing for them :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Apollo2012

Apollo2012 PetForums VIP

Yes like NaomiM said mine are about a year and a half old so still very young when i bought them they were tiny and they already at least doubled in size. if anything I think 70ltrs is too small or will be as they get older and bigger.

Thank you I will have a look on the forum I didn't even think of that, all my local fish groups seem to be for tropical fish as I'm a member on them from when I kept tropical fish.

Thank you I don't have a pond though, but my brother knows a couple people who do, so was thinking of asking them if I can't find anyone but obviously don't want them going into a pond if they couldn't survive.

I feel stupid worrying about two fish but I can't help getting attached to any pet I have, I still remember having a goldfish as a little girl and I was devastated when it passed away after 2 years.

5. roy17

roy17 PetForums Newbie

You still have these

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Not mine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice